LegacyGT.com

What's a good compliment to the LGT on the driveway...

About a month ago the Mrs was involved in a auto mishap that wrote of our beloved 1995 Accord Sedan.

We are now in the market for another car and we have narrowed the search down to two vehicles:

1) 2004 Acura TSX

12000 kms (8000 mls)

Silver with the full OEM body kit and foglights

6 spd

Showroom condition

2) 2003 Infiniti G35

45000 kms (30000 mls)

Black

6 spd

Excellent condition (not quite showroom :-) )

Price is within $200.00 of each other.

So what do you all think? Which one should we go for? Which one will compliment the the Leg GT the most.

If the mileage was the same on both the cars, there would be no doubt in my mind that I would take the G35.

Please respond asap since I need to have my mind made up by Friday evening at the latest.

I am glad I was thinking the right way. I want the G35 also, it's just that the depreciation and RWD factors scare me a little.

Anyone know how bad the depreciation on Infinitis are. Is it as bad as a Saab or Mazda?

I am glad I was thinking the right way. I want the G35 also, it's just that the depreciation and RWD factors scare me a little.

Anyone know how bad the depreciation on Infinitis are. Is it as bad as a Saab or Mazda?

I've always been told that the depreciation for Infiniti was generally good. Also, most of the mark up is wrapped into the first 2 years of a car's life. As for your decision, I almost bought the G35, but that TSX sounds nice too. Oh the choices. Good luck with your purchase.

I have owned a LGT(own) and a TSX(owned).. and have test driven the G35

The TSX is a very nice car, the problem with is comes with the engine, its a mixed blessing.. Wheras in the G35 you have a V6 so torque is not a problem, the TSX is a high compression VTEC engine, which means off the line its always gonna feel a little slow.. To really have fun with the car you always have to wring it up to redline.. it has balls but it makes you work to find them.. downshifting and punching it once you are going has good solid acceleration and hitting the 2nd lobes when vtec kicks in produces a fun sound. I sold my TSX for two reasons, One it was a lease and i was sick of leasing and not being able to do crap to my car and two it just didnt forfil the raw accelration tha I like.

As a 2nd car to the LGT, i think it would make a better compliment then the G35, as with the current gas prices a 4cyl engine that gets good milage when you baby it would be better then a v6..

Plus being in canada and having shitty winters, the FWD would be good. I drove the TSX through a chicago winter and it handled quite well even on stock wheels/tires...

just my 2c

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The 1st owner already absorbed the majority of the hit! When you go to sell it, I wouldn't expect it to be any worse off than other comparable cars.

That said, definitely the G35, you've got AWD in the Subie for the bad weather.

agreed, G35.. I looked at the TSX, its a great car lots of good features, but I have a feeling after riding in a legacy.. its not gonna be enough power for the mrs. lol their 210hp 4cyl is sluggish at best imo.

the G35... the 03 model if its what I think it is.. can be retrofitted with the newer G35 taillights, the sporter looking rounded LED style instead of the flat array like the older ones have. You could probablly also find a re-tune for that motor to bump it up to the 298 they currently have :D:D:D ya know.. for those days when you need to take her car

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'd look at it as a replacement for an old Accord... the Subie is your performance vehicle, this car is going to be your cheap ride (good mileage, practical, etc.) just like the Accord was. Setting aside my preference for the TSX over the G35 driving-wise, I think the TSX is also the better business decision... less than 1/3 of the mileage, better shape, with that expensive OEM body kit and you say they're within $200... the TSX as a 2nd car makes more sense to me than the G35.

Oh, yeah... and the Mrs. is probably accustomed to relatively easy Honda FWD transportation in the winter time, as opposed to a high-torque RWD car. I'd buy the TSX as the 2nd in TX... in Canada I don't think I'd even consider a non-AWD G35 unless it was going to be the summer car.

lol, I agree.. a 2nd legacy would be the PERFECT compliment lol, but since its not on your list I wasn't going to say anything
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Wow, so far it seems to be an even split amongst the members.

Thanks for all the interesting feedback.

A few things to address:

1) The G35 we are looking at is a 4 door.

2) Winters here in Toronto are not as snowy as some may think and to top that off the roads are cleared up very very quickly. Toronto has some of the best snow removal machinery in the world. (I am not sure if we should be proud of that or not :-) ).

3) Believe it or not the fuel economy in both the cars are very similar. I was surprised myself. Checkout http://www.fueleconomy.gov

Keep the input coming. I have till tomorrow night till I decide. Ofcourse, I'll be sure to let everyone know what the final decision is.

Bottom line, my heart says G35 but my mind says TSX!!!

Wow, so far it seems to be an even split amongst the members.

3) Believe it or not the fuel economy in both the cars are very similar. I was surprised myself. Checkout www.fueleconomy.gov

while it looks close on paper, that 4MPG highway will add up over time, plus i know guys on the acura board do better when driving nice..

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16425

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

agreed, my research on the G35 turned me away because of terrible fuel economy, I think it was rated to get 17 @ 93 octane where the TSX gets like 22. this is both city I hardly even look at highway mileage cos I seldom go there.

also I agree with the above, follow your heart and go with what you like the most, be it features or appearance, cos both are very good cars, I ran into this same brick wall when deciding on my lgt, what it REALLY boils down to is.. which do you like more? decide that.. and then go with it, being happy with your car is very important IMO

But what does your wife's heart say?? From your original post, it sounds like she may be spending as much time in this car as you will be.

If it's mainly mileage, do a long-term calculation on gas costs between the two cars (say, for 5 years worth). See what the price difference would roughly be. It might be more than what you thought, or less. If significantly less, that may affect your decision.

My advice is go with your heart. You're going to be spending thousands and thousands of dollars, so buy what will make you happy.

Good luck on the decision, and tell us what you decide!

(Personally I prefer G35.. don't care much for the TSX's looks ;) )

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I'd vote for the Legacy 2.5i limited, or 06 Impreza 2.5RS/WRX. (probably have to wait on the WRX, though. Not out yet in US. Press release, but not on dealer lots yet, IIRC.)

TSX... Wrong wheel drive, and if weather is a concern, then Subie's AWD is better. Style isn't too bad.

G35... decent, coupe is good. RWD might be a winter concern, car is heavy, not much difference in mileage than LGT. interior is questionable-style, service and parts markup might be a thing to look at.

Buy what your wife wants, and as as nice as you can comfortably afford. Hopefully she'll be happy.

If my wife needed a new car, and didn't have a huge need for practicality, just for a-to-b, I'd get her a Mini or a Miata. something stylish and fun. (Oh, wait, she already has a Miata... and she loves it! Next car, an LGT, is MINE!)

When her old toyota corrola was too far gone, my wife just wanted another basic coupe or sedan. just something reliable and not ugly. I showed her Miata, we bought one, and have had it for 4 years, with no plans to ever sell. (except to get a mazdaspeed Miata.)

She still thanks me every once in a while for showing her such a fun and attention-getting car. We get comments on our classic red miata on a weekly basis, daily if it is freshly detailed. If your wife says she doesn't want the attention, she is either unaccustomed, or lying. She'll like the attention. Mark my words.

We have to have a four door. Otherwise the mini would make her day.

I think we are leaning more and more towards the G35. We are going to have another look at it tomorrow morning. Either one should be a done deal by end of day tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted.

We test drove both the cars again and this time to through in a little more confusion to the mix we even test drove a TL 6 speed that the dealer had as a recent tradin on an MDX!!!

Well, believe it or not I would take the TSX over the TL!!! The TL has serious fit and finish issues and it felt very imbalanced. The TSX is very nice but the lack of power would eventually get to us.

So the final decision was the G35. We have it on the driveway and we've got nothing but smiles.

Thanks to everyone for thei input and advise. If anyone is interested in pics and can help me host them please let me know.

Archived