LegacyGT.com

another gas mileage thread

dash readout isn't that exact.

fill it up, drive and fill it up again

only then you are sure about the milage

Mine does 2.6 mpg LPG when driving 75 mph on the highway (it's a legacy touring automatic 2,5)

LPG is 40% the price of petrol

rens

I noticed in a different car I owned that the mpg reading on the dash readout was almost right on after I changed the oxygen sensor. Some time back I checked the reading against actual fuel burned over certain mileage and it was off by about 1 mpg. I actually just changed the o2 sensor on the legacy this past december. Ill check the mileage at the next fuel up and let you know if the accuracy of the reading on the dash improved. Im expecting that it did.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how you guys do it. My commute is about 20 miles each way. About 4 of those i get on the feeway to avoid a bunch stop and go at intersections. The street portion is hit and miss on the red lights. I can only get about 17 mpg per the dash but I am in a hurry in the morning.

I've also taken it on a 200 miles roundtrip drive on the freeway and managed 30mpg.

My car is completely stock with 5EAT. The feeway mileage is good, but the street mileage is as if Im driving an SUV.

You're not alone; my commute is about 22 miles each way to and from work with 75% highway; I've been driving gently, and still get only 18.3 total average after all said and done. 05GT 5EAT Wagon.

I'm averaging 18.9 with my ski rack and snow tires. I do need a tune though.

You should call Mike and set up a street tune for a weekend morning. He's only a short drive from you, We use rt84 going up to exit 70 and back to his exit 65 a few times.

You're not alone; my commute is about 22 miles each way to and from work with 75% highway; I've been driving gently, and still get only 18.3 total average after all said and done. 05GT 5EAT Wagon.

^ I'm with yea I can only get 18.6 combined on my 5eat.

Yeah I avg about 19-20 mpg 60 miles a day and 45 of that is highway was getting about 21 during the summer

You guy's should contact my Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com, you can use his thread in the Vendor Forum, Just tell Mike Kinsman I sent you.

The only time I have gotten 18mpg is when I really drive it hard on the back roads after getting gas (in MA, cheaper) and driving 23miles home. After that the mpg climbs back up normal after a few DD's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am rocking an 05 5eat stage 2 tuned.. Strictly city driving i'm at 16-18mpg. My daily commute is mostly highway, but I get stuck in traffic a lot. That actually doesn't hurt me too bad though. I am right at 20mpg in the winter and 22-23 in the summer. I admit, I always accelerate pretty quickly when there is no traffic to get on and off the ramps. Probably of the 50 miles 15 of it is truly city/residential, the rest is highway misery.. I drive with 18" all season tires 225 width, it seemed the same when I was driving on 215 17" tires before. I just figure I can't do any better.. and it doesn't get much worse until the weekend when I use it to ferry kids and groceries.. fml.

FWIW, I received a PM the other day from someone who had a big name tune for his first tune to stage 2. Then had a local Tuner street tune the car.

He said the car was much better after the street tune, had better performance all around.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FWIW, I received a PM the other day from someone who had a big name tune for his first tune to stage 2. Then had a local Tuner street tune the car.

He said the car was much better after the street tune, had better performance all around.

Yea we've had a few guys come in here like that.

around 19.5/20.5 on my cobb ots stage 2 map. Lots of idle in the mornings tho

DON'T let these cars idle for a long time in the morning. Start it, scrap the frost of the windows and drive it easy for the first mile or so.

Gas delutes the oil when the rings are cold. Not a good thing.

DON'T let these cars idle for a long time in the morning. Start it, scrap the frost of the windows and drive it easy for the first mile or so.

Gas delutes the oil when the rings are cold. Not a good thing.

nothing crazy like 10 min maybe while i get dressed.

when you say it dilutes the oil, is that reversible or does it just stay like that?

If your DD is long enough, the oil will get hot enough to boil it and the condensation out of it.

It's better to drive the more then less. It's not good to only drive the car a few miles and shut it off all the time.

Highway miles are good for the engine.

Byron what does Mike charge for a street tune?

Check his site, email him and tell him I sent you. He also skis, I gave him my Volkl AX3's a few years back.

I'm not sure how you guys do it. My commute is about 20 miles each way. About 4 of those i get on the feeway to avoid a bunch stop and go at intersections. The street portion is hit and miss on the red lights. I can only get about 17 mpg per the dash but I am in a hurry in the morning.

I've also taken it on a 200 miles roundtrip drive on the freeway and managed 30mpg.

My car is completely stock with 5EAT. The feeway mileage is good, but the street mileage is as if Im driving an SUV.

I was getting awful mpg's in my 2.5i. Mostly all city driving average was maybe 17-19 year round. Daily commute is only 3miles total. Recently had the mpg dip down to a 10-11mpg average. Getting a tune done today, see if that improves anything but the only time I've noticed a big difference is when I just coast or when on the highway. With most of my driving in the city and in stop go traffic i'm having the same mpg problem as you.

I was getting awful mpg's in my 2.5i. Mostly all city driving average was maybe 17-19 year round. Daily commute is only 3miles total. Recently had the mpg dip down to a 10-11mpg average. Getting a tune done today, see if that improves anything but the only time I've noticed a big difference is when I just coast or when on the highway. With most of my driving in the city and in stop go traffic i'm having the same mpg problem as you.

Even though you have 2.5i I hope you take the car out on the highway a couple of times a month and let it get warmed up. Or you better be changing your oil at 3000 miles or sooner.

What is it about the winter blend that causes that?

Does anyone know if that happens in California?

Gee, let me guess...it's blended different...;) I think it has more stuff to keep it from freezing...

or its all a plan to make us buy more gas...

Checked the dash this morning it's reading 23.1mpg, I filled the tank last Saturday night in Springfield MA on the way back from VT. Mileage is about 290 miles on this tank, (didn't drive the car on Sunday) it's now thursday morning. I will admit to some high speed driving the other afternoon.

I also have been taking the back roads home Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon.

Even though you have 2.5i I hope you take the car out on the highway a couple of times a month and let it get warmed up. Or you better be changing your oil at 3000 miles or sooner.

I usually have it on the highway every weekend, every 3,000 it gets oil changed. Tires balanced/rotated every 5k. I just had a tune and the live mpg meter is still kind of screwed up. I have full tank of gas now I usually have to do a complete fill up every 10days so if I have to fill up before then i'm going to assume its something more then just the mpg thing being messed up. Not cool getting 10mpg on a 4banger 2.5 non turbo.

Was avg. 24.5mpg. Ran a bottle of this

http://images.monstermarketplace.com/scooters-bikes-atvs-and-more/star-trona-enzyme-fuel-treatment-gas-additive-8-oz-172-90-400x466.jpg

By time I finished the bottle, 25.8 mpg. I ran 3 tank fulls after finishing the bottle, 25.2 mpg. When or if my mpg's drop back to 24 mpg. I buy another bottle.

+100 for Mike @ TA, awesome tuner.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived