LegacyGT.com

Timing belt ?

How dirty does it look in there ? I find it hard to believe you have low oil flow if the normal oil changes were done.

In my thread "Got some new stuff for engine R&R" you can see photos of my heads at 154,000 miles to give you some idea normal looks like.

Do you have pictures ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the gates kit is a good quality kit, should have no problem lasting 100k. what i do highly recommend is buying an oem water pump gasket from the dealer, its a helluva lot better quality than the one that comes in the gates kit.

The gates kit they say is the same as OEM.

I buy my drive belts from the auto parts store for less money, I changed them back at 95,000 miles and they are still on there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nor is the pump, from photos I've seen.

IMHO, it's also a good idea to replace the idlers "while you're in there". They'll be good for another 100K easily, and you can have piece of mind knowing another failure point is out of your way.

head work is common when tearing a boxer apart. ALWAYS check valve lash before buttoning a motor build back up, the last thing you want to happen is a misfire and have to pull the motor again simply because you needed smaller buckets afterall. you can send your heads to be planed and cleaned up, valve seals evened out, valves checked, lash checked(provide them the specs).

head work is common when tearing a boxer apart. ALWAYS check valve lash before buttoning a motor build back up, the last thing you want to happen is a misfire and have to pull the motor again simply because you needed smaller buckets afterall. you can send your heads to be planed and cleaned up, valve seals evened out, valves checked, lash checked(provide them the specs).

ok im comfortable checking lash, milling /grinding heads, lapping in valves. basically any head work... BUT... how the heck do you compress the springs since they are recessed?

Archived