LegacyGT.com

Another iON Performance Spring Group Buy

HansGT

HAN's

I am in for the Group Buy, but I am dealing with iON directly as they are a CAN shop just one province over...

But I should be considered as part of the GB to get your numbers up.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been quoted from $250-$350 so far...depends on the shop. If you do them yourself' date=' be sure you have all the tools.[/quote']

If I was still in Ontario with my dad + brother-in-law to help, I'd consider it (we installed the rears for several cars, my brother-in-law has done both front + back before). Here in California with just me and myself to help and no real tools.. Probably not.. (especially on a nearly brand new car).

Which means, probably $750+ just to install springs when all is said and done. Ouch. Might as well plunk the $940 for the Ksport coilovers and $250-350 to install those. Sure, $1250, but that gets me adjustable shocks + springs..

Sigh.. Wish we weren't buying a house :-)

Guess the AP will still be my first purchase - hopefully $0 installation cost :-)

HV

Might as well plunk the $940 for the Ksport coilovers

Sure, if that's what you need - and you want to take them off and ship them to Arizona to get rebuilt every 40,000 miles at $400+ shipping... not to mention the cost of de-installation and re-installation.

Oh yes, and you only get a one year warranty with the KSports too.

hadvw - One thing people often overlook is the fact that coil-overs do require continual maintence. Also, a poorly set-up coilover will not perform as well as a properly set of struts/springs.

What kind of continual maintenance to coilovers require?

HV

hadvw - Depending on the type of coil-over; some of them do require a scheduled rebuild every "x" miles. Others require you to remove the units to throughly clean them. The threaded collars require attention as well; debris etc will lodge there and if you try adjusting the perch you will end up scoring the threads (if they're not clean).

Sure, if that's what you need - and you want to take them off and ship them to Arizona to get rebuilt every 40,000 miles at $400+ shipping... not to mention the cost of de-installation and re-installation.

Oh yes, and you only get a one year warranty with the KSports too.

Sure, if that's what you need - and you want to take them off and ship them to Arizona to get rebuilt every 40,000 miles at $400+ shipping...

There is that risk. But, there's also the risk that these springs aren't a good fit for the struts despite everyone having the best of intentions, and I blow OEM struts every 10K miles, which would be even MORE expensive. And of course, NOT covered by warranty.. (I'm sure replacing just one OEM strut/shock with labor will be $400+ EASILY).

I've had the following aftermarket suspensions:

'84 Jetta - KYB shocks, heavy duty springs (sort of aftermarket, not using this as much of an example)

'90 GTi 16v - Bilstein HD struts, Neuspeed SofSport springs

'94 Corrado VR6 - Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.

I owned each car for 4-5 years. Golf & Corrado both had about 50K miles on 'em when I got 'em, and around 125K miles when I sold 'em. I kept track of the owner of the Golf after I sold it. I bought and installed/had installed the suspension listed for the Golf & Corrado (i.e. they were brand new when I put them into my car).

Supposedly, the HD struts & springs were matched for the Golf I got and for each other. In now ~11 years of knowing about the car, and ~9 years of aftermarket suspension, the HD struts have blown I believe 4 times - DEFINITELY 3. Each time was a costly affair, shipping back to California, company going out of business, etc.

I took the PSS9s rallying - got the car airborne 20-30 times total. When I sold the car, apparently one was leaking. But I couldn't tell that it was working less than optimally.

Mind you, this is one data point. But, over 4-5 years, the coilovers cost less to own and were much more of a "get it and forget it" item than just aftermarket springs or springs+shocks. With those, I had problems every other year, usually.

YMMV.

IMHO.

NOT trying to sound offensive or antagonizing. NOT trying to start a flamewar. :-)

HV

Only one year warranty with Ksport

Does iON warranty my OEM shocks/struts? See my other post - I'm JUST as vulnerable, of not more so. With Ksports, at least I have my OEM stuff in a pinch, or could sell the complete suspension.

HV

hadvw - No we do not warranty the OEM shocks/struts. Pending driving style and driving conditions; you can blow your stock suspension as well. And as such this is not something we warranty. Based on our design simulation on "ideal/perfect" road conditions our springs will not increase wear on the stock struts more then 1%. On a "real" road we've seen a maximum reduction of ~15% in usage reduction.

Alot of people come to us and want to get coil-overs for their vehicles. We offer coil-overs too; however we won't offer them to our customers unless they're using it in a motorsport application. If you're street driving; it's generally overkill. It also requires more "attention" then a spring/strut combo. This is just the case with our BBK's that we have. Sure we can offer a full blown non-DOT BBK set-up; however how many of the customers are actually using it for that purposes and rebuilding the caliper as required? That's why we go the extra mile and use on the best that's DOT compliant. Service intervals will be like OEM and you'll still get the performance advantages of a race set-up.

If I was still in Ontario with my dad + brother-in-law to help, I'd consider it (we installed the rears for several cars, my brother-in-law has done both front + back before). Here in California with just me and myself to help and no real tools.. Probably not.. (especially on a nearly brand new car).

Which means, probably $750+ just to install springs when all is said and done. Ouch. Might as well plunk the $940 for the Ksport coilovers and $250-350 to install those. Sure, $1250, but that gets me adjustable shocks + springs..

Sigh.. Wish we weren't buying a house :-)

Guess the AP will still be my first purchase - hopefully $0 installation cost :-)

HV

you may want to recheck your math.

Coilovers:$940 plus shipping....say $1000.

Closer to $400-$500 for the install....more involded than coilovers to install.

Also, you may have to go back and have the chambers set and alignment.

Springs: $330 Group Buy...about $40 shipping (to MD anyway) plus $265-$350 install...we'll say $300. That's only about $650....plus alignment like the coilovers.

All in all, springs would save you about $700-$800 bucks...about half price of a coilover. Just depends on how much performance you want or how big your wallet is. For me coilovers are overkill and do not meet my daily needs.

:D

NOT trying to sound offensive or antagonizing. NOT trying to start a flamewar.HV

Sa'll good - the most important thing is to get what YOU need, and want, on an informed basis.

Under different anticipated useage circumstances I might have made a different choice, but for what I need, this was the deal.

I think I might be in. Are you just taking this till you get 10... or is there a projected close date?

I have read a bunch of posts on the pinks and now these... just to confirm, which spring will set the car lower?

I think I might be in. Are you just taking this till you get 10... or is there a projected close date?

I have read a bunch of posts on the pinks and now these... just to confirm, which spring will set the car lower?

I've taken it upon myself to contact iON cause I want the springs, but would like to get a discount. The only way is to get another group buy going and 10 is the first number for price break. I think after the 10...I'm out as far as pushing this...but if more join in great.

The whole amount is not due right away. (Nobody actually paid anything yet)

Right...once we get 10 confirmed. You'll have to contact iON directly through PM. They will require the following:

(1) Model & Transmission

(2) Their Legacygt.com forum name (log in ID)

(3) Their complete real name

(4) Their most checked email address

(5) Their complete shipping information along with contact phone #.

(6) Their choice of payment method.

(payment via Intl MO. CC via Paypal is subject to the 5% equalization charge.)

50% deposit to hold their spot. The remaining 50% along with shipping will be required before the springs are shipped to the respective participants.

We need each person who wants to participate to send iON these details.

For those who want to send an Intl MO, they have to contact iON on how to do that.

When does this deal end? Or doesn't it..... you just keep trying to get more people.

I would be in but funds are low right now :( waiting to get a DP from crucial first.

End date? Don't know...just trying to get at least 10 people. Good mod list. But remember a tighter suspension will make you faster too.....less lift off the line equals more power to the ground. And the turns can be taken quicker.

Mblock66 - We would like to have to closed up by the end of the month. 50% will be due by the end of the month. The remaining 50% along with the shipping portion will be required prior to shipping.

sutter2k - No one has paid yet for those who've been interested.

evil_O - We plan on ending the GB on the 31st of July. By that time we will hopefully have 10. If there's more people reached by then the pricing ofcourse will be altered to reflect that. Our springs lower the front 30mm and rear 25mm (1.18"/1") These are a slight bit lower then the JDM STi Pinks.

Han's GT - Please make a list of those who've PM'd you or contacted you about joining in. Also put a status of "confirmed" for those who're for sure in.

Mblock66 - We would like to have to closed up by the end of the month. 50% will be due by the end of the month. The remaining 50% along with the shipping portion will be required prior to shipping.

sutter2k - No one has paid yet for those who've been interested.

evil_O - We plan on ending the GB on the 31st of July. By that time we will hopefully have 10. If there's more people reached by then the pricing ofcourse will be altered to reflect that. Our springs lower the front 30mm and rear 25mm (1.18"/1") These are a slight bit lower then the JDM STi Pinks.

Han's GT - Please make a list of those who've PM'd you or contacted you about joining in. Also put a status of "confirmed" for those who're for sure in.

yep....working on it.

Ok, here is a list of us who are currently up for the group buy, but still require your final confirmation. I have sent you all PM's to confirm if you are in or out. NOTE: vendor has specified that July 31st is the last day for the GB.

1. Han'sGT

2. Sutter2K

3. legacysteve68

4. OBXT709

5. trouter

6. rockford33

7. mmm def

8. gireland

9. emosound

10. fezzy

11. evil_0

(confirmed not in, but thanks for the interest anyway)

1. Waynerm002

2. BlkLegGt

3. RADON

4. hadvw

5. Mblock66

Ok, you guys that got my PM. You'll need to PM Jack at iON Performance. The will need:

(1) Model & Transmission

(2) Their Legacygt.com forum name (log in ID)

(3) Their complete real name

(4) Their most checked email address

(5) Their complete shipping information along with contact phone #.

(6) Their choice of payment method.

Archived