LegacyGT.com

Oil. or bust.

I was surprised to see that the Rotella T6 was used in the LGT... so that oil is suppose to be for diesel engines. Whats the advantage of using it?

Turbo Subaru's tend to shear oils pretty badly, and starting with a 5w30 tends to leave you with a 20 weight after your oil interval. Using a more robust oil to start with is to your benefit.

Check out 'bob is the oil guy' for the most comprehensive oil forum out there, plenty of Subaru owners represented there.

fixed!

I've been considering it, esp since last time I needed a crusher washer it was $2.50 for two at Pep Boys..

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

0W-30 AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil & Ea oil filters all year round. 15k OCI, still rock for over 200k ,original motor & VF-40 turbo at 18.5 psi.

Mike

Don't get him going... ....:confused::rolleyes::lol:

Buy two gallons and one qt of t6. After you drain the oil and put the plug back in, put the first gallon in. Then open the qt and bring the oil level up to full. Use that qt to top it off weekly as needed or so. Re-fill that qt from the other gallon you bought. Repeat the process as needed.

I used to run the rotella 15w-40 in the summer and a 10w or 5w-30 in the winter.

Now, HAMMERDOWN has me putting Amsoil in 3 cars. .... :eek::spin:Yap it's all my fault:spin::)

Be careful what you ask...LOL .... :p;):lol: Like I really twisted you arm on that one:rolleyes::)

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentGuns http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

how often do you check / add oil? and how much do you typically have to add?

Check oil once a week. That about 600-700 miles. I add 2-4qts. over the 15k OCI. Depends on how hard I drive it.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Ive changed my oil about 5 or 6 times since owning the car. The dealer did it when I bought it and never put a crush washer on. Since ive changed it Ive never used one. Lol... thinking about getting a fumoto valve cause I'm too lazy to buy washers.

Ive never had any problems with it though. Aside from having to use a breaker bar to break the plug because apparently the dealer impacted it on.

Hammer down, do you have your banjo filter removed?

Yes, from other threads I posted in.

I finally got around to pulling both of the Banjo filter bolts. The turbo one was about 50% plugged. And the driver side ACVS unit was 25% plugged.

Pic. of turbo Banjo filter. Over 73k on my GT

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0812072233.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0812072235.jpg

I stated this earlier.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=44

But change my mind. Do to my oil\filter change history. I put new filter bolts in to see if the clogging took place more in the first 30k Mobil1\Fram or the last 43k, using Amsoil oil\filer.

Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

This would be me:p:). 2 microns filtration, 15k OCI, Cobbs stage 1 93 tune, 16.2 psi. of max boost & 169k+miles on the original motor & turbo. Took the original ones out at 73k. Another 4k I will have 100k on this set of banjo filter bolts. Then I will inspect & if all is fine. I will leave them out. If I have crap in them. I but new ones in & change them out every 100k.

Mike

Update, back is Sept.2011, at 174k, I recheck my banjo filter bolts. After 100k on just Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Both banjo filter bolts was clean. So I remove both filters from the banjo bolts & reinstalled with new washers. There was no shaft play on my original VF-40 turbo.

Oil history from day1:

New. SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. oil & filter change till 30k, Mobil1, 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ Fram oil

filter every 3000 miles.

Amsoil 0w-30 SSO and Amsoil Ea oil filter, Ea15k13 oil filter at 30k-73k .

At 73K, my filtration I use.http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ons-81741.html My oil system now is 7qt. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

Most off the shelf oil filter, filter down between 20 & 40 microns. Amsoil full-flow oil filter is 15 microns & Amsoil By-Pass oil filter is 2 microns.

This filtration system add 2qts. of oil to you motor. Which help keep the oil cooler.

My GT mileage; over 200k

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 150k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

My 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2.0L DI turbo charge motor, Same oil & OCI, but No Ea filter is available. I use a WIX filter. Change oil filter only every 5k. GXP as over 84k. No oil consummation over it's 15k OCI.

In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use oil & filter that will protect for the OCI your running. OA's is the only way you know that yoru oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

5W-40 only in my car. All year long.

As far as filters, I stick with the OE filter. The pressure relief is much lower that a standard "off the shelf" aftermarket filter. I have disected almost every filter available and the Mobil 1 for the subaru has a rediculous tiny filter element. Look at the inlet holes on a Subaru vs any aftermarket filter. Measure the size of the holes and the quanity. I strongly feel a Subaru filter will/does flow better. I think I have a thread with pictures of the filters side by side, taken apart.

So it seems like I need to start using a different filter also. I think next oil change I will take it to my me mechanic again and have him check the banjo bolts and in my meantime I will look for one of these fumoto valves.

+1 for the Fumoto's 3 out of 4 of my cars have them.

The 4th one only get's it's oil changed once a year, 86 F-150, less then 2000 miles a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I ran a fumoto on my LGT and then swapped it over to my WRX. Its pretty low and I don't have to jack the car up to do an oil change since its tool-less now.

I ran T6 with Subie blue filters on my LGT, but now I run Amsoil 5w40 euro blend and Purloator P1 filters in my WRX. I didn't use a noticeable amount over my last 3500 mile OCI, and I'm awaiting blackstone results about extending my OCI to 5k-7500 miles. Basically I'm paying more for oil to not have to change it as often.

It's cool; I'm with the band

• 4 weeks later...

I've never used any oil.

I have Mobil 1 full synthetic with Mobil 1 filter in it now, but after reading this I think I'll get Rotella T6 next. Still unsure about a filter.

They want me to change my oil every 5k :rolleyes:

What's this banjo filter I'm hearing about?

Do a quick search and there should be a thread about the whole thing and how to remove it if it hasn't been removed already.

In the 05 and maybe 06 LGTs, there was a filter in the banjo bolt on the block under the turbo inlet that connects the turbo oil feed line. There were a lot of issues with that getting clogged with crap and starving the turbo of oil. No oil to the turbo means no more turbo. It was bad enough that Subaru eliminated the filter in subsequent years.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Do a quick search and there should be a thread about the whole thing and how to remove it if it hasn't been removed already.

In the 05 and maybe 06 LGTs, there was a filter in the banjo bolt on the block under the turbo inlet that connects the turbo oil feed line. There were a lot of issues with that getting clogged with crap and starving the turbo of oil. No oil to the turbo means no more turbo. It was bad enough that Subaru eliminated the filter in subsequent years.

My turbo was just replaced, could it still be an issue?

Archived