LegacyGT.com

joel's eg33 legacy build

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baddog, I'll try to help make this simple. I drove Joel's car yesterday. The simple pro's of both the frankenmotor and the H6 are that they are extremely torquey all over the RPM range and will rev very freely. The H6 has a bit more power over the frankenmotor but unless you're super picky about it, you won't notice it too much, as it's only really felt in the top end where the franken motor starts getting restricted, especially in higher gears. I can't really tell you for certain since the H6 in Joel's car seems to get just a little restricted as well, but that can be attributed to his current exhaust system. It's fairly restrictive. The simple negatives, well the H6 will take quite a bit more work, but you can't really get as much power out of the frankenmotor as the H6 since you can't turbo it....

• 1 month later...

Flat top 25D pistons in a 97-98 EJ25D will increase the compression further IIRC. Something in the 11 range.

Not 100% on numbers but I think its something like this

EJ25D with EJ22E heads is 10.5 ish

EJ251 with EJ22E heads is in the 11 range

Then the deal with the EJ25D flat tops in a newer motor.

Flat top 25D pistons in a 97-98 EJ25D will increase the compression further IIRC.

Excuse my intrusion but I also came up with a similar theories:

98 25D heads on a 96 25D block = High compression 25D.

96 25D heads on a 98 25D block = Low compression 25D.

Of course it's just theory. Someone would actually have to try these combos.

This next bit everyone should know:

22E/T heads on a 25D block = High compression 25D.

22E/T heads on a 251/3 block = High compression 251/3.

25D heads on a 22E/T block = Low compression 22E/T/D.

Quite tempted to do either this or the EJ22D mod sometime next year. I like efficiency, bit I couldbt deal with so little torque down low after putting that much work in.

On the other hand, the 5mt limits my options for the H6. IIRC, the SVX was only automatic because it could torque the old 5mt's to pieces

I'm using the stock trans right now. No problems at all. And there are even people out there on fwd 5mt's w/ the 3.3. As long as your sensible about driving, there is no reason not to have a stock 5mt behind it.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Quite tempted to do either this or the EJ22D mod sometime next year. I like efficiency, bit I couldbt deal with so little torque down low after putting that much work in.

On the other hand, the 5mt limits my options for the H6. IIRC, the SVX was only automatic because it could torque the old 5mt's to pieces

The 5spd transmissions for the JDM engines back when the SVX was released should suffice. After all, those boosted EJs were putting out more power/tq than the EG33 ever did.

Thinking about the JDM 5spds, are they different than what we got here or are they pretty much the same?

Excuse my intrusion but I also came up with a similar theories:

98 25D heads on a 96 25D block = High compression 25D.

96 25D heads on a 98 25D block = Low compression 25D.

Of course it's just theory. Someone would actually have to try these combos.

This next bit everyone should know:

22E/T heads on a 25D block = High compression 25D.

22E/T heads on a 251/3 block = High compression 251/3.

25D heads on a 22E/T block = Low compression 22E/T/D.

Yeah, the 97 to 99 heads on a 96 block with flat top pistons would equal the highest possible compressiom possible using 25D pistons.

The 96 heads on a 97 to 99 block with the deep dish pistons would yield the lowest possible compression using 25D parts

I'm going to use the motor I got from Joel to build my high compression 2.5

It'll take a while to build, and I might try to find an EJ251 block to use, but it'll get uprgaded bearings, piston rings, valves, valve springs, the heads will get milled, upgraded gaskets will be used, every engine gasket will be replaced, I'll get the cams reground and eventually upgrade them and the injectors and go stand alone. I want this motor to rev as well. I'm thinking 8k plus RPM...

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Joel, I saw you were gonna fight with your PS problem, did you ever find a solution. My H6 res doesn't fit the 2.2 pump and my 2.2 pump doesn't fit the H6 bracket. I'm currently stuck with the 2.2 bracket and pump but the hood won't close. I'm thinking of getting the upper PS hose from an SVX so that the fitting will be the same diameter but I don't wanna go hunting for one if you know it doesn't work.

I believe the solution to your problem will be to 1: cut the hood portion that contacts your reservoir. 2: remove your reservoir and "crush" it in a vice until the cap is flush with the top of the reservoir. That is the way that many impreza guys do it. I used my gt pump with the svx flat style reservoir. The lines fit pretty well with a little stretching and I just put a longer piece of hose on for the return line. I did have to dremel out the bracket a good bit to fit the legacy pump. I used carbide bits to grind off the portion of the bracket. It took about an hour but it worked like a champ. Hope this helps.

I don't know of there is a difference in gt/non gt pumps but you should be able to do things the way I did them but if not I know you can crush the reservoir and it work just fine.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Hey Joel, I saw you were gonna fight with your PS problem, did you ever find a solution. My H6 res doesn't fit the 2.2 pump and my 2.2 pump doesn't fit the H6 bracket. I'm currently stuck with the 2.2 bracket and pump but the hood won't close. I'm thinking of getting the upper PS hose from an SVX so that the fitting will be the same diameter but I don't wanna go hunting for one if you know it doesn't work.

Try finding a pump from a 3rd gen legacy, they have a remote reservoir that mounts near the ABS crap

• 4 weeks later...

Archived