LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light on, Blinking Brake & Cruise Control Light & VDC Light On ???

Or it could not be coils this time. I do understand your frustration though. I am going through misfires again on another vehicle that I had misfires on because of coils (all replaced twice in 77k), MAF, and now looks like a CCV problem (I just replaced recently).

• 11 months later...

Guess what felllas .... this past week it happened AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! another ignition coil went bad and it was another $1400 to replace 1 coil and all 6 spark plugs. WTF at this point? this shouldn't be a repeat issue 4 times in 7 years! 

the service manager gave me a phone number to call subaru relating to this repeat problem and she said they might give me coupons for $$$ off of services? wtf is that going to do for me when i'm experiencing this issue every 18 months or so? 

On 6/3/2023 at 3:10 PM, silverton said:

It's probably the ECM.

Please expand on this? Is this something  i can request them to check? the more info the better. 

i also stand corrected - it was 3 times in 7 years the one time it wasn't the ignition coil - it was the OCV (oil control valve) yet the car reacted and ran the exact same way as when the coil went bad the 3 times. engine runs with a miss, stumbles and has zero acceleration or power. 

thanks 

On 6/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, amichalski81 said:

Guess what felllas .... this past week it happened AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! another ignition coil went bad and it was another $1400 to replace 1 coil and all 6 spark plugs. WTF at this point? this shouldn't be a repeat issue 4 times in 7 years! 

the service manager gave me a phone number to call subaru relating to this repeat problem and she said they might give me coupons for $$$ off of services? wtf is that going to do for me when i'm experiencing this issue every 18 months or so? 

that's a really crazy price, they are taking you for a ride. Go to a different shop. You can get a NGK coilpack for $75 (the company who manufactures the coils for Subaru). Spark plugs are $15 a piece or less, and accessing both is very easy. 45-1hr of labor time.

I'd expect to pay a fraction of what they charged you. :(

12 hours ago, amichalski81 said:

Please expand on this? Is this something  i can request them to check? the more info the better. 

i also stand corrected - it was 3 times in 7 years the one time it wasn't the ignition coil - it was the OCV (oil control valve) yet the car reacted and ran the exact same way as when the coil went bad the 3 times. engine runs with a miss, stumbles and has zero acceleration or power. 

thanks 

Not really, but if you're constantly having coils go bad it only makes sense.  The ECM drives the coils.

9 hours ago, silverton said:

Not really, but if you're constantly having coils go bad it only makes sense.  The ECM drives the coils.

What coils are they replacing yours with?  There are plenty of junk aftermarket coils.  Diamond Electric manufactures the OEM coils.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:25 PM, ToolTime said:

that's a really crazy price, they are taking you for a ride. Go to a different shop. You can get a NGK coilpack for $75 (the company who manufactures the coils for Subaru). Spark plugs are $15 a piece or less, and accessing both is very easy. 45-1hr of labor time.

I'd expect to pay a fraction of what they charged you. :(

I could buy the coil pack but i have no way of knowing which coil is bad. unless I am replacing every wire to each spark plug. 

19 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

What coils are they replacing yours with?  There are plenty of junk aftermarket coils.  Diamond Electric manufactures the OEM coils.

I know you were replying to the other individual but for me - IIRC : my coils were 2,3 and 5 all different times over the past 7 years as I've stated. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, amichalski81 said:

I could buy the coil pack but i have no way of knowing which coil is bad. unless I am replacing every wire to each spark plug. 

The cylinders that are misfiring are likely a good starting point, there are no wires, other than the harness connector.

if you're keen at all to do it yourself, even if you buy 6 new coils, you're looking at what...25% of the price of what the dealership is charging?  hang on to the known replaced coils in case another one dies(they *are* wear items after all), and keep your fingers crossed.  if you're not sure which coil is going bad you can get your codes read at autozone or what-have-you for free, or buy a $5 bluetooth OBDII adapter and download the free Torque app on android to scan codes.

if you're not mechanically inclined, an indie shop will be able to change all of the packs for cheaper than whomever replaced the one and 6 plugs for $1400

if it was the same coil going bad each time then that's a completely different topic and would start down the rabbit hole of diagnostics, but if it's a different cylinder each time i'd be very surprised if it's anything other than just parts wearing out over time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, creep_nu said:

if you're keen at all to do it yourself, even if you buy 6 new coils, you're looking at what...25% of the price of what the dealership is charging?  hang on to the known replaced coils in case another one dies(they *are* wear items after all), and keep your fingers crossed.  if you're not sure which coil is going bad you can get your codes read at autozone or what-have-you for free, or buy a $5 bluetooth OBDII adapter and download the free Torque app on android to scan codes.

if you're not mechanically inclined, an indie shop will be able to change all of the packs for cheaper than whomever replaced the one and 6 plugs for $1400

if it was the same coil going bad each time then that's a completely different topic and would start down the rabbit hole of diagnostics, but if it's a different cylinder each time i'd be very surprised if it's anything other than just parts wearing out over time.  

I worked at an auto shop out of high school for a few years but cars from the late 80's & early 90's are way different than today. i can surely do it myself, it's the diagnosing that is the problem. but maybe i can use an autozone and have the codes read.