LegacyGT.com

Lotus Elise vs. Stage 2 leggy :)

first of all, the subie dealership i work at is across from a porsche/lotus dealership, euroclassics, so ive been seeing these little things scootin across the turnpike for the past 2 or 3 weeks...in fact i can see 4 of em from where im sitting now, looking like skittles on the grass :)

well when i was coming to work, there was a green one with a dealer tag on it that came shooting out of my neighborhood a few seconds after me, late for work no doubt...as he tried to pass, i gave him a little blow off, and he looked over...and both of us had to slam on the brakes not to run the red light in front of us. damn did he outbrake me

anyways, he kind of nodded forward and i heard a steady rev from him, so i got ready to launch too...just a 3000rpm launch or so

well...i pulled about a car ahead of him with a thing called torque, and kept walkin to about 2 cars until 50 or 60, then i left off and he came zoomin by me and BOMBED into the turn on the main thoroughfare...i took off again, but could not nearly take the turn that fast, but caught up to him as we were approaching our respective dealerships and he gave a thumbs up! :D i felt special

btw-the elise does 0-60 in about 5.1s and the 1/4 in about 13.5s....so its not really that unbelievable

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 minutes ago I knew nothing about this car.

According to Edmunds, the Elise only weighs 1975 lbs!

And the 1.8 motor puts out 190 horsepower.

This thing is like a cross between a motorcycle and a Celica. Too weird for me. I was a huge fan of the Esprit, but this seems like a gimmicy little euro-ricer.

And why don't the Celica's have 190 horsepower? They need it. :rolleyes:

who knows...ive heard the majority of those sold are almost immediatle fitted with a turbo kit...talk about a screamer with that upgrade

it makes sense tho, people who buy an elise have money for it, and they are performance enthuists, and again they have money...so why not make it an 11 second car with a few grand more?

They are fantastic to drive, but don't expect any sort of creature comforts whatsoever. At least not in the Euro versions. They had to make it a little "softer" for the US market though :lol:

At least they are one step up from the Caterham 7.

Mmmm....I'll take a Caterham CSR 260 please.

10 minutes ago I knew nothing about this car.

According to Edmunds, the Elise only weighs 1975 lbs!

And the 1.8 motor puts out 190 horsepower.

This thing is like a cross between a motorcycle and a Celica. Too weird for me. I was a huge fan of the Esprit, but this seems like a gimmicy little euro-ricer.

And why don't the Celica's have 190 horsepower? They need it. :rolleyes:

Lotus and Rice are two words that can never be combined !

It's bordering on blasphemy. :p (tic)

The Elise is about as anti-ricey as it gets... everything about it is for performance (certainly not for ease of ingress/egress!!) There are no extraneous wings or blings, no BOVs, no seismologically-detectable stereo, and no 72-inch anti-acceleration rims. If you think about how Lotus got started and what all their early cars were like, the Elise is much more a Lotus than the Esprit ever was.

I've driven the original, European version... and not even the one with the bigger engine. It's not a dragster, but once it's going, it's GONE. Weight is an enemy of performance... I'd like to drive one of the new ones with the Toyota motor, but I'm afraid I might do something stupid like buy one.

DKB

Well, I don't like it because it has the 1.8 Toyota motor.

It is no Esprit, and from what you are saying, Lotus is moving backwards.

No, Lotus is moving forward. This was brought out as a smaller car thant he Esprit and has one 'Best Handling Car' many times over. If you don't like the official Lotus USA version with the Toyota motor, an importer brought these over a year or two ago with the ITR motor (massaged a bit, like Lotus does for the Toyota motor).

No, Lotus is moving forward. This was brought out as a smaller car thant he Esprit and has one 'Best Handling Car' many times over. If you don't like the official Lotus USA version with the Toyota motor, an importer brought these over a year or two ago with the ITR motor (massaged a bit, like Lotus does for the Toyota motor).

They were originally made with the Rover 1.8 engine, but as it wouldn't get past US emmissions laws, they swapped it for the Toyota. Just as well as Rover is finally no more :(

Well, I don't like it because it has the 1.8 Toyota motor.

It is no Esprit, and from what you are saying, Lotus is moving backwards.

The base of the motor and trans are from the Celica. They are completely reworked by Lotus (or this is what was claimed when they were released).

Calling this thing a euro-ricer or gimmicky makes me very sad, and makes baby jesus weep. This is the car with a 1.8l engine that goes around a track almost dead even with an F40.

For those who want the creature comforts of a $45,000 automobile, rumor has it for the '07 they're revamping it from the euro interior to a suitable US interior for the price range (of course, the price will probably go up about 5-6k as they do it).

Also, the Elise with the "Sport pack" suspension is supposed to do 0-60 in more like 4.4, apparently the extremely stiff Bilstein suspension in the sport gives it fantastic grip off the line, along with different tires and wheels.

Archived