LegacyGT.com

Oil. or bust.

So what do most people run in their turbo lgt?

says 5-30 for -20' F up. I wonder if thats why everyone burns so much oil because 10-30 is rated for 0'F up too thin voscosity blows past everything.

thoughts comments?

plan on running 10-30 dino oil til it gets colder than 0' if it does than ill switch to 5-30

You can find the Rotella T6 in quarts as well if you look around. I have seen it once. I usually just buy 2 gallons and then keep a few extra quart bottles from changing the oil on my wife's car. Then fill those with the left-over oil from the second gallon and keep one or two in the trunk.

how often do you check / add oil? and how much do you typically have to add?

I check mine every other fill-up. My car doesn't really burn oil at all between my 3k OCI's. Each car is a little different, so just make sure you keep track of it on a somewhat regular, somewhat frequent, interval.

If you purchase Rotella T-6 5w40, please be aware that IT COMES IN A ONE GALLON CONTAINER, NOT A 5 QUART. YOU WILL NEED TWO. Ask me how I know. That is all.

Yea I saw that and purchased 2 gallons of it. And a Mobil 1 filter. What filters does everyone else use? Any opinions on the Mobil 1 filters?

You can find the Rotella T6 in quarts as well if you look around. I have seen it once. I usually just buy 2 gallons and then keep a few extra quart bottles from changing the oil on my wife's car. Then fill those with the left-over oil from the second gallon and keep one or two in the trunk.

I check mine every other fill-up. My car doesn't really burn oil at all between my 3k OCI's. Each car is a little different, so just make sure you keep track of it on a somewhat regular, somewhat frequent, interval.

0W-30 AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil & Ea oil filters all year round. 15k OCI, still rock for over 200k ,original motor & VF-40 turbo at 18.5 psi.

Mike

how often do you check / add oil? and how much do you typically have to add?

Don't get him going...

Buy two gallons and one qt of t6. After you drain the oil and put the plug back in, put the first gallon in. Then open the qt and bring the oil level up to full. Use that qt to top it off weekly as needed or so. Re-fill that qt from the other gallon you bought. Repeat the process as needed.

I used to run the rotella 15w-40 in the summer and a 10w or 5w-30 in the winter.

Now, HAMMERDOWN has me putting Amsoil in 3 cars.

Be careful what you ask...LOL

Oh if you can't find t6 in qt's, any old qt oil bottle will work.

I cleaned out the back of the wagon last weekend and found 2 qt's of Castrol GTX on top of the spare tire. Both were open so they could of had any oil in them. :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

5W-40 only in my car. All year long.

As far as filters, I stick with the OE filter. The pressure relief is much lower that a standard "off the shelf" aftermarket filter. I have disected almost every filter available and the Mobil 1 for the subaru has a rediculous tiny filter element. Look at the inlet holes on a Subaru vs any aftermarket filter. Measure the size of the holes and the quanity. I strongly feel a Subaru filter will/does flow better. I think I have a thread with pictures of the filters side by side, taken apart.

Archived