LegacyGT.com

Is there at least one LGT owner who miss their WRX?

:D Wow!! Tough question! As many of you whom have previously owned or test-driven the WRX and LGT, each is a very different car. From my enthusiasts point of view, even though they are two different cars, certain pieces of each tend to interweave with the other. Acceleration, the LGT has it by far. My '04 WRX has the small, lag-ridden IHI turbo, as many know. Where the LGT pushes you back in your seat, the WRX is far more progressive in building it's speed. However handling in the twisties, the WRX wins. My LGT is far more weighted, and body movement is much more pronounced. I get a little better mileage from the WRX, however I attribute this to the simple differences between a manual and auto. On road trips or long-term driving. The LGT is much more comfortable than the WRX. With the LGT, there is far less driver fatigue. However, ripping up the twisties here in the Rockies, I feel much more comfortable, braced in the "race inspired seats," of the WRX. And for the final winning point for my LGT... Auto insurance is nearly half that of my WRX.

P.S. Thank you for producing such a wonderful forum! It is very nice to see the lack of bickering and B.S. that plague other forums. In the few days since I have joined I have learned many valuable things! :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat related to the comment that someone found it harder to beat on the LGT, one issues I had with WRX was that I found it much harder to NOT beat on it.

I don't know what it is, somehow you HAVE to drive the WRX hard but you can choose whether you want to drive hard with the LGT.

• 1 year later...

I too am debating about buying either a Legacy or the WRX - both wagons and with EAT. I am not interested in a stick-shift, so that is not an option.

The WRX steering is quicker than the Legacy GT, which, when combined with the shorter wheelbase and lesser overhangs, somehow translates into an overall sharper vehicle. MUCH sharper. The LGT is a boat in comparison - with apologies to the LGT owners. I drove both pretty extensively. The LGT rides better than the REX wagon, however, due to its longer wheelbase and softer suspension. Somebody mentioned that the LGT sits lower but if you check the stats, both the WRX and the LGT have the same Ground clearance - 6.1".

Unlike the earlier posts of the prior WRX with the 2.0L engine, the current WRX has the 2.5L, which has improved the driveability at lower rpms - a LOT. I have also done 1200+ miles in a friend's WRX wagon a long time back with absolutely no sense of discomfort over such a long distance....I am sure the LGT should be even better in that respect.

Somehow, I am struggling to get past the generic-japanese-front-end-styling of the Legacy GT (a BIG turn-off for me), while the WRX wagon, is brimming with personality. The new European LGT shown, looks VERY appealing, however, but it is not available here yet. At the dealership, a Legacy GT Sedan and a WRX wagon were parked facing us and I asked my wife about which one would she choose and she un-hesitatingly picked the front-end styling of the WRX over the LGT - she is not an aggressive or sophomoric person by any stretch of the imagination. She too mentioned the generic styling of the LGT FRONT-END as a BIG turn-off - no personality at all, sad to say. Since I am not a person who will be modding his vehicle (other than probably replacing the tires with better ones), the stock styling is what I will have to compare/contrast. The interior of the car, however, is completely reversed. The LGT is heads-and-shoulders better than the WRX interior. The quality of the materials used and the tactile feel of the componentry are MUCH better in the LGT, while the WRX appears a bit on the low-rent side of the equation.

The load rating for both cars are the same - 900 lbs, even though the Legacy GT is slightly larger inside. I am not too enthused by the widening of the seats of the later WRXs, when compared to the 2002-2003 WRXs, which came with EXCELLENT seats that kept you in place, even in aggressive cornering conditions. The Legacy GT seats are essentially touring seats and the bolsters are a joke and thus even the current wider WRX seats, are better for sporty driving.

The Legacy GT comes with a 5EAT with SI-drive, while the WRX comes with a 4EAT - this is a big bummer for me, since there is only a $1800 difference in cost between the 2 cars. If the WRX came with the 5EAT and SI-Drive, I would not think twice about going with it over the LGT. Both of these cars come with the VTD-AWD with the 45/55 f/r power split.

In addition to the 5EAT and the SI-Drive, the LGT also comes with side-curtain airbags, power drivers and passengers seats, tire-pressure monitoring system etc., all of which for just $1800 more than the WRX 4EAT Wagon Limited - this is driving me crazy. The 5EAT and the SI-Drive are BIG factors for me.

I need to make a decision but am struggling to do so ! The 5EAT and the SI-Drive are the only things that keep the LGT in contention at this point. I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with NAV etc., and thus space for the family is not a huge consideration, when comparing the LGT with the REX Wagon....the REX wagon is not too bad in that respect either.

Can someone help me with my decision ?

I missed the handling of my '04 WRX wagon. But after sway bars I was much happier. And after a few more modsto my '05 LGT LTD 5mt wagon I don't even think about it.:icon_bigg

174534.JPG.b2be939676493511708ab2d3074437ea.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG.58393d8a9df282d9ec63d9df9ef09956.JPG

172449(1).thumb.JPG.714d96abf9fab4faecf9adc29b31a1d5.JPG

093339(1).thumb.JPG.0d8791e09bc7e60a810b35cc53cbf4a4.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

We have both. My wife/I conclude the 04 WRX is just plain fun to drive especially around the twisties. However for your only daily driver the LGT trumps the WRX however its a 2004 2.0L which is a huge crutch. I imagine the margin gets much closer with the 2.5L in the WRX.

I missed the handling of my '04 WRX wagon. But after sway bars I was much happier. And after a few more modsto my '05 LGT LTD 5mt wagon I don't even think about it.:icon_bigg

Sorry, the WRX steering ratio changed in 2006. It is quicker than the 04 WRX that you have. Obviously the Engine has also changed.

I was sorry to see my modded 2002 WRX Sportwagon go (fortunately to an enthusiastic and worthy buyer) - but I don't regret trading it for the 2006 LGT I just got (especially with the big rebate at the end of the model year!).

As others have pointed out, I won't feel as comfortable throwing the LGT around on dirt and gravel roads as the WRX, but I really enjoy driving a car with a bit more refinement than the WRX, that still has great, stealth performance. Plus, my wife likes it better.

My big problem now is fighting the itch to start modding the LGT! :icon_bigg

The WRX steering is quicker than the Legacy GT, which, when combined with the shorter wheelbase and lesser overhangs, somehow translates into an overall sharper vehicle. MUCH sharper. The LGT is a boat in comparison - with apologies to the LGT owners. I drove both pretty extensively.

Agreed. I only drove an 06 WRX briefly, and I haven't driven any older ones, but the 06 was way more tossable than my LGT. The deciding factor for me was the back seat. I simply cannot sit behind myself in a WRX, and I even sit close to the wheel for someone my height (at least in cars w/o telescoping steering, which is unfortunately most cars). The sole reason I replaced my last car was to get something good for ski trips, and I don't want tallish backseat passengers to suffer. The LGT has many other advantages too, but I'd probably give up all the rest for the WRX's tossibility/steering/etc if I could. The LGT compares well in those regards to most of its competition - one of the reasons I picked it - but the (06) WRX is far better still.

Like so many who have commented here, I also miss the tight, direct, light, "tossable" feel of the WRX.

Nevertheless, there are many advantages to the LGT: better crash safety; way more torque and power (at least compared to the 2.0 WRX); much better stability and smoothness at high speeds, more stealth, more refined appearance; better seating for passengers, more storage space.

Like so many who have commented here, I also miss the tight, direct, light, "tossable" feel of the WRX.

Nevertheless, there are many advantages to the LGT: better crash safety; way more torque and power (at least compared to the 2.0 WRX); much better stability and smoothness at high speeds, more stealth, more refined appearance; better seating for passengers, more storage space.

Agree emphatically about the crash safety. I believe the IIHS has named the Legacy a "Best Pick" for crash safety. Very impressive. :icon_cool

But "way more power and torque" for the LGT is completely over the top.:lol: Why compare today's LGT with yesterday's WRX with the smaller engine and slower steering ? The current 2.5T WRX gives up very little in terms of power/torque to the LGT and since it is lighter, I guess it is pretty much a wash.

I don't think "better stability" is accurate either. The WRX (and its spawn the STi) are the benchmarks for stability and handling, in the Subaru stable. All other products (including LGT) are slightly toned down versions from a pure handling/tossability/high-speed stability perspective.....the LGT is a larger, more "refined" alternative for people who need more space.

In fact, during a recent comparison of the Legacy Spec B and the Mazdaspeed 6 Turbo, Edmunds observed that the Legacy Chassis simply lacked the bedrock stability and strength of the WRX/STi chassis and when taken to its limits, the chassis simply pleaded to dial back the intensity level a couple of notches, while the WRX/STi chassis simply challenged for even more. Huge difference there, even though the WRX has a relatively crude and cheap-feeling interior.....essentially, it is obvious where Subaru spent the engineering dollars.

• 8 months later...
Bah, I doubt it was the chassis complaining, and it is Edmunds after all... More likely the number of soft bushings that are everywhere on the LGT that lead to the unstable feeling. Interesting to see how the new WRX does now that it is a modified LGT chassis, with a wheelbase within an inch or so.

I didn't have a WRX but I had a 2000 RS. I still love that gc chasis. everytime I see a clean one I drool. There are so many parts available for them and you can pick one up for dirt cheap. So light, so tossable, never cared about taking it off road. I would take one as a second car to modify and leave the lgt stock.

If I had to choose between a GC, GDA or GDB WRX or STI and the LGT the choice would be hands down the Legacy. But yeah, I miss my GC and I want another one now.

Edit: I have only driven a WRX once and it was a wagon, but I have been behind the wheel of many RS's and STI's. There really is no comparison once you have grown out of the toy box racer of a wrx.

Oh man, I really miss chucking my WRX around in the woods. If you were wondering (you know you were), the WRX is where I got the name ShortBus.

http://silverleaf.addr.com/photos/shortbus/pre-rally_touched2_small.jpg

http://silverleaf.addr.com/photos/shortbus/DSCF0012.JPG

http://silverleaf.addr.com/photos/shortbus/trailin/nightvis1_8.jpg

Ha ha, yeah. I made an evening of going trailing, and I thought it would be funny to have some shots with the car topper on. I put together a picture and posted it in the office later.

http://silverleaf.addr.com/photos/shortbus/trailin/tips.jpg

Yeah...I'm a dork :lol:

Bah, I doubt it was the chassis complaining, and it is Edmunds after all... More likely the number of soft bushings that are everywhere on the LGT that lead to the unstable feeling.

what unstable feeling? i have done 100 several times and it never felt unstable to me. unless the wrx feels that much better at 100 than the gt does. i can tell you...at 100 i don't want something darty. the gt isn't and it will change lanes at 95 without feeling unstable or weird.

yeah yeah yeah...i hit 95 sometimes when passing...stayed on the throttle a bit too long i guess.

Agree: I hit 100+ on a fairly regular basis. Totally stable- perhaps too stable, as it's way too easy to go fast without much indication yer really movin'.

85 in my 02 WRX was a bit hairy, in contrast.

Archived