LegacyGT.com

Lotus Elise vs. Stage 2 leggy :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were originally made with the Rover 1.8 engine, but as it wouldn't get past US emmissions laws, they swapped it for the Toyota. Just as well as Rover is finally no more :(

Yes, I was referring to the official US version. As for Rover, my bro had a 200 and it was a fun car. The large Rovers SUCKED hard, but the small ones were nice.

Good race! As for the technical stuff people are bound to argue about....

Performance:

0-60mph 4.9sec (4.7 sec Sport Pack)

0-100mph 12.9 seconds

Top speed 150 mph

Fuel consumptionEPA 23 City - 27 Highway

Curb weight Base Car 1984 lbs

*(Touring Pack + 15 lbs. - Sport Pack - 20 lbs)

Reported from Lotus...

says car and driver:

Whereas the European Elise was designed around the 1.8-liter Rover K-series engine, the U.S. Elise gets a retuned version of the Toyota 1.8-liter, DOHC 16-valve four-cylinder that powers the Celica GT-S. For Lotus, the Toyota four-banger makes 190 horsepower (up from 180) and 138 pound-feet of torque (up from 130), delivering all that oomph through a six-speed manual gearbox, also borrowed from the Celica. Tipping the scales at just under 2000 pounds, the Elise sports a weight-to-power ratio of 10.2 pounds per pony. The results are blistering performance numbers of 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds and the quarter-mile in just 13.2 at 104 mph. For comparison, the new 325-horsepower Porsche 911 barely nips the Elise, hitting 60 in 4.3 and the quarter in 12.8. However, the 911 can’t match the Elise’s staggering skidpad number of 1.06 g.

Oh how I'd love to have an Elise.

I want to see a turbocharged or supercharged Elise. That would be sweeeeet. Kinda like the Ariel Atom.

ask and you shall recieve: http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/elise-forcedfed/forcedfed.htm

Looked in to an Elise before I bought my 05MT. They are not a daily driver!

The reason for the Toyota engine was that it was already emission cerified in the U.S. and they needed to get it to market fast.

When I looked, the back order time was about 6 months.

I ended up with a 1565 lb car with about 180hp....for considerably less money!...LOL!

http://www.shockwaverider.com/puma/puma-010.jpg

A 1977 Puma GTE(VW running gear...and of course...a boxster engine!):D

In my opinion, the Elise is sort of a Eurpean STi(for a lot more money)!

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

• 4 months later...

I've seen 4.7s in one of the mags. I'd be all over an elise...it's not a car though...it's a toy.

I Personally would like to know what an elise would be like with an s2000 engine swap....

Imagine the rapture.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the car mags last month did a test of a couple different Elise tuner cars with turbos, engine swaps and more. I think at least one was S2000.

I've seen 4.7s in one of the mags. I'd be all over an elise...it's not a car though...it's a toy.

I Personally would like to know what an elise would be like with an s2000 engine swap....

Imagine the rapture.

Lotus and Rice are two words that can never be combined !

It's bordering on blasphemy. :p (tic)

Amen brother - that marque has so much racing history associated with it that it could never be associated with rice. That and Colin Chapman would come back from the grave and break out a can of whoopazz.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

A friend of mine has an elise and was kind enough to let me drive it on the track for a few laps :icon_bigg ... I had previously driven it on the street a few times, and thought that it would be a blast to drive it on the track. But after flogging it for a few laps, it became apparent that it is much more difficult to drive it fast consistently as compared to our legacies. Being spoiled by the generous torque curve that our boxers provide, the elise just feels underpowered until you hit around 6500 rpm. And you have to keep the revs above that to carry any decent amount of speed out of the turns. To drive it fast requires total concentration and much more effort than driving my car. Long story short, I lapped him in his elise during a 25 minute session :icon_twis ...

Amen brother - that marque has so much racing history associated with it that it could never be associated with rice. That and Colin Chapman would come back from the grave and break out a can of whoopazz.

what about the grey marekt imports that hat Honda ITR motors in them? If I put an eBay short ram on it and painted the heads fluorescent yellow and loomed all the cables to match, would that then be considered rice?? Prolly not....I think the Elise has enough mana to ward off all comers. :icon_tong

On the topic of the Elise....When I was at Group5 Motorsport a couple weeks ago a guy called in looking to get an automatic tranny put in his Elise. They estimated it would cost about 1/4 the price of the car, but he didn't care.

Archived