LegacyGT.com

Quirks about the Legacy that you don't like.

Love my new GT Ltd. Overall it is an awesome auto and quite surprising in many respects. Gas mileage so far (160 miles) with about 80% city is at 22.5, pretty respectable. BUT, there are a few things that I would like to try and upgrade. Horn: Pretty wimpy! I was following a moron the other day who was consistently 10 mph under the speed limit on back roads, with constant braking whenever a car approached or they came to an intersection. Totally frustrating. They came almost to a stop one time and I laid on the horn. I cringed when I heard it. Sounded like a horn on a girls bike. Any suggestions for an upgrade? Console Storage: I like how each storage compartment has it's own cover and the integration, but there just isn't enough space. It was mentioned earlier about a place for a cell phone. Right now I have the power cord in the center bin and set the phone in the drink holder. Any suggestions? Overall, VERY happy with my choice. Can't wait until the break in is closer so I can really get into it. Hopefully I will be able to do an auto-x or two this fall.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favorite horn upgrade is the Hella supertones (not that I've tried too many differenent ones). Although I haven't been able to find where the horns are on the car yet? :?: They were in front of the radiators on my WRX, I guess they hide if for being unsightly on the Legacy. It sounds like its from around the headlight area, I think I'll pry the plastic skidplate off and see if I can find it when I have the car on jack.

[quote name='Ken S'][quote name='scubie02']guess you should have done what I did and buy off the lot... :P[/quote] No thanks. Every model on the lot at local dealers have been test driven. I'm sure several of them have been redlined within the first 20 miles of it's life (ouch!). The only way to insure that I'm getting a non-abused vehicle was to order one. Ken[/quote] Ken, You better be standing on the dock when the car comes in... because a few boys are going sit in the seat before you do!. My car had nine miles on it when it was delivered on the truck.

I can't understand the horn upgrade.. I can't think of a time that I have ever used my horn for anything. Of course, other than to get a friends attention or to have my lady get her A$$ moving when we are late and I am waiting in the car :lol:

[quote name='whitepdxgtwgn'][quote name='Ken S'][quote name='scubie02']guess you should have done what I did and buy off the lot... :P[/quote] No thanks. Every model on the lot at local dealers have been test driven. I'm sure several of them have been redlined within the first 20 miles of it's life (ouch!). The only way to insure that I'm getting a non-abused vehicle was to order one. Ken[/quote] Ken, You better be standing on the dock when the car comes in... because a few boys are going sit in the seat before you do!. My car had nine miles on it when it was delivered on the truck.[/quote] You'd better be standing at the end of the assembly line and jump in before they put it on the dyno. :lol: sqrl b8

I believe anything below 10 miles at delivery is from the normal assembly, test and delivery process. Nine miles is right on the mark. Every GT I've seen on dealer lots had at least 50 miles on them! I better start camping out by my dealer, LOL! Regarding Hella Supertones -- they are a worthwhile upgrade, albeit a bit pricey. I have them on my Forester and they are LOUD! I'm going to be transfering them to my GT. If you want more of an American car "honk" the Fiamm highway blasters at most auto stores are pretty good. Ken

(I have a RBP GT Sedan) Garden Weasel: I have the exact same problem. I'm wearing size 13's today (normally 14's), and they don't catch nearly as much. Other problems: -I just don't like auto-climate control so far. It seems to me when Auto is not on, you shouldn't have to use the dials for both zones to get cool air. -I'd like a little more gas pedal resistance, since I almost always seem to over-rev the engine (when shifting in particular). -The remote key fob works from too far away and is too easy to accidentally press the buttons. I have to be careful about grabbing my keys at work, since I can literally unlock the doors while sitting in my office (I can see the parking lot from where I am). -It's sometimes hard to get the car into reverse. It seems to be getting easier though (or I'm getting better). -The seatbelt warning chime is annoying. I wear mine, but if I take it off to get out of the car while it's idling (with my wife driving), it shouldn't go off. I swear there are some other minor annoyances, but mostly I'm still not that good at a manual transmission. Before I got the car, I had a few hours' experience. As I get better, I'm loving the car more and more. Probably the best purchase I've ever made, and I can't imagine being happier with a car than I am with the GT.

Just took delivery of a Black Limited wagon last night. Tortured ourselves over wether to get auto or manual tranny and decided to give the slushbox the nod. My don't like list ...So far after 100 miles. The remote door opening bugs me because you can't open all the doors with one command. The sunroof takes three commands to go from full open to full close. The passenger seat really could use a tilt function on the lower portion. Does not feel very comfortable. Was hoping the car had Volvo quality seats. Not enough side bolster on the seats. One touch down for all the windows rather than just the driver's. One touch up would be a good idea too. Fog lights are useless (Had fog last night). The Tires could be more sport oriented. RE 92's give up way too soon on an on ramp. The car has a lot of noise when going over expansion joints. It sounds like I am not happy...far from it. The car drives beautifully. A little bit like my E36 BMW M3. Steering weight is excellent. Suspension calibration is spot on in terms of ride/handling compromise. Headlights are very good. stereo is better than I am used to. Can't wait to floor it when it is broken in. Car has a lightweight feel , which makes it handle nicely. A few of the components would feel nicer to the touch if they were a bit heavier though. If I ordered again, I would skip the sunroof and leather. The sunroof makes wind noise when open, and benefits the passengers more than the driver.

Let's see... -Fuel door and cap are flimsy seeming -glove compartment very small--won't close with much of anything in it -not alot of storage room -not super radar detector friendly -tires of course suck -no auto up on windows, auto up/down should be on both front windows -telescoping steering wheel would be nice but overall I still like it, obviously

[quote name='MtnSub']So, is 0-60 time, relatively low price and a long list of missing or inferior items all that the Leg GT has to offer Audi, Volvo, BMW or VW buyers?[/quote] {Flame suit on} For me it's: performance potential, AWD, and build quality. Period. I loved everything about the WRX STI until I got INSIDE the car.... It doesn't have one ounce of sophistication in the interior and I think the interior is about as nice as a Kia. The Legacy however offers basically the same fantastic engine/drivetrain with an acceptable/classy interior. So that made it my winner. I love the bang for the buck from the Legacy and it feels well built and nimble, but I must admit, if my old 1.8t GTI had Quattro/AWD, I would still choose it hands down for the interior attention-to-detail that the Subaru is so badly lacking (even if the build quality is inferior in the VW).

[quote name='axis008']scubie02, what do you mean by not super radar detector friendly?[/quote] The owners manual says not to plug anything but the lighter into the socket in the ashtray--not that you'd want to really anyway because then you'd have to leave the ashtray open. So then you have to plug it into the center console thing, which is nice in that it has the space to have the cord come out and leave it shut, but then its a pretty long stretch across the middle of the car to get it to the windshield or dash, so you'd really need a long straight cord to reach, which I could have sworn also came w/ my radar detector but I can't find it. W/ the wrx it was just easier I guess. Not really such a huge deal...

[quote name='PPower']You mean it actually has a lighter? It's hard finding a car that actually has one anymore. Most cars just have the power outlets and offer a "smokers package" if anything.[/quote] lol yeah, I was actually surprised, and my salesperson said they thought it was a mistake when they got their forst one in. Although I have to admit it was awhile before I realized the wrx DIDN'T have one and I thought that was kind of cheesy. All of my american cars and my VW came with one...must be a japanese car thing...

Here are a few things I have noticed over the past month (some have been noted before) - - storage close to the driver is limited. You end up using the dinky ashtray for your loose change, tokens, etc.. The dash cubby is just big enough enough for sunglasses (an overhead like the Forester would be nice) and there is no good place for a cellphone or parking lot access cards except the cupholders. A delete option for the entire cigarette lighter assembly to free up some space would be a good idea. - the front cupholders are directly behind the gear shifter so your coffee, bottle of water, etc. is directly in line with your forearm and elbow whhen you are driving. Not as much of an issue with autos, obviously. - there are some issues with the climate control - there are no factory hooks for storage nets in the rear hatch area. I bought side and rear nets for my wagon and installation requires that you drill holes for the hooks that the nets attach to. Tom

[quote name='Yamagacy']An (attempted) anwer: 2) Hit the recirc button. On the recirc setting, it won't draw outside air. Works even when the cc is off, as does the mode button (if the recirc is set to fresh/outside air). [/quote] Hey it works :)

It takes a little bit to get use to the Japanese climate controls. I had to fiddle with the settings in my WRX in order to get it to obey my wishes.. everything is possible though and overall there are a lot more options to get what you want from your climate control with the recirc and fresh air settings.

Okay ninjapimp, the question I posed (“is speed and low price all Leg GT has over BMW/Audi/VW?”) was a bit harsh. Unless I have not looked close enough at the new Leg GT/Ltd, I have a hard time saying that it is not in the same quality range as Audi/VW. I have owned two Audi’s, one very recently (A6 Quattro lux pack) and it had all sorts of interior failures and mechanical problems. I do not expect BMW/Benz interior quality, but I do hope to find VW level interior quality. BTW, my first BMW 325 did not have the great interior that the new 330s have and I loved the car. I know why I am going to buy my first Subaru. IMO, It is the best AWD sport wagon choice I have, under $45k. Volvo V70R is out because of 43 ft. turning ratio. BMW 325ixT is out because BMW will not ship 330 engine to USA. Audi is boring, soft and less of a drivers car. BTW, the Audi S4 Wagon is the only real option over $45k because you can't get an M3 Wagon. I do not want an S4 V8, and I do not want another Audi. I am going to try the new Leg GT/Ltd and I am quite sure I will enjoy the handling, quickness and AWD capability. This board raises reasonable concerns about interior “quality” and missing lux items, but I think the design is very sharp. If I find that the interior quality/feature issues are an overwhelming issue, I will get rid of the car in two years and go back to BMW, if they offer an updated engine and resolve the Bangle design fiasco. Based on gtguy's recent review of his new Leg GT, good chance I will find religion in Subaru.

Racerdave, I know Bangle Bashing is the rage and I do it, but IMO Bangle 7 series great looking and some of his early work was good, but the new 5 series and X3 need to be shot or dressed in a Burka. If the X3 had the 330 sport interior and 3 series exterior ques, I would have never discovered Subaru. Even though I want to leave the SUV format behind, I would have bought that X3. The X3 is a great maching, but it is so ugly and such a ripoff. All that exterior black plastic and front end that looks like unmatched parts from the junk yard. I am not enough of a function only purist to live with that ugly .... Sometimes life forces you to expand your view and experiene new things. Looking forward tasting the Leg GT.

Archived