LegacyGT.com

Custom-made Sport Grill: S402 Replica Walkthrough ('05-'07 Legacy)

nospmoht04

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I havent had a day off since Easter but been doing as much as I can. I ended up tearing it apart and making some changes and it looks a lot better. I'm also waiting on some different lipping to show at my door which should be in this week. Emblem arrived so that will go on right when it's done.

I'm not going to put a deadline on it seeing as I haven't been able to know for sure when it's done but it's certainly in the later stages. I'll try and get pics up soon. Starting next Monday my schedule will be flipped around for 2 weeks and I won't be working till 12pm each day so I'm going to have a lot of time to make these in the mornings.

Updates and progress have been slow lately but I have all intentions of making these for you guys. One of the reasons I offered to do this originally was because I was supposed to be getting furloughed and only have a 4 day work week. Instead they have all but gone away and I'm working 7. I'll work around it and my schedule will change eventually. I'll let you know as soon as I get some things done. Thanks for the patience.

One of the reasons I offered to do this originally was because I was supposed to be getting furloughed and only have a 4 day work week. Instead they have all but gone away and I'm working 7. I'll work around it and my schedule will change eventually. I'll let you know as soon as I get some things done. Thanks for the patience.

If I was betting man I'd say you either work for the Government or aircraft....

Thank for the update.

Alright so I had some time to put in on the grill tonight and decided to stay up and get some work done on it. I'm done for the night but I thought it'd be cool to throw up a couple pics. I meant to have this whole thing done sooner and I think it's fair to at least show you what it looks like right now. Keep in mind that rough or mis-shaped looking edges can easily be filled in and sanded out and I'm still figuring out how to cut these exactly right.

The orange lip you see is just an extra section I had that I stuck on to show you the size of the lip that'll go there. It'll end up wrapping from about 2/3 the way up on the right side to 2/3 the way up on the left size and mold up into where the grill starts to curl back inward on the outer left and right edges. It's a silicon-rubber seal material that has a flat bottom to it.

The other version that I had half built had the honeycomb out too far and really had no clear definition of a lip on the upper part so the hood flowed down and pretty much ran into honeycomb. Even though the look is flush it needs to have that border there. I tore it apart and tweaked some things and it's looking better. I wanted to clear up any mistakes rather than sticking .:Catalyst:. with my subpar experiment.

There's still plenty of work left but here's the jist of how everything will look, and how the emblem sizes up to it. If there're any ideas you guys have or if you notice something is off with it, now's the time so feel free to speak your mind. Thanks again all.

001.thumb.jpg.4f27b81e9c37643e8a3456ce714109d1.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.382f440d3d8c9f3c4860838bedeb3102.jpg

Edited by nospmoht04

Here are another couple shots on the car. This is without the lip that will be there. It really looks a lot better in person, tough to see a good view by taking a picture but I figured it was better than nothing.

I really like this look. Is it possible to get the trim in black so it's black on black?

I really like this look. Is it possible to get the trim in black so it's black on black?

Oh it's unfinished, the whole thing will be painted black when it's done. That's the last step though. The final paint will look like it does in the original recessed grill I made.

It'll also have a lip that goes across the bottom and up the sides to match the look of the S402 version a bit more and it also covers the transition of the honeycomb to the grill for a smoother look.

Oh it's unfinished, the whole thing will be painted black when it's done. That's the last step though. The final paint will look like it does in the original recessed grill I made.

It'll also have a lip that goes across the bottom and up the sides to match the look of the S402 version a bit more and it also covers the transition of the honeycomb to the grill for a smoother look.

This might be the sexiest one you've made.... :)

I hope you find someone to mold the finished one for you so you can make them in mass because this is going to be one popular grille.

If you were able to get a hookup on an injection mold for this I'd do it if the cost wasn't like the $10+k they were quoting us with RBS stuff. I believe you said you work in the industry of fabrication so you might be able to get someone to give you some inside help on getting something setup for quick efficient production. I don't know exactly how many you can sell in total but I know the first 50 or so should be easy to sell if your price point is around the $250-$300 mark.

I hope you find someone to mold the finished one for you so you can make them in mass because this is going to be one popular grille.

If you were able to get a hookup on an injection mold for this I'd do it if the cost wasn't like the $10+k they were quoting us with RBS stuff. I believe you said you work in the industry of fabrication so you might be able to get someone to give you some inside help on getting something setup for quick efficient production. I don't know exactly how many you can sell in total but I know the first 50 or so should be easy to sell if your price point is around the $250-$300 mark.

Yeah at this point after seeing what's involved my pricing plan is to go $245 for materials and labor, plus the $44 for the emblem totalling in $289. It'd be $234 if you were sending me a grill in exchange. The way I'd like to do it though is to have one made before I go through with a sale so I can send a finished product and not have to make people wait.

My plan for now is to do a good amount by hand and really get it down, we'll see where it leads.

I'm going to look into a mold next week. Thanks for the idea. I'm interested to see what it'd take to get it done but it's nothing I'll do right off costing that much.