LegacyGT.com

E85 here I come

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
E 85 is the best mod I did to my car. It helps I have a fantastic local tuner that has done several cars now on e 85. It's easy to find in Iowa and surrounding states, and the gain I got even on stock turbo was great. It's nice to never see knock and know that your engine is likely on the safe side. I have 120k on my car and about 6k on e85. Virtual dyno says 320 hp, 370 tq. 22.5lbs peak boost. I'll have some dyno time this spring so ill update with some other numbers.

Yah clutch is only good for about 240 lbs. of tq. I am approx 160 lbs of tq over its ability.

I'm guessing Mike didn't pick that clutch/flywheel for you. Wish you considered swapping it while you had the motor out. That exedy stage1 has a weak TOB. Did you use the TSK3 kit with it? The exedy stage 1 does not like getting overheated and will rapidly glaze, leave material on your flywheel and cause blueing. The slip, it will get worse quickly with "abuse" (getting on boost/tq).

I know from my vf39/e85 setup.:redface:

Same set up as what I got except I'm still on stock internals, perrin tmic, stock intake and stock pulleys and with a stage 2 competition clutch. Everything else I got as well

Sounds like a great DD combo. Really appreciate my COMP setup at the track. No real "need" for internals if good compression... No real chance of knock on e85.:)

so you guys both 255LPH pumps, and 850CC injectors??

wb255 and dw65 will both work with 850cc injectors for this size turbo on e85. wb255 is not rated for e85. dw65 is.

Yah well it was that 800.00 give or take on a new clutch that was over the top on the build for me in cost. I had just replacced the clutch 4 months previously. I never had any issues until I went e85. I do not abuse the thing like I would like too because of how much gas I would burn up. I have not felt the clutch slip yet it was only noted on Shamar's graph. Neither of us actually felt it, smelled, or heard it. Crossing my fingers for now. Looks many are getting the FX300 on built motors.....

I am going CM/FX200-300 in the OBXT for sure. The wife does not want heavier pedal feel and I can't see myself replacing the OEM clutch with OEM parts when there are seemingly superior aftermarket ones reasonable priced (particularly for a staged car I sometimes drive).

I understand and feel your pain. You thought you were going to save yourself money by buying cheap parts and hoping they will stand up to your mods. They won't. If you get on boost, you are abusing that clutch with the torque you have. If you don't get on boost, wtf do you have a e85 tune for?

I get it. I know. I was in the same spot you are and I hate to see you baby the car on boost just to pay for a second clutch install in a year when you could have done it then.

For the record, I expect to roast my clutch with my new turbo when I go e85. Then again, I don't plan to go e85 till my motor pops and I build the internals (as I should be seeing high 400whp). When the motor is out, time for a more stout clutch. I'm guessing I am going to have to go multiplate. Have heard wonderful things about exedy's multiplate. Then again for the price, it should cook me a pie too.

wb255 and dw65 will both work with 850cc injectors for this size turbo on e85. wb255 is not rated for e85. dw65 is.

THATS what I was looking to hear... I heard a thing or two about needing a diff pump and 1000CCs but I have the DW65. rawr

Nope did not save any money it was about $900.00 installed when moving from stock clutch to my current clutch set up. It was an emergency deal clutch went out up north and had to tow the car 300 miles back home to Garage tuning (kevin) Always a mistake going to him. I just needed a clutch as I was only stage 2 at the time w off the shelf Cobb map. Holding the power was never an issue. At this point it still has not been an issue but I am sure it will be a problem at some point. I stopped going to Garage tuning after numerous mishaps with bad work. After speaking to Mike at Infamous tuning and never looked back. Anyway Mike's best guess is that it is a Exedy with Aluminum flywheel. Mike warned me about the clutch but was out of funds after having the motor built.

Nope did not save any money it was about $900.00 installed when moving from stock clutch to my current clutch set up.

No need to explain the story. You "saved" money by keeping the clutch you have which is underrated, oem, replacement or whatever. A decision I made and came to regret at your power level. The different between you and I is that I had to get two clutch jobs. You could have swapped out when the motor was out.

Its hard to override the fiscal-common-sense-button in the brain. I don't suggest you go out of your way to open that flood gate. Consider me a cautionary tale. Don't go to the dragstrip on it and it will last a lot longer. I certainly hope you have a different outcome.:)

You will not f-ing believe what just happened. Wait LosAngelesLGT you will believe it. Coming back from the gym just now getting ready to pass somebody in forth totally just chillin not even on it and whamoo the clutch slipped just as boost came on. It slipped like butter and immediately I let off. It was like I had no clutch for an insta second or like it was out of gear. I hope that was not a tranny issue. I just drove with no boost the rest of the way without issue. You spoke to soon the clutch Gods were listening dam it. Ok where is the least expensive clutch for my power? FX300? Anything I can still use my flywheel with? I do not want to replace everything if I can help it. I was just about to get new shoes 19X8.5's dam it.

First of all, Im sorry. I'm pretty sure I said only go WOT in 2nd and 3rd in my PM to you (probably too late). There is nothing wrong with your clutch other than that it is a Exedy stage1 with have loathesome feel for its grip and comparatively poor quality TOB. I suggest you get off your corn habit and go back to pump for a year while you pay off a set of wheels/tires and wait for a sale on a clutch. Alternstely you can contact CM and see if they will offer you any sort of a discount but everything was on sale LAST month...

(EDIT: In no way am I making an assumption about your fiscal ability or income, I am merely trying NOT to condone spending more than $200 a month on your car annually! Thats a car payment on a lightly used Corolla :lol: My budget this year for my car is $10k because I am tracking it. I spent more than that last year and the year before that.)

THIS IS RATED FOR 500tq at the flywheel. I am running it right now. I expect to toast it when I switch to e85 but it should be more than plenty for your setup and is still basically a full face. Look at the product description (not the short one)

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-722/Comp-Clutch-06-dsh-11-WRX/Detail

This is likely my next clutch and what a "deal" at only $1700.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Exedy-FM032SD-Stage-4-Heavy-Duty-Twin-Metallic-Disc-Clutch-Kit

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/products/exedy/exe_fm032sd_1_sd.jpg

OK spoke to Brian (itsme) and he agrees save for the clutch and look for deals. He said I should not have replace the FW if it is okay and it should be I drive pretty chill, mashing on it is not my thing nor are hard launches. I will just take it easy and hope for the best. I drove it tonight and everything seemed fine. I am still getting those rims, and yes I agree I do not want to make it a habit of spending any more money than I have to. I knew the clutch might be an issue just never ready financially for it when it goes. That is a nice clutch above.

Rhetorical questions you should ask yourself but not bother replying to in thread...If mashing it isn't your thing why go past stage 2? Would I be happier on a 91oct tune, buying myself some wheels and using this clutch for another 30k miles or more before I need to do a clutch swap? How much satisfaction do I get from babying the car? How much dissatisfaction do I get from spending on parts more than once? Weigh your options honestly with yourself and f--k forum opinions.

Bryan is great, he is my friend, he occasionally pioneers a part and is a solid vendor Mike has real-world experience, he runs a shop, occasionally has a part engineered, is my best friend and is a solid vendor. Bryan did not put your car together and to my knowledge you are not having any problems with parts Mike sourced and installed for you. Talk to Mike. As a matter of point I have more personal experience than Bryan with Exedy stage 1 clutches since I've had one and on a strikingly similar setup to yours. If you leave enough of that Exedy on that LWFW and overheat it causing bluing its going to need to be resurfaced or replaced with that WRX SMFW that you have. I remember what my LWFW looked like after the Exedy. Let me see if I can find a pic...crap doesn't look like I put them in my build thread...

Driving it tonight OF COURSE it seemed fine. If you are not spooling up more power than you were on 91 the clutch is not gonna slip. Its not like you have gone to the dragstrip or roasted it multiple times like I did so the clutch should not be cooked, yet. You did not mention any nasty clutch smells after the 4th gear slip so I assume its okay. So now that you have a built, corn eating beast with only passing interest in mashing on the pedal, I once again suggest you swap back to your 91oct tune, that is unless you decide you are going to mash on it.

Personally I could NOT go back to pump after e85 on your size turbo. I found the pump tune to be practically undriveable in comparison. Shamar said "What? Undriveable? That was a good tune". Yeah, the tune was fine. It was the power difference I could not accept :wub:

EDIT: IM THE POSTER CHILD FOR SUGGESTING FISCAL CAUTION :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a little worried about the fate of e85, personally. I heard that about 10% of the ethanol plants have shut down across the nation. I haven't checked the pumps here, to the OP, has there been any stations in your neck of the woods that have stopped pumping e85? And how are prices?

I just read that clutch rant, sorry for calling it a rant.

Then pipe down you, I'm one of the few that actually pushes his parts.

Lol wait Shamar didn't say anything. Knock that off...

You don't remember me calling my pump tune on the vf39 was "undriveable" after going e85?:lol:

I'm a little worried about the fate of e85, personally. I heard that about 10% of the ethanol plants have shut down across the nation. I haven't checked the pumps here, to the OP, has there been any stations in your neck of the woods that have stopped pumping e85? And how are prices?

What? I'm helping Propel push pumps in CA. Trying to make it so its easy to drive from San Fran to San Diego on e85 without worrying about where the next station is.;)

Nothing different that I've noticed.

Still about 30-40 cents lower than unleaded and all the e85 stations still have them.

To update everyone, My car will be getting tuned this weekend finally, so I will have numbers(e70) up by monday and (e85) maybe sometime in May

• 2 weeks later...

Archived