LegacyGT.com

Quirks about the Legacy that you don't like.

No telescoping wheel Sound system does not easily allow for after market installation Turn signal 'clicker' is very quiet- can't hear it sometimes Center console DIN is too small for sunglasses (or many electronics) Side curtain airbags take up much of the A-pillar. not sure where to install additional gauges Pocket behind front seats is only on the passenger side- and made of coarse net. Need to put them behind both front seats and make them padded leather. Accessories don't stay on after ignition key is removed (before door is opened). I liked the 30 second delay on the Camry to close windows, etc. Ash tray is way too small to be useful for either a smoker or for toll money. Only holds a few bucks in quarters. 'Upgraded stereo system is probably an improvement for Subaru (This is my first) but is nowhere close to my MTX amp and Infinity Kappa speakers in my old car! Tires are OK (Bridgestones) but will be getting some perelli neros soon. Side Curtain Airbag recall was a real bummer- resulted in three needeless trips to the dealer and still haven't resolved it yet. XM Radio not able to currently be installed due to nonstandard antenna?Head Unit plug All the above is pretty picky- this is an excellent car and a thrill to drive. I have over 3K on it already and have enjoyed every mile.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only nitpicks after 100 miles on the odo is that the fabric (seat leather, carpet and headliner) folding and tucking is not as clean as it could be. Most of it's in unoticeable areas, but there is just a tad bit of sloppiness. Ken

Just to share another point of view, the reasons I'm interested in the LGT is because I'm looking for a daily driver and it offers AWD and a turbo'd engine tied to an automatic trans with sportshift, which means better traction and handling than a FWD car and better modability than a naturally aspirated engine, both in an easy daily driver (automatic). Problem is I'm sacrificing everything else that luxury cars in that price range offer, such as the TSX, G35 sedan, etc. The TSX's beautiful interior, luxury features all standard, better radio, better mpg, and... I don't even feel like taking the time to list more or get into the G35 which has a questionable interior, but as much power as the LGT stock, just not as much easy mod potential. You guys can make a deal out of comparing it to more expensive luxury brands like Audi and BMW, but I'll compare it to realistic competitors that are specifically the other cars I'm interested in that are in the same price range, such as the two I just mentioned. I just have to see when I test drive the Legacy if I can put up with all the areas it is lacking just for the knowledge that I'll be able to make it nice and quick while still having a real sedan, automatic trans, and AWD for traction and the winter.

I was looking at the 04 Acura TL and the BMW 330xi as well as the Honda Accord 6 cylinder. If the TL had been AWD, then it would have taken the prize, but with all that power and FWD, I did not like to torque steer. On a flat straight road, the TL would still take the Legacy GT, but not in the rain or on the twisties. The Bimmer had a great feel, but for 45K was not a compelling bargain. With the Legacy GT Ltd. I got most of the Luxury Cush stuff, AWD, better acceleration that the Porsche Boxer and great handling and suspension. Its a great value, especially the end of model year when the prices are a little lower.

The TSX is a great car--VERY good looking as far as I'm concerned, and they do have lots of nice standard features and the price is similar. BUT it isn't anywhere near as fast, is fwd, and I'm fairly sure actually gets WORSE mileage (I was considering one once upon a time). I can definitely see somebody going for one, though--like I said, very good looking, lots of nice features (some the GT doesn't have), etc. But some of the acura's have had some issues too--I know when I compared the RSX to my WRX the RSX had wayyyyyy more technical service bulletins and actually wasn't holding its value as well, probably contrary to common perception. Teh deciding factor for me though was more pragmatic since the closest Acura dealer is a couple of hours away, and there are three subaru dealers w/in 45 mins (two less than a half hour). The G35 is nice, but really seems pretty comparable to a GT, yet is $10k more, gets worse mileage (the one guy said he was averaging 15mpg--I average over 25 mpg) and apparently there are some issues w/ uncomfortable seats and such (big thread over on the G35 forum)--nice car, but makes me a bit leery after reading that stuff.

Interesting comments. FWIW, the TSX does get better gas mileage than the Legacy GT or the G35 - it averages around 28-30mpg in the automatic version. The RSX TypeS is a relatively trouble-free car (it's a Honda with a manual transmission and 4-cylinder NA engine, the two things they do best) and would almost certainly have been a fine choice. The automatic non-TypeS should be just as good though I wouldn't get an Acura/Honda with an auto trans after knowing all the issues they tend to have. As for the price, the TSX is cheaper even with navi, but I would be looking at the non-navi model and that's MSRP $27035, and since I know people at the local Acura dealer, I could get it for a bit better price. The TL is aight, I'm just not fond of its styling and it doesn't have great side and rear visibility when driving, so parking lots can be a bit more hassle than I'd want. The 330ci is a sweet-looking car with the sport package and all that but holy heck not for $45k. Ugh BMW are such rip-offs even if they do look and drive nice.

Sure, the TSX gets better gas mileage than the Legacy. It has to have some consolation, being that it runs 0-60 in the mid seven-second range. It's a nice car. A bit bland for my tastes, and no wagon, but the GT sedan is also a bit bland for my tastes. Buy what you dig. Sounds like the TSX gives you all the luxury stuff you want, so there you are. Kevin

[quote name='bemani']I'm finding some annoying things about my GT Ltd wagon, just want to vent, and maybe someone out there has a solution? 2) Even if you turn off climate control, it still sucks air in from the outside. Is there essentially no way to turn off all the vents? 3) Seatbelt chime when you don't buckle in even if the car isn't moving. I'm going to short that wire going to the seatbelt buckle to stop it. I always buckle up when I drive, I don't need the reminder.[/quote] 1) I agree with the air, but I notice it in almost every car I have owned. 2)The way to turn the chime off is buckle and unbuckle you seat belt 6 times within 15 sec. It will turn off the chime until the next time you start the car. The chime noise is a law now, because every state has a seat belt law.

Good to know about the seatbelt chime. My 00 ranger has one too, but it only chimes every 20 seconds or so when you are in gear, and don't have the belt on, and i believe it can be defeated, so that it beeps only at the very beginning, and the light on the dash stays on until you buckle up. quirks, quirks, quirks.... It is a sad testament to the state of the "Nanny State."

Gee, Ken, trust u to be looking under the seats. Whats up with that. Decent point Rimfaxe, where can u put a boost guage on that pilar, have u worked that out yet ? Firedawgs regarding the chime, so doing the seatbelt buckle in and out 6 times will fix it for good so you wont hear the noise again ? Also, is the a noise for leaving yr lights on? If so, is there a way of turning that off as well ?

My biggest gripe is that over time I don't feel like I got all of the horses I paid for. I'm not regretting my decision- it just feels like that sophisticated AWD is eating up a lot of power and that the numbers "lied" to me. Still a great value. and the wagon is a great use of space.

[quote name='"firedawgs"'][quote] 2)The way to turn the chime off is buckle and unbuckle you seat belt 6 times within 15 sec. It will turn off the chime until the next time you start the car. The chime noise is a law now, because every state has a seat belt law.[/quote] It works, I tried it today. Thanks. :D

[quote] 2)The way to turn the chime off is buckle and unbuckle you seat belt 6 times within 15 sec. It will turn off the chime until the next time you start the car. The chime noise is a law now, because every state has a seat belt law.[/quote] It works, I tried it today. Thanks. :D

Another quirk Is the Outback VDC and LLBean "Tire Pressure Monitors" display in the center console, or the dash? Does it say anything in the manual, in the description of the dash indicators? Why on earth would the not be included on the GT, a sporty car? Tire pressures are just as important in high performance tires as they are "off-roading." Can one get the wheel mounted sensors, and have them work? perhaps no-one knows yet. FWIW, Tire Rack questions whether you are getting wheels for the base or limited GT, etc. and one of the reasons it lists, is tire pressure monitors. Maybe it is generic, but it got me thinking...

About the folding and tucking that Ken mentions a few posts back. This is what I discovered over the weekend on the passenger side rear seat headliner. This is after I tucked in some of the edges of the headliner that were sticking out.

I love the car, but I agree there is a bit of sloppiness in some areas. Hopefully this is the worst of it for me, but I haven't gone over the whole car in detail.

drew

headliner.thumb.jpg.79606317d80b75139fbdbe8395cc449c.jpg

with all the electrical features thate we have compiled in this list, is there any chance that Subaru will implement most or all of these in the 06 model year? these all sound like things that other cars do, that the Legacy/Outback should be doing. I think when it becomes comparo time in the automotive press, that is going to be where Legacy/Outback is going to take the hit. (besides maybe outback's braking distances) If subie seriously wants the market share, I think the electrical system needs an upgrade for MY06. Too bad that MY05 doesn't have these things already. I know the car is going a little simpler, and mechanically it still is, but these features seem like minor equipment additions, and mostly circuit design, and computer controls. Thats further development costs, but not much in terms of manufacturing costs, as they wouldn't have to include many new components to do these things. things like: Auto up-down on all windows and sunroof. Available until a door is opened after ignition is off. Perhaps doable from key in driver door, or keyfob. closer matching LEDs in center console, with ECON mode on ClimateCtrl, Tire Pressure sensors and steering wheel audio controls/MP3 on the Legacy and lower Outbacks, etc. Airbag *OFF* instead of saying ON when passenger seat is unoccupied (unless I misunderstood the post on that one...) NAV availability. Aftermarket Stereo kit availability Homelink garage door opener Switchable imperial/metric measurements on trip/temp toggled, rather than momentary cruise power on. Stays on if pressed. And all the other slight niggles that have been documented on these forums. I have a hard enough time believing the Legacy Limiteds going without some of this stuff, let alone the Limited, LLB, and VDC Outbacks, the latter of which are being marketed as even more premium vehicles. Come on Subie, take away the few little complaints. Stop people from saying "Well, but the Acura/Audi/Camry/Ford,etc. has... and this Legacy/Outback doesn't." It'll be a more favorable comparison with competing vehicles, and you'll reap the marketshare! It certainly can't hurt.

I think I misunderstood a post about that. I know the airbag shuts off below a certain weight in the passenger seat, but I was under the impression that a dash light came on saying "Airbag On" If it does indeed say that, and lights when the seat has more than the weight threshold, I am mistaken. If i am not, then why would it not say "off", instead. sorry if I was mistaken.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']I think I misunderstood a post about that. I know the airbag shuts off below a certain weight in the passenger seat, but I was under the impression that a dash light came on saying "Airbag On" If it does indeed say that, and lights when the seat has more than the weight threshold, I am mistaken. If i am not, then why would it not say "off", instead. sorry if I was mistaken.[/quote] It does say "off" unless it senses weight greater than 90 lbs. (I was told 90lbs).

Cool, that makes much more sense. D@mn, I need to see one of these cars up close and personal-like. I have seen a non-GT black sedan ( in the back, next to a black WRX STi) in the showroom, and a AB GT wagon at the dealer, but I haven't actually gotten in one, or driven one yet. the dealer is about 40 miles away, and I haven't had the opportunity to get there during business hours yet.

Archived