LegacyGT.com

Review of FMS and other knock-off parts

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too
PW is worth the money, I don't care what anyone says. If you like nice things, it's the tmic to get. (and so might the spearco too)

Does PW cut you a check for all these shameless plugs?

what are the measured, dyno proven gains of the PW?

is the cooling that much better? seems like it's too big

need to modify the splitter. 1/4 of it is directly above the turbo...

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

I don't know where to begin with that utterly retarded reply.

"seems like it's too big", ever wonder why FMIC cores are big and not the same size of a tmic? no? well it's because the longer time air spends rushing through channels of fins that are cooler than that of the air, the less the temperature of the air that comes out.

Second, the internal fin design is obviously important, the only other IC that compares to an STi internal design is the spearco for the STi, and the process west.

The stock STi and the process west are close contenders and the gains are minimal from a recent dyno pre/post install allthingsequal review on NES. I'm not surprised, because the sti tmic is very well built and efficient. The LGT style, not so much to the caliber of the STi internal fin design. My AVO tmic internal fin structure did not compare, and was smaller in size, and get this, attached by metal to the turbo by 2 bolts (we'll get to this later).

So, what have we covered so far?

1. Physical size of core

2. Internal fin design

play the major roles in heat exchange.

Next, we move to, "1/4 of it is directly above the turbo".

It sits HIGHER above the turbo, and further BACK than an AVO/Perrin/IPR heatsink and is also NOT physically connected to the hot turbo. Thus transfer of heat is far less than that of an AVO style.

Next we move to, "seems like it's too big, need to modify the splitter"

is this a serious, human, homosapien-generated statement?

1. the splitter supplied with the LGT PW replaces the entire underhood splitter assembly, so the hood scoop feeds air to the whole tmic. The supplied splitter also has thick sealing molding that, get this, contacts all 4 corners of the ic to create a tight seal. Thus making it's function identical to the stocker in terms of positive pressure into the hoodscoop, negative pressure below the tmic (from the use of undertray), and MORE airflow, which is appropriately distributed amongst the larger core.

tl;dr

1. internal fin design of PW is a staggered back-to-back design like that of the sti tmic, to increase cooling surface area. avo/perrin do not have this setup.

2. the core is bigger than that of a bolt-on heatsink tmic, thus cooling surface area increased.

3. pw tmic sits higher over turbo and further back which leaves room for airflow to reduce heatsoak.

4. pw is not bolted to the hot turbo itself, rather silicon hose which does not transfer heat.

5. splitter is designed to provide flow to the entire core equally with a properly sealed fitment up to the hoodscoop.

6. keeping factory undertray + the fact that there is a 100% even seal around the whole tmic means that physics that subaru intended for the car to use is now reinstated and more effective due to larger splitter and the fact that the whole tmic is getting air, and not just the center.

7. review 8th grade physics book.

so where is yours then?

you should be a salesman not a male nurse

dyno proven gains?

tl;dr

just because you say so doesn't mean we care

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

hows the e-tuning business going anyway?

and yes, I do not know what I am talking about

funny how all the guys who blown up these cars are all on the same

team when it comes to flaming the n00bs

when we ask questions, it's because we don't know

you don't have to be a dick about it

• I Donated
funny how all the guys who blown up these cars are all on the same

team when it comes to flaming the n00bs

when we ask questions, it's because we don't know

you don't have to be a dick about it

We're on the same team here because the Process West TMIC is definitively a better design and has better construction than all but a couple of the TMICs out there. And if you don't want people to question your intelligence, don't say something like "is the cooling that much better? seems like it's too big."

• I Donated
It actually is kind of a pain to work around in the engine bay because of its size. That's really my only complaint. Of course, I had an FMIC before it, so I was used to easy access in that part of the bay.

• I Donated
Since the pw tmic is so big. Do you worry about the amount of soap that gets on it?

Dude, like you wouldn't believe. It's like twice as easy to get soap on it.

what i did like about it, is it took 1min to pull off. i never bolted the underneath bolt in, thing still sat centered and didn't budge. 2 hose clamps and 1 12mm top bolt and its off.

That hose clamp on the side with the TB is a total pain to deal with, though. Plus I have to pull out the pliers to take off the BPV hose. I end up just trying to work around it because I'm lazy, and cursing a lot.

Archived