LegacyGT.com

Timing belt ?

I use that exact model and I vaguely remember having to flip it to the adapter on the opposite side, and then dial in the adjustment screw on the opposing side so that the lever action is in the sweet spot while you are clamping it. If you can make a wooden bench to support the heads - stably - at an angle, your life will be much easier. That was the first thing I did after my first Subaru head tear-down.

i will say that this tool is required. there's no easier way to remove the springs and valves, and certainly almost NO way to reinstall the springs with cap and keepers, you will pull your hair out without this tool.

Oh, and I do absolutely recommend buying the SPX cam sprocket wrenches. They are expensive but make installing/removing the cam sprocket bolt a snap. They also are good holding tools during timing belt installation, if you have an extra pair of hands around.

I bought mine from Handsontools.com, they were significantly cheaper than the other online retailers I found.

yes, you will certainly benefit from those. many-a-nightmares of trying to remove a seized cam sprocket without luck. massive breaker bar, and the sprocket holders will get them off (hopefully). if the bolt strips then you'll have to break the back timing cover so you can remove the cam + sprocket, and then throw them both away :lol: because that shit is NEVA comin off

^ Yup, I bent all four intake valves my first time around because the timing belt + three pairs of vice-grips method wasn't enough. Combined with the cost for two replacement exhaust valves (Na-filled) the six valves were almost the cost of one cam wrench! They look awesome in the tool collection as well. :lol:

yes, you will certainly benefit from those. many-a-nightmares of trying to remove a seized cam sprocket without luck. massive breaker bar, and the sprocket holders will get them off (hopefully). if the bolt strips then you'll have to break the back timing cover so you can remove the cam + sprocket, and then throw them both away :lol: because that shit is NEVA comin off

ya. exhaust cam bolts both stripped. i just drilled them out and ordered new ones for $2.40 each

Finally home, here's my head at 154,000 miles.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4735.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4737.jpg

And bottom end,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4740.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Archived