LegacyGT.com

Killed my clutch

So after searching I am yet to come up with a good solution. I killed my clutch a few weeks ago and I am trying to figure out what road to take. I am only at stage 1 right now but I will be going to stage 2 2.5 soon. Will a stock clutch hold up fine? What aftermarket clutch do you have? I dont want a super stiff pedal. When I look for a stage 1 clutch for the 06 lgt I find a lot that would force me to get a wrx flywheel. Does anyone make a kit that wouldn't make me change the flywheel? Thanks in advance. If I missed a thread please point me in the right direction.

you have a dual mass flywheel. get rid of that shit for a wrx single mass. you can't resurface a dual mass(well, practically). you can choose to keep your flywheel but if you're in there, might as well replace it so you don't have to later on. there's a transmission forum you know, http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/transmissions-79.html plenty of clutch info there.....

Ive been running the single mass flywheel and exedy oem replacement clutch for about 15k miles now at stage 2.5 and have literally about 200 launches on it and it still grabs just fine. Spun all 4 255s at the track through all of first the last time i was there. Just pulled my motor out a couple weeks ago and the clutch is still looking like it has a good amount of life in it too.

So if your going to stop at stage 2-2.5 id recommend the exedy replacement for stock feel and engagement. If your going bigger turbo look else where. I snagged a clutchmasters fx300 for my build.

I had an Exedy OEM replacement before and it only lasted about 35k. The pedal feel sucked (it was really tough), but it did the job.

I have since gone Comp stage II kit in anticipation of Stage III and I LOVE it! Pedal feel is fantastic, grips like a champ. Just my .02 but there's lots of info out there. Search it up!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

free.99 if you care to dive in. There's a great walkthrough here...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

I thought about doing it myself, but don't really want to screw it up.

I wouldn't go 6 puck on a DD if you DD yours.

Please elaborate. I do DD, mine but is there that much of a difference?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

I thought about doing it myself, but don't really want to screw it up.

It's not that bad really. Just have a friend or two to help. Hardest part is getting the trans to mate back up to the engine. You would save a lotta dough:)

Totally up to you though!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I found a decent deal on a competition clutch stage 2 with the light weight single mass flywheel. I am putting it in over the weekend and I will let ya know how it works out. Perfect time to take care of my timing belt and install my sti up pipe as I am pulling the motor to make getting the t50p flywheel bolts out a little easier!

I have a Stage 2 Comp Clutch in with less than 2k miles on it. I DD and frequent the mountains of colorado alot. The 500 mile break-in period was HORRIBLE. But since then I have no issues and would reccomend it to anyone looking to keep an oem feel yet be able to throw some power into the clutch

I have a Stage 2 Comp Clutch in with less than 2k miles on it. I DD and frequent the mountains of colorado alot. The 500 mile break-in period was HORRIBLE. But since then I have no issues and would reccomend it to anyone looking to keep an oem feel yet be able to throw some power into the clutch

That one is actually pretty high on my list too.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Here's the link for the DIY clutch swap.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

This isn't that painful of a project (I just swapped mine a few months ago with almost no experience working on this car). There are some things to keep in mind...

First, gather ALL of the parts you will need before you start the project. The biggest time suck I ran into was waiting for parts.

Second, use PB blaster liberally, especially on the bolts/nuts holding the bellhousing to the engine block. The hardest part wasn't aligning the transmission- it was seperatiing the transmission from the block. Took me a full week and a lot of frustration to get the sucker apart.

Third, I should reiterate that it is important to place all bolts in baggies and label each bag with respect to the step. Also, you should make a checklist for each step as you remove parts so you can assemble in the proper order.

Lastly, this is worth the money saved, but only if you can't afford the labor. You're trading a severe headache for the cost of labor.

I'm glad I did mine, but I'm not sure I'd try it again. There are too many small details that can add a few days each to the time you're out of the car. This starts to get really depressing..

Archived