LegacyGT.com

E85 here I come

I can agree. I was surprised myself. E85 can do some amazing things. Ive never seen peak 23 PSI on a VF40, but thats what I have been running now for 10k miles, 2 days at MAM, and the Subaru Shootout dragstrip event. Still no issues or shaftplay.

Well numbers aside, I'm sure its a blast to drive.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Untrue. Totally altitude and boost dependent. One of the faster stock turbo runs in the "official 1/4 mi thread" was by a oem turbo on e85 with oem fueling.

Yea. What I meant to say is 95% of the united states needs pump and injectors to run e85 :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yea. What I meant to say is 95% of the united states needs pump and injectors to run e85 :)

Lets try this again.

NO. BOOST DEPENDENT. Also altitude dependent. One of the fastest vf40 1/4mi was stock pump/injectors e85. Do you have to limit boost and power? Sure. Does it fall on its face? Sure.

Don't make me find the links.

I'm not sure about the other cars, just seems like 320WHP on a VF40 is kinda high. You've got great supporting mods, so I can see high 280's, but I've never seen any other VF40's at 320WHP.

Remember this is on E85, not 91/93

I'm just going by what tuners tell me here on long island. They will not tune for e85 unless you have at least 850cc injectors and pump. I did learn something new today and thank you, I thought it was mostly altitude Dependant . Don't have to get all internet gangstor on me with the threatening of the links. It doesn't change my day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd go with what your tuner is recommending since they are tuning it. I know I asked about E85 on my VF40 with my tuner and thought maybe since I had a DW65C I could do an E85 tune on stock injectors (I'm at 3600' ASL). My tuner didn't feel comfortable with the headroom in the stocks for E85 and he's well versed in tuning at higher elevations being in the mile high city :) While it may be possible at this level - I doubt that it would be a good idea to drive a 3 hours away to sea level with that setup and I don't want to be limited when I do pull the trigger. Eventually I'll be doing a turbo as well and just wanted a bit of fun on E85, but will wait until I have injectors. I also don't ask the tuner to max boost either - I doubt I'd ever push to go over 18/18.5 psi on this turbo since it's not worth the risk to me. I think too many people get hung up on what psi or g/s they are at without thinking about long term reliability.

:yeahthat:

I never said it was a GOOD idea to run e85 on stock fueling or that it didn't leave power on the table. The vf40/46 runs out of steam pretty fast so it self tapers in a way. Pretty sure the dragracer in question did it just for the track and was running ~100% idc. I ran e85 on my vf39 on 850s. Its kind of a no brainger to go with 850s for e85 as tuners are likely basing it on STI sized turbos. 740s and a wb or dw65 would work fine for e85 on a vf40/46 but why would anyone do that?

Im merely pointing out that people have done what others say cannot be done.

I'm not sure about the other cars, just seems like 320WHP on a VF40 is kinda high. You've got great supporting mods, so I can see high 280's, but I've never seen any other VF40's at 320WHP.

Why do you keep posting that this dyno reads high? You can see high 280's? I thought you were there at the dyno that day... didnt you see 322/376? This dyno reads low compared to dyno jet.

Scott, here we all wasted our money running our cars on Karl's dyno when we could of had Artclassshank just tell us the REAL #'s :lol:

What are the other #'s you have see from VF40's and on what dynos? I have not seen alot of things, but know they are out there.

I really don't care much for dyno numbers either. It was nice to see what mine did compared to another 15 Subarus on the same day and same dyno. I mostly autocross my car so I don't mind the mid range power. For sure on the big track it falls quickly, but time will tell how soon I get a new setup.

Ok, you got me. I guess its nice to see how it compares to other setups, when the weight of my car is a disadvantage to me compared to a lot of the people I run with. No way will I ever have a decent 1/4 time. I guess one of my points would be I didn't do one run and turn up the boost to get some numbers like some cars might do, its not a dyno queen.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got in on the mustang dyno and 3rd gear resulted in 293whp/302wtq and 4th a bit more 299/304

That's with winter blend and tune, waiting until they have summer blend of e85 and will retune

Not sure what the drop is at about 6000rpm, maybe he let off the gas, Idk

006.jpg.2e57404924b40d3954adc903d418d8d6.jpg

Picked up my car yesterday, and like many others, wonder why I didn't convert earlier. This car is much more fun to drive now, especially coming from 91. Hard to keep the smile off my face.

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

:cool:

Picked up my car yesterday, and like many others, wonder why I didn't convert earlier. This car is much more fun to drive now, especially coming from 91. Hard to keep the smile off my face.

What mods do you have to support e85?

Archived