LegacyGT.com

Another iON Performance Spring Group Buy

HansGT

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The noise is coming from the front suspension, and I am very sure they are tight enough, if not over tightened a little. I do not get the noise over bumps at all. I can drive over just about anything and I get no noise.

I only get the noise when I turn a sharp corner at low speed (90% of full lock). For a while I thought it was the tranny, but the noise started as soon as I installed the springs. The only way I can reproduce the noise from under the car (at least what sounds very similiar to the noise) is if I pull on the CV joints, in and out from the tranny. The small amount of play there sounds like the noise, but it does not make sense that these would make noise now and not before, except that now the suspension (and CV joint) sits at a slightly different angle.

Guys,

Everything went great at AMS (Atlantic Motorsports, Gaithersburg, MD) ...aside from all the damn rain. Thanks Mike and your crew.

Check out my before and after pics. The drop is nice, especially in the front where it was really needed.

VERDICT: (only about 60 miles on them, so they will settle some yet)

Wow. I really can not tell that the car is any rougher....just feels tighter. I'd say 90%-95% as smooth as stock. On big bumps a little more jarring, but not bad...these are performance springs. The biggest thing I noticed was body roll. It has been reduced greatly. It's still there, but on regular turns were I would be leaning a bit in my seat....now nothing, just whips right around. It reminds me more of my old 944 now. (best damn handling car I ever drove) Exit ramps can be handled at higher speeds with less roll. I got to test this out today while trailing a Z. I kept up pretty damn well on the ramp, if not equal. Then I gave it some juice when I saw him give it some...I pulled nicely.... :D. ahaamm. anyway that is another story I will not discuss here. In addition to the less roll I also noticed less front end lift and virtually no squat when smashing the pedal....very level when accelerating hard. Also a very nice treat is that the car looks good being dropped the extra inch. Overall, money very well spent. The only thing to top this off will be new tires and possibly sway bars.

Thanks Jack, great job!

:D

I'd say ditto for that review. With one exception. I am not crazy about extended dips on the highway. At the end of the dip, the car comes close to bottoming out and then there is some extra motion(ocean effect). Note it kind of did this stock too. I'd rather more of a thud at the end of the dip. This would probably be fixed by better shocks(I only have 4k on the stock ones).

Overall, the springs are very good, but I am kind of picky since the coilovers on my old S4.

I only get the noise when I turn a sharp corner at low speed (90% of full lock). For a while I thought it was the tranny, but the noise started as soon as I installed the springs. The only way I can reproduce the noise from under the car (at least what sounds very similiar to the noise) is if I pull on the CV joints, in and out from the tranny. The small amount of play there sounds like the noise, but it does not make sense that these would make noise now and not before, except that now the suspension (and CV joint) sits at a slightly different angle.

Hmm... that's frustrating...:( I haven't installed the springs myself (I'm in group buy #3), plus that I'm not much a mechanic myself... Hopefully some member on this forum could help! If not, I'll work on it with my friend (an experienced mechanic) when my springs arrive... I hope that this is not a safety issue... Oh, you didn't happend to bend or knock on something during the install?:confused:

Hmm... that's frustrating...:( I haven't installed the springs myself (I'm in group buy #3), plus that I'm not much a mechanic myself... Hopefully some member on this forum could help! If not, I'll work on it with my friend (an experienced mechanic) when my springs arrive... I hope that this is not a safety issue... Oh, you didn't happend to bend or knock on something during the install?:confused:

you may want to call around to some performance shops and see what they would charge for an install. mine was $175 and it only took them 1.5 hrs.

you'll need a spring compressor so you would have to rent it. if your friend is comfortable doing the work....I say go for it. but if you have any doubts I'd spend the $200 and have an experienced shop do it just to be safe.

as a side note...another cool thing the shop did that i never knew was that you can remove the rear seats to easily access bolts that are otherwise tricky to get to through the trunk. it was weird...i looked out in the garage and was like WTF! Why is my rear seat out?! No problems they snap right back in...no issues.

Thanks for your advise Han's GT! Actually, I was going to look for a professional shop to do the install, if I didn't have my mechanic friend (he's a Honda expert). I asked him a if he had the right tools and experience. He answered with a positive yes, so I couldn't resist on saving myself some money:D Well, since he said that the job requires some special tools (which he had), and he's a very trustworthy guy... so... And I think he's going to do this in the place he works at... (his friend owns the place)

And thanks to other members in this forum, I will have the vacation pics ready, in case some helpful info is needed!;) Man, I can't wait to get my springs...:p

UPDATE:

Springs are settling more now and car is feeling even better. Although I have noticed that the rear drivers side is a tad bit lower then the passenger side...were talking only a few mm. Jack say to give it at least a week to settle. And AMS (perfomance shop that installed them) said that spring to spring could have slight variations in height and that it was not uncommon.

Anyone else notice this?

Mine has seemed to settle a little more as well. 2 1/2 weeks now, got the alignment done last Thursday. Still very happy with the springs. I haven't noticed a difference side to side, but I agree the back could be just a little higher in comparison to the front. I'm going to wait a couple of months to evaluate whether I'll do the JDM rear sway, or aftermarket sways.

Now all we need is for some vendor to step up with aftermarket struts... Koni, Bilstein, anyone...?

Han's - How many mm are we talking about?

um...well I'm just cramin two fingers between the wheel and fender. on the one side no problem..the other gets too tight and i have to shuffle the one finger under the other a bit. So if I had to guess maybe 3-5 mm?

(please no comments about my finger as a measuring tool) :D

Han's GT, thats about what I have on the rear drivers side (3-5mm lower) when compared to rear passenger and I wish the rear was a little higher. My springs have been on for a week now, I wanted things to settle before writing a short review. Thanks for the springs Jack! :D The springs are so much better than stock. The floating is kept to a minimum almost gone, car turns flatter, acceleration and braking has improved, hanging in long curves is better and lane changes above 70mph is much more controlled even with the stock tires. This is what I expected out of the stock springs. In the future I want to get better struts, maybe ION will make some struts to match these springs, I'd buy if the pricing was reasonable. :) The car is tad bit bouncy and rougher over some bad bumps here, but this doesn't out-weight the performance gain. Well worth the money spent. I installed a front tower strut bar before the springs heres a short review, I already knew the strut bar would have a limited role and I still can tell the difference after installing it. The steering is a little more direct and turn-in increased slighty, even though the strut towers are practically against the firewall, the bar seems to help keep the front end together when turning over uneven pavement. It doesn't make a huge improvement, but it does help.

Those were my initial impressions that the driver puts more weight on left side and most of the turns I take are right hand, I'd like to find out if the car in stock form has a little more weight distribution to the drivers side rear. I didn't pay much attention to the height of the springs prior to install maybe someone else here that hasn't install theirs yet can take a height measurement of front and rear springs before installing them and then the ride height of the car before and after install. I measured the stock height about three weeks before I got the springs, but I was in a hurry to get them installed before it snowed here and forgot to remeasure it prior to install. Its kind of strange that 2 cars would settle to almost the same amount on the same side. I though the temps would have a little to due with this, but I'm not so sure now, weather here is about 35 degrees with some ice and snow. I'm hoping that if the rear passenger side settles a little it'll even out. I forgot to mention the front height is very close to even and I'll remeasure after work to give a comparsion.

Those were my initial impressions that the driver puts more weight on left side and most of the turns I take are right hand, I'd like to find out if the car in stock form has a little more weight distribution to the drivers side rear. I didn't pay much attention to the height of the springs prior to install maybe someone else here that hasn't install theirs yet can take a height measurement of front and rear springs before installing them and then the ride height of the car before and after install. I measured the stock height about three weeks before I got the springs, but I was in a hurry to get them installed before it snowed here and forgot to remeasure it prior to install. Its kind of strange that 2 cars would settle to almost the same amount on the same side. I though the temps would have a little to due with this, but I'm not so sure now, weather here is about 35 degrees with some ice and snow. I'm hoping that if the rear passenger side settles a little it'll even out. I forgot to mention the front height is very close to even and I'll remeasure after work to give a comparsion.

I noticed that the drivers front was a tiny bit lower than the passenger, but then I parked somewhere else and it reversed sides. Now I think the front are even. I think level ground is the key.

I though about that too, so I'll check the height in a couple different locations to see if it changes. When I originally noticed this I was parked in the driveway with front of car facing the garage, so I parked also with the rear facing the garage waited about 24hrs and it was the same height differences. I've checked at work too, one thing that is common with both parking areas is there is a slight incline and maybe slanted. To the naked eye it looks to be level, but I doubt it, the winters here really warps the asphalt and its also that way for water drainage too. It'll be a challenge to find somewhere thats not slanted, inclined or declined slightly.

I did the install today in Lexington and it went well. Probably took about two and a half hours total work time. We had a couple of interruptions that slowed us down. I did the install at a friend's shop and he has a Viper that he is working on, the owner came it and got to talk with him a bit. It puts about 450 to the ground! We chatted a while and then it was back to work.

I can't imagine doing this without a lift and air tools. Made the job so much easier then me trying to do it in my garage, not that it can't be done, just saved me a lot of cursing and frustration! The offset 17mm from Sears came in handy and would recommend having one on hand as the walkthrough suggests. I also had trouble with the front endlinks, I had the AVO fronts and wanted to put them on and eventually did but the stockers were a PITA to get undone. Also, didn't really need to compress the spring to get them back on the strut. Marked the camber bolts and got them back on in the right spot.

As far as a review, I don't think I have anything to add that others haven't already. I have the JDM RSB and now my roll is almost completely gone, this is the way the car should have been from the factory. I do agree we could use more damping and when we get an affordable adjustable option, I am going to do it. For now this is great and I am glad I got them on before my A/S tires go on for winter. :cool:

The highlights of the day were the Viper - they had to move it so I could get in so I got to hear it growl! Seeing a blown Mazda Miata motor (too much boost!) was interesting, melted heads are not pretty and the look on my friends face afterwards when he saw the car was an AUTOMATIC! :dm: The ride home was icing on the cake with a lot of smooth pavement and twisty backroads.

Guys, I had my iONs installed the other day, and afterward had the dreaded rattle in the left rear. Started the process of tightening the top hat nuts, via the instruction thread, and when I removed my wheel, something didn't look quite right. The left rear spring is yellow, but darker yellow than I remembered. Then I noticed a trademark stamp that says "KING". I researched "KING" springs, and they're made in Australia for WRX and other models. I'm pretty sure that Jack made these springs for us in Canada, right?

Did my installer, who has a 90's Legacy, help himself to my iONs and install King springs on my car? Or are iON springs really King springs? I'd like to know for sure before I confront him.

Thanks.

I'll take a pic in a few hours when I can jack it up again.

I guess it's possible that iON can be marketing King brand springs, and it wouldn't bother me, it just would be surprising, as Jack's posts made it sound like they were being made for us in Canada. My potential issue is with my installer, not iON.

Does anyone still have their springs in a box, and can you check if there is a small brand trademark stamp that says "KING" halfway up the rear coil? The letter "i" in KING is shaped like a coil. The King springs I found on the internet are also yellow, and manufactured only in Australia.

Thanks

C-37pilot - KING is the company we contract to do our initial coil winding. The final processing is done here in Canada. :) We've been in partnership with KING for the past 7 yrs or so, as we do alot of the R&D for their overseas markets. Being that your installer has a '90's Legacy the springs would not fit his car, so you don't have to worry about that :)

Archived