LegacyGT.com

Is there at least one LGT owner who miss their WRX?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still drive my Rex, Haven’t jump on the legacy wagon yet. Although, the time is probably coming, since I'm on this site reading about them almost daily.

I test drove black LGT LMT 5MT right when they came out and I did like it. The power, refinement and luxury. Nice, quiet ride, better cruser than the WRX. The gears seemed a little long and headroom with the sunroof wasn’t impressive. It was a different kind of beast, yet with definitive boxer engine and awd present. It seemed like it would fit my 30-year-old professional personality better.

SO why I haven’t got mine yet?

Well, I just gave up riding sport bikes after 8 years. My Aprilia Falco found a new home last March and there is a huge void in my life. The raw power and deep sound of my Blue 300hp WRX with prodrive exhaust its the only thing that somehow reminds me of the old days on the bike.

Also, Since I already have 2 sets of tires and wheels for summer and winter. That would have to be a mandatory upgrade on LGT right away. It would also be complicated to transfer my alpine stereo to LGT. I just don’t know... this is really hard.

How is LGT in snow "spirited" driving? Can I take it to upper Michigan or Colorado for some fun snow moments, with good snow tires?

I still drive my Rex, Haven’t jump on the legacy wagon yet. Although, the time is probably coming, since I'm on this site reading about them almost daily.

I test drove black LGT LMT 5MT right when they came out and I did like it. The power, refinement and luxury. Nice, quiet ride, better cruser than the WRX. The gears seemed a little long and headroom with the sunroof wasn’t impressive. It was a different kind of beast, yet with definitive boxer engine and awd present. It seemed like it would fit my 30-year-old professional personality better.

SO why I haven’t got mine yet?

Well, I just gave up riding sport bikes after 8 years. My Aprilia Falco found a new home last March and there is a huge void in my life. The raw power and deep sound of my Blue 300hp WRX with prodrive exhaust its the only thing that somehow reminds me of the old days on the bike.

Also, Since I already have 2 sets of tires and wheels for summer and winter. That would have to be a mandatory upgrade on LGT right away. It would also be complicated to transfer my alpine stereo to LGT. I just don’t know... this is really hard.

How is LGT in snow "spirited" driving? Can I take it to upper Michigan or Colorado for some fun snow moments, with good snow tires?

+

Jack, If you love your WRX then.. You'll most likely end up missing it. The refinement and luxury you'll gain yes.. but the tossabilty and sheer ruggedness you'll loose. Going through the mall parking lot at 40mph in 6'' of snow and power sliding in the Legacy just wouldnt be the same as in the WRX plus it would probably be a little dangerous considering how low the leggy sits not to mention the 17'' low profile's. I'd kiss any off-roading good bye in the Leggy. I'm sure some dudes on here will say different but bottom out on a nice big rock and you'll for sure be missing the WRX. My LGT did awsome in the snow last year I drove it thorugh a pretty nice snow storm but at the same time I was missing the care free ease that came with the WRX. It's all what you intend to use it for. If you want refinement and a little more luxury go with the LGT. On the highway is where you're going to see the biggest difference. The Leggy just gets up and goes.. To overtake slower traffice you'll do in 5th vs having to drop to 4th in the WRX. Good luck with your decision hope my 2cents helps!

Thanks,

I think too, I would miss it. The perfect solution would be to keep the Rex and add LGT. If my girfriend would just be little more cooperative and bought LGT instead of t borring Solara. It sure is big and comfortable ride (V6), but man, it makes me sleepy every time I drive it. She didnt want to pay for premium gas though.:mad:

Man, why would anyone buy a Solara (camry) when they can get a tC (also a camry, and a bit shorter than a Solara)?

One is ugly, the other is halfway good looking, for both being FWD Toyota coupes. Just my opinion, is neither here nor there. I just hope your girlfreind likes her Solara.

My wife bought a Miata, so I can't complain one bit there, I just have to figure out a way to get the miata and the truck paid off soon, so that I can get a Legacy, or trade one in, and I don't really want to loose either one.

The truck is too valuable for hauling all the antiques and plants, and everything else my wife keeps getting, which might actually be too big for even a Legacy wagon. (plus, no stick means no buy.) and the Miata is just too much fun to let go, and is worth more to the both of us than we could get for resale/trade-in value.

I think I would actually miss the miata at least as much as you guys miss your WRXs, if not maybe a bit more.

I agree with the off-road comments that people have made. The longer overhangs and lower profile tires make me more reluctant to take the Legacy on the rough stuff. And the handling isn't quite as sharp as my WRX's was but it has less in terms of suspension mods and is way more comfortable.

But I don't have any regrets in choosing a Legacy GT over a new WRX when my old WRX was totalled.

Having just switched from a '03 WRX to a LGT, I can tell you I have no regrets. Stuffing the family into the WRX was always a chore. Now they are so much more comfortable in the LGT - a lot more elbow room for them.

I miss the steering, braking, and tossability of the WRX. Though the first two can be addressed with mods, I am not sure the LGT can ever have the tossability of the WRX in the corners and I really, really miss that . Life is a compromise...but sometimes I do consider compromising refinement, luxury and smoothness for....you got it....tossability.

I'd love to have an LGT and WRX, though I don't think it's in the cards.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Thanks for all the comments guys. I took the leap and bought the LGT wagon.

The main reason for my trade is not to gain refinement or luxury but to stuff the family and gear to go camping and skiing.

My feeling right now is that I will miss its more connected handling, smaller size, and its little edginess and rawness over the LGT. But I will be gaining in other departments and functions.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have had the LGT for a month and a half, add me to the list of "I do NOT miss the WRX". I was somewhat indifferent to the LGT for the first couple of weeks but I definitely would not go back to the WRX now. Surprisingly, I am getting BETTER gas mileage with the LGT than the WRX so far -- maybe I am not driving it hard enough.;)

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the jump.

I won't go over the usual difference that have been repeated a hundred time, but here's a few "nit-picking" differences I notice between the WRX and the LGT:

- What's with the Ford Taurus (even they probably outgrew these) door handles on the LGT. WRX's European style wins hand down. LGT -1

- What's with the WRX rooftop antenna, exact part I had on my 1988 Mazda 323. WRX LGT in-glass antenna. LGT +1

- Sunshade along top of windshield and "dot matrix" around rearview mirror on LGT -- so inexpensive but functional. LGT +1

- Remote hatch release on LGT. LGT +1

- Cassette on WRX (great for iPod). LGT -1

- Roof spoiler on LGT wagon that interferes with cargo box...stupid, stupid, stupid.

- Talk with passenger and listen to tunes comfortably at 90MPH in LGT, priceless.

From reading this thread, and my own reasoning, the decision to go with the Legacy over the WRX sounds like the dividing line between youth and adulthood. And yes, the line keeps moving.

I'd reached a crossroads in life, a point of decision. My faithful old car had finally crossed over into the land of 'more trouble than worth'. And it was time for a new one. I'd been pining over a WRX for quite awhile, and had been test driving and gearing up to knuckle-under to the will of THE MAN and his CAR PAYMENTS again. Having a paid-off vehicle for as long as I had, I'd gotten seriously spoiled on the extra in the bank. After test driving a couple of WRXs, sti and 'standard', I was ready to sign away, when one of the dealers called suggesting an '05 Legacy. After some quick net-briefing, I went for a test drive.

The car was sold within a half-mile out. Everything appealed to me so much more than the WRX, for different reasons. Where the WRX compels you to adhere to its inherent 'go-to-beat-hell' mentality, the Legacy expects you to respect its power a bit more. Had I been in the middle of this decision five years ago, it would have been hands down the WRX. But being five further down the road, I guess I've recognized the mortality of my youth and I was entering full-on, wife/children type adulthood.

The Legacy offers a higher level of refinement to the excitement of driving a Subaru. When people ask me what it drives like, I tell them 'like a rally car for the highway'.

Or I just got tired of my own tracked-in dirt.

- What's with the Ford Taurus (even they probably outgrew these) door handles on the LGT. WRX's European style wins hand down. LGT -1

IMO the handles on the LGT work fine. Sleeker.

My friend with the Impreza had more trouble with ice getting behind the handle than I did when I used to have a taurus (lol).

Archived