LegacyGT.com

Clutch problem!!??

95 Legacy EJ22E 5 speed with cruise. What's goin on, with clutch pedal all the way UP no pressure on it, car running not in gear, I can the squiking from the fork which is not a concern, however I also here a sound like metal rubbing. I push the clutch in and it goes away. I'm sure it's the flywheel amd clutch plate rubbing barly.,my quetion is do you agree? And if so can I fix this simply by just adjusting it? Also what is the squiking, it gies away when I push the clutch or push against it under the hood by hand? THANK YOU.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

The throwout bearing comes with the clutch kit. You can buy a clutch kit for less than 200 bucks.

Its standard (and good practice) to replace everything while you're in there to avoid doing it twice. Usually when a throw out bearing starts making noise is close to the end of the clutch disks life.

Its also standard practice (and good practice) to either machine or replace a flywheel with a new clutch.

Before you try and give advise, be sure you're giving PROPER advise. Otherwise you wind up looking like an ass hat.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The throwout bearing comes with the clutch kit. You can buy a clutch kit for less than 200 bucks.

Its standard (and good practice) to replace everything while you're in there to avoid doing it twice. Usually when a throw out bearing starts making noise is close to the end of the clutch disks life.

Its also standard practice (and good practice) to either machine or replace a flywheel with a new clutch.

Before you try and give advise, be sure you're giving PROPER advise. Otherwise you wind up looking like an ass hat.

Dead honest opinion the only one looking like an ass Here is you... Someone asked what was making noise on his car and I told him what was making the noise that was it I didn't advise him to only replace that or do that repair or anything. I do agree while your in there do it all but he didn't ask that I just answered what the noise was. And yes I agree that while your in mite as well change it all and also flywheel may need machining or changing but it doesn't only take an hour to pull a trans and an hour and a half to put it back in or less so 3 hours of work total with changing the clutch so if the user did his own work and didn't want to change the flywheel he could but I do agree with you and you can re read over my posts I never said he should just change the throwout bearing so I don't know why you are trying to start an argument over me simply informing the poster that the noise be was hearing was coming from the throwout bearing

• I Donated

He asked about how to fix it. The truth is you can't know for 100% sure until you take it apart.

I advised him on the "proper" fix.

You gave a half ass answer.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Dead honest opinion the only one looking like an ass Here is you... Someone asked what was making noise on his car and I told him what was making the noise that was it I didn't advise him to only replace that or do that repair or anything. I do agree while your in there do it all but he didn't ask that I just answered what the noise was. And yes I agree that while your in mite as well change it all and also flywheel may need machining or changing but it doesn't only take an hour to pull a trans and an hour and a half to put it back in or less so 3 hours of work total with changing the clutch so if the user did his own work and didn't want to change the flywheel he could but I do agree with you and you can re read over my posts I never said he should just change the throwout bearing so I don't know why you are trying to start an argument over me simply informing the poster that the noise be was hearing was coming from the throwout bearing

tl;dr

also tl;dr

But being that brok posted it I will say that I agree with everything in this post because it is correct.

He asked about how to fix it. The truth is you can't know for 100% sure until you take it apart.

I advised him on the "proper" fix.

You gave a half ass answer.

Okay sorry I gave a half ass correct answer my bad your the master of all subarus and know so much more than me why did I bother

• I Donated
Half ass answer then got defensive when called on it

tl;dr

also tl;dr

But being that brok posted it I will say that I agree with everything in this post because it is correct.

Okay sorry I gave a half ass correct answer my bad your the master of all subarus and know so much more than me why did I bother

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

People were saying that the noise was the clutch rubbing the flywheel and that clearly isn't right and doesn't make sense and I know you posted clutch kit and flywheel I agree that's what he should do and obviously he'll listen to someone with way more posts than me before he listens to me. I just wanted to clarify that the noise was the throwout bearing not the clutch rubbing on the flywheel

If only turbodog could have figured this out as early as you have...

• I Donated

Like I said before, you don't know what it is until you get into it.

I've seen noisy clutches where the rivets on the disk are rubbing on either the flywheel or pressure plate.

So yes, he very well may be correct.

Hahaha someone thought I was serious...

No I'm laughing at the entire string of conversation

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Like I said before, you don't know what it is until you get into it.

I've seen noisy clutches where the rivets on the disk are rubbing on either the flywheel or pressure plate.

So yes, he very well may be correct.

Yes agreed except that if it only does the noise when the pedal is not being pressed then it can't be a clutch especially if it still does it in neutral with the pedal not pressed it only can be the throwout bearing

No I'm laughing at the entire string of conversation

• I Donated

I like your mystical powers of internet diagnostics.

Please teach me oh wise one.

http://www.cruzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/032-china.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I like your mystical powers of internet diagnostics.

Please teach me oh wise one.

Why thank you great sir who think a clutches rivets can make noise while engaged in neutral... Thats totally possible especially since at that point the clutch is spinning the exact same speed as the flywheel you know everything sir and aren't cocky at all a totally humble dude sorry I posted in the sane thread as you

• I Donated
Why thank you great sir who think a clutches rivets can make noise while engaged in neutral... Thats totally possible especially since at that point the clutch is spinning the exact same speed as the flywheel you know everything sir and aren't cocky at all a totally humble dude sorry I posted in the sane thread as you

Ever hear of a slipping clutch?

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/internet-memes-sarah-jessica-parker-is-a-great-mechanic.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived