LegacyGT.com

Lads, I'll see you all in prison (new GT wagon gushing)

Hey WRXtom, your last post speaks volumes to those of us that have owned other cars, with MT. I can't imagine having to drop into 1st gear for a corner, but second gear is sweet. Having a strong second gear really enhances sport driving pleasure and everyday driving ease. Very usable info.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='WRXTom']One of the beauties of the GT compared to the WRX is the driveability. As an example, as WRX owners know 90 degree turns in the city are too slow for 2nd gear (unless you wanted to lug the engine and be a sitting duck if you needed to move quickly) and getting into 1st while moving was often a pain in the a** for many. The gearing and torque of the GT allow it to happily navigate in 2nd if you wish. Or, getting into 1st is a piece of cake. Dr. Zevil have no fear...the GT requires little effort to make the car go sane or other-than-sane speeds. Tom[/quote] This is excellent to hear!

[quote name='WRXTom']One of the beauties of the GT compared to the WRX is the driveability. As an example, as WRX owners know 90 degree turns in the city are too slow for 2nd gear (unless you wanted to lug the engine and be a sitting duck if you needed to move quickly) and getting into 1st while moving was often a pain in the a** for many. The gearing and torque of the GT allow it to happily navigate in 2nd if you wish. Or, getting into 1st is a piece of cake. Dr. Zevil have no fear...the GT requires little effort to make the car go sane or other-than-sane speeds. Tom[/quote] This is very good news. I can't stand feeling like a sitting duck when not in the power band.

Ach! What an eejit I am. I fail reading comprehension. It's right on the first page of the "starting and operation" part of the owner's manual: Nothing above 4K rpm for the first 1,000 miles, except in case of emergency (which, of course, can be liberally interpreted). Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']It is an emergency Kevin, have to get through the break-in faster! :lol: BTW, you take her to the Schaumburg meet Kevin? If so, what did the rest of the guys think?[/quote] She was the belle of the ball. I think a few folks are headed for their Subaru dealer this weekend. :lol: Kevin

That doesn't look too bad, unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of anthracite. I think the P1's are a little too playful and WRX-ish for the looks of the new Leggy though. I might just get an extra set of stock wheels for race. They probably weigh 18lbs per or less and with the right tires aren't too heavy per corner, can handle, and can be used in the stock class for AutoX. :) I know Kev, your racin days are behind you. We'll see how long that lasts. :P

My racing days are done. As I said in another thread, I like the looks of the stock wheels better than the P1s, but the P1s are such an excellent wheel that I can't bring myself to part with them. It looks much better in person, like the GT itself. Besides, nobody has to like it. It's my car. :lol: Uncle rao also took care of the DRLs, and debadging. The Subaru badge is set into a depression on the rear of the car, so that one has to stay, not that I would want it to go at any rate. My friend took delivery of his silver sedan today, and he'll be putting his P1s on, as well. He got a Limited, with the short shifter. Kevin

Other thoughts: I washed and waxed it today, and the car is a joy to wax because of its mostly flat surfaces everywhere. I love how the spoiler on the wagon integrates into the roofline, rather than being obviously grafted on, as with the WRX. And my delightful discovery of the day is the way that Subaru solved the washer nozzle problem, by putting them just underneath the hood lid, right in front of the windshield. They won't freeze up because of the engine heat, and it keeps the hood smooth and flowing, enhancing the car's lines. And in case anyone hadn't noticed, the AC is freaking freezing in this thing! :lol: Oh, we found the front jacking point, at the center of the suspension crossmember. It's small, but it's there. Kevin

Keep the thoughts coming Kevin. I enjoy checking this thread. Oh, and I love the anthracite P1's, just maybe not on the GT.. they might look better on a Regal BLue wagon though ;) ... they look nice actually, I would wear them.. they're Prodrive :D

Damn you, Sube, you're right...my buddy with the sedan was over on Sunday, and the stock GT wheels look nicer on the silver, for my tastes, than the P1s. I'm trying to find someone who wants to trade stock GT wheels for my P1s, to have a second set of stockers to run in the winter. Yes, they look good, but in a way that calls attention to the car. I don't really want that, in my old age. Dr. Z, when the hell is your car showing up? Didn't you order at the same time I did (end of May)? Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Damn you, Sube, you're right...my buddy with the sedan was over on Sunday, and the stock GT wheels look nicer on the silver, for my tastes, than the P1s. I'm trying to find someone who wants to trade stock GT wheels for my P1s, to have a second set of stockers to run in the winter. Yes, they look good, but in a way that calls attention to the car. I don't really want that, in my old age. Dr. Z, when the hell is your car showing up? Didn't you order at the same time I did (end of May)? Kevin[/quote] I think mine should be showing up within the next two weeks. Honestly I am not in a big hurry. I would love to get the car but I am really digging this "no car payment" thing. Its going to be nice picking up the car and having some nice rubber on it right away. I want to get some GC-05's..can I barrow your kidney? You should post some more pics of your car debadged..

[quote name='racerdave']Any more driving impressions, Kev? How about the lights? Happy with them? Anything that pops into mind, good or bad, from living with it a little more, just drop a note into this thread. ;)[/quote] Well, I have about 450 or so miles, and I love the lights. As others can attest, they throw a wide, long, white blanket of light that makes it so easy to see. No way will you ever overdrive these lights. I'm still getting used to the steering and its quickness, but that's a good problem to have. It's even smoother with the P1/Dunlop 9000 combo, and the ride quality has improved. The steering picked up a bit of weight, which I like. The 6-CD changer works faster and more silently than the WRX's, to boot, and I LOVE the stainless steel plate on the wagon sill, as well as the chromed handles and tie-downs in the cargo bay. Regarding the cargo bay cover, the pull out could stand to be made from thicker vinyl, more from a perception of quality standpoint, than a protectiveness standpoint. It's also a lot bigger than the WRX wagon that I had. You don't realize how much until you have the two cars side by side. Cabin measurements don't appear to be much different on paper, but in the WRX, with the driver's seat adjusted to my spot, nobody can sit behind me. In the GT, as long as their legs aren't too long, it's all good. I find the shift diagram on the top of the knob irritating, and the backup lights are bright as hell. Other than installing some Hella SuperTones and VisionPlus bulbs, I'm done. Kevin

Sounds great Kevin. Word on my car, should be in by tonight/tomorrow (just called), will be set and ready to go by Saturday. :) I'm pumped now! Now the week will only go slower and slower. :lol: :( Oh well, that will be 2 days worth of break-in time. :) I've got lots of places to stop and see people. :D

[quote name='gtguy'] I find the shift diagram on the top of the knob irritating Kevin[/quote] Same here. That's why I spent the $84 and switched to the accessory Momo knob. Looks much better and I like really the feel. Only problem is that when it sits in the sun it gets VERY hot. I now have OMOM imprinted on my palm like the nazi in Raiders of the Lost Arc!!!

Archived