LegacyGT.com

Lads, I'll see you all in prison (new GT wagon gushing)

Picked her up this evening, already have 100 miles or so on the clock. It came with 9 miles, btw. This thing is SO fast, and yes, there is no break in period. Not according to the manual, or according to the dealer/service folks. This car is better than I am, and the suspension feels oh, so compliant yet firm, positively Teutonic. More details tomorrow. I need some sleep. Kevin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I am going to be the last one to get one of these things. I am pretty pumped about getting my car. Expecially since I won't have to deal with the crappy RE92s. I am so pumped that I even bought some driving shoes last night, yes, driving shoes. :D Kevin, I am very happy for you! Congrats!

Guest *Jedimaster*
Congrats and don't drop the soap. BTW, how is it that you're allowed to use the internet in "Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison"? :lol:

I'm still the only one I have seen on the road in my area, but alas I assume they will be all over a bit down the line. My only hpe is that at least there might not be as many GT's--the one dealer told me they only sold three of the old GT's last year, and that this market isn't really big for them. People see it as an awd alternate for something like an accord but find the base model adequate and don't want to spring for the GT. So thats something anyway. I gues people are just cheap here--3 years into ownership and I didn't see THAT many other wrx's around. A few college kids in the neighboring college towns. A few older guys down in the one neighboring city. But pretty much nobody in the smaller towns around here. They just go for the rgular RS or Legacy. Fine by me!

Okay, here's the deal: Fit and finish: First rate, with tight gaps and what appear to be high tolerances. The overall impression is one of high quality and careful assembly. All the doors close with a reassuring thud, particularly the liftgate. I love the aluminum sills on the doors, and at the rear of the wagon liftgate, too. Nits: As mentioned earlier, the shifter boot is too big, so the folds of fabric make noise if you don't arrange them properly. That's an easy fix. That panel on the extreme left side of the dash, on the side, seems rather flimsy. But I don't think you're ever supposed to see it, as you only see it when the door is closed. The subwoofer is under the driver's seat. I'm not into having my tush vibrated with the music. There's no front jacking point either, so to change wheels, you have to use the Subaru jack for the front, and do it side by side. Driving impressions: The tires definitely aren't up to the rest of the car, which demands smoothness of the driver in a way similar to the WRX, but even more so. The speed builds in a linear rush of acceleration. I noticed that if you are familiar with the WRX, add about 20-25 mph to the speed. That is, an effort and acceleration level with the WRX that has you going 70, has you going about 95 in the Legacy GT. With the windows up, you have to REALLY watch the speedometer. It is so easy, even staying under 4K rpms, to get into "jail velocities" fairly quickly. There is some engine noise that creeps into the cabin, just enough so you know it's there, and can feel involved. Handling: This car is exceptional, very German in its feel. It has a first-rate blend of firmness and compliance. It matches my driving style perfectly, in that the way I turn in is to feed the car into the corner, carving as smooth an arc as possible. The GT does this beautifully. More abrupt movements upset the car, and induce body roll. Smooth movements keep things nice and planted. The tires aren't up to the suspension, that's for sure, but that's an easy fix. I love how the car lets you know you've gone over a bump, but doesn't transmit the information into the car. There's no discernible bump steer either, which is VERY nice, and you don't notice the absence of steering kickback (the GT has a system that endeavors to eliminate that) until you recall driving other cars that have it. Braking: The brakes work really well. There is some dead spot in the initial pedal travel, but you gradually learn to push right past it. I'd guess it's maybe the first 1/2" of pedal travel. They are very smooth and linear, with braking effort that corresponds to pedal pressure. Brakes won't be a worry at all. They feel stronger, and as good as my WRX's brakes, which were 4-pots, stainless lines and SuperBlue fluid. Headlights: (forgot about this one) The H7 projectors are most excellent, throwing a wide, long blanket of whitish/yellow light. I just can't see the need for HIDs with this car, particularly once the VisionPlus bulbs go in, which will make them even whiter and brighter. I tried the "fogs," but can't envision a situation where they would ever be useful. The light is bright, but too close to the bumper to be at all effective. The Outback's fogs would appear to be a more effective solution. Overall impressions: Quality and understated elegance are the watchwords for this car. Everything falls right to hand. I also like how the car makes you hold on to the steering wheel, where your hands should be. There's no elbow rest in the center, and the door sill is far enough away where unless you're tall, it's a stretch to get to it. So the best place for your hands becomes the steering wheel. Materials: The matte finish dash is very nice, as it eliminates unwanted reflections. Looks like it will be hard to keep clean, however. The door inserts, etc, are beautiful. The entire interior is nice and understated, except for the gauges dance, which is SO cool. Switchgear has that nice, smooth, Honda feel, smooth and quiet, yet very positive action. The only grouse is that the shifter boot is too large. That will have to be trimmed for a nicer fit. All in all, I am absolutely over the moon with this car. It's every bit as good as advertised, and then some. It turns heads, and looks much, much better in person than it does in any picture. Kevin

Congratulations Kevin! I'm currently working on getting spousal approval to get a GT instead of the OBXT, as I could not leave the brakes "as is" on the OBXT. I really want to reign in my modding habit. So, the big question is, are you going to leave the suspension "as is" or give in to temptation? I'm willing to wager that w/in a year you will have new suspension bits somewhere underneath.

[quote name='bgsntth']Congratulations Kevin! I'm currently working on getting spousal approval to get a GT instead of the OBXT, as I could not leave the brakes "as is" on the OBXT. I really want to reign in my modding habit. So, the big question is, are you going to leave the suspension "as is" or give in to temptation? I'm willing to wager that w/in a year you will have new suspension bits somewhere underneath.[/quote] Nope. Done. I will change wheels in the summer and winter. That's it. This car handles so well. One guy looked under the car and said "Dang, that thing needs a bigger rear swaybar." He's never driven one, and doesn't know how beautifully it corners, and how you can get the tail out with injudicious maneuvers, or just for fun. So visually, he's reacting to what he thinks should be there. Those swaybar mounting points give me tingles every time I look a them. This car was designed with me in mind, I'm happy to say. Kevin

Great review Kevin! I am glad to hear that someone with your high expectations and standards is impressed with the car. Having both of us come from the WRX camp really says something. I know that you and I have griped about the same issues with the WRX and both looked to eleviate them with this new GT. I am glad to hear that this is and was possible. Very cool! Now you just need some STi pedals and door sils and you will be set! ;):lol:

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Now you just need some STi pedals and door sils and you will be set! ;):lol:[/quote] Don't make me come over there...the other problem is that, accustomed to the torque and power delivery of the WRX, I keep giving the GT too much gas. :lol: Kevin

Congrats Kevin, I have to say that I am very very pleased with this car. You will see how much more it shines with some good rubber. Again I can not wipe the grine off my face everytime I carve a nice smooth arc on every corner at speed or not just pleasure pure......pleasure.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Now you just need some STi pedals and door sils and you will be set! ;):lol:[/quote] Don't make me come over there...the other problem is that, accustomed to the torque and power delivery of the WRX, I keep giving the GT too much gas. :lol: Kevin[/quote] That's what I am hoping, that I don't have to feel like I am making the car move, that it just moves.. unlike the WRX.

One of the beauties of the GT compared to the WRX is the driveability. As an example, as WRX owners know 90 degree turns in the city are too slow for 2nd gear (unless you wanted to lug the engine and be a sitting duck if you needed to move quickly) and getting into 1st while moving was often a pain in the a** for many. The gearing and torque of the GT allow it to happily navigate in 2nd if you wish. Or, getting into 1st is a piece of cake. Dr. Zevil have no fear...the GT requires little effort to make the car go sane or other-than-sane speeds. Tom

Archived