LegacyGT.com

Post your .... Ideas

cfaber

Use Carbon recycling techniques coupled with nuclear energy as an energy input to create a close to endless supply of hydrocarbons. This then can be turned into petroleum and we would close the carbon loop for good, ending our fears of global warming and giving us limitless supplies of gasoline.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2011/08/110811-turning-carbon-emissions-into-fuel/

Nuclear > Solar for this because of the reliability issues inherent in solar energy.

Add breeder reactors to the mix and we would be producing a lot of nuclear fuel along the way to be used to create more petroleum.

Or turn the Sahara Desert into a giant solar farm which would create energy inputs in order to supply the carbon recycling process.

Of course this would take billions of dollars to do.... but this is an investment to save the earth and the way of life as we know it since natural supplies of oil is not going to last forever.

This would also allow us to keep producing petrol engines without throwing away a hundred years of technological advances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engineer multistory buildings made to farm crops indoors by using LED lights as a substitute to the Sun, this way we can grow crops where ever we need them to grow instead of wasting valuable time and energy shipping it from across the world.

This also promotes a very efficient use of space by stacking farmland inside a building...

• 2 weeks later...

Double jointed jaw implants for flip top heads for easier brushing of the back teeth.

Strawberries that are crossed with banana that taste like strawberry-banana and have their own peel you dont have to eat (pesticide and transportation resistant). Lets face it, everyone knows the best flavor yogurt is strawberry-banana.

Dogs bred to be very broad and have a very steady pace so you can use them as mobile drink stand/beer delivery service.

course this would take GAZillions of dollars to do...

fixed

@LALGT

It's not like your country hasn't spent billions of dollars fighting unnecessary wars lol :p.

And its not like we don't spend billions of dollars surveying the ocean and building offshore oil rigs that sometimes blow up and leave an oil slick the size of a country.

I don't understand how people say 'it costs this and costs that' but never look at the true cost of that product, we never look at how making and using that product will impact the future.

We make paper for a fraction of a cent per page, but never the true cost of the ecological footprint and damage left behind by making that piece of paper that would end up as a label on a plastic bottle that will be discarded within minutes of consumption.

Sure it might cost a bazillion dollars, but if we make petroleum a sustainable source of energy, we will leave a better planet for our descendants.

@LALGT

It's not like your country hasn't spent GAZillions of dollars fighting unnecessary wars lol :p.

Fixed.

And its not like we don't spend billions of dollars surveying the ocean and building offshore oil rigs that sometimes blow up and leave an oil slick the size of a country.

Billions not relevant when trillions are made in profit.

@I don't understand how people say 'it costs this and costs that' but never look at the true cost of that product, we never look at how making and using that product will impact the future.

Seriously? You don't understand? Its pretty obvious how globalization, consumer entitlement and capitalistic greed could create such a environment. Enjoying the dramatic weather change?

@We make paper for a fraction of a cent per page, but never the true cost of the ecological footprint and damage left behind by making that piece of paper that would end up as a label on a plastic bottle that will be discarded within minutes of consumption.

So whats your idea?:lol:

@ LALGT.

Agreed on all accounts, I do understand and I was asking a rhetorical question.

What's my idea? Really the human race will not consider doing things for the greater good of this planet as a whole unless there is an economic incentive to, there is no one idea that will fix the world unless you start charging for ecological damage, carbon tax is a viable solution on paper but it will never work out in the real world.

The human race will not to anything drastic unless shit really hits the fan and by the time we start to do try and fix things we will be in a huge shithole by then.

And no, there was literally less than 10 days of snow during this entire winter season, no winter lapping = no fun.

Ironically, when one looks at USSR in its communist days, the engineering mindset was incredibly different from that of capitalistic countries.

Nylon was so strong when it was first created that it could be used as a tow strap, DuPont thought it was too strong and they dumbed the formula down so that women would keep tearing their Nylon stockings and buy more.

On the other hand, I remember hearing about a refrigerator owned by a man in the USSR which was working for 25 years and he did not have to change a lightbulb inside it nor did it have an inkling of rust.

(See the documentary Lightbulb Conspiracy)

Capitalism gave birth to planned obsolescence and it has morphed into the consumerist society we have today...

Not that I am not part of it, but I do try my best to reduce waste as much as possible like DIY fixing things instead of throwing them away.

Humans as a race is too primitive really, the way I see it, our ancestors were greedy because food was scarce, today, money buys you food so money = food, and thus we have greed.

deltasniper, i agree with your viewpoints as well. it's a shame that capitalism has driven civilization into the consumerism cycle we have now.

i did also like the idea of vertical farms. not even in office spaces, but above big box stores etc; imo they constitute some of the most illogical use of land area at the moment. although some are now implementing solar panels on their roofs for A/C now in certain areas of the US, but there's so much potential for that space still.

Katalyst, I find it an incredible shame really, we as a race have made technologies so incredible and so world changing, but many are unused, put on the shelf (GM's EV1 anyone?) or dumbed down due to outright greed and disregard for the planets well-being.

Imagine what the USA could have done instead of sucking the Middle East's dick for oil (and invading them in some cases) and invested those funds for the push to make oil renewable.

Too many people in important positions of power/funding are short sighted, that will yet be another cause for an economic meltdown when oil prices get so high that inflation will skyrocket.

on that subject, i'd recommend a book "republic, lost" by lawrence lessig. i think you would find that interesting.

on a smaller scale, i also find it disheartening that many products these days are just made for bottom dollar and even brands that once were regarded as offering quality products are no longer doing so.

anyway, we're totally derailing the thread. haha

Sure it might cost a bazillion dollars, but if we make petroleum a sustainable source of energy, we will leave a better planet for our descendants.

No it wont.

Petroleum makes things easy. Show the risk of making things more difficult, and it stirs interest in alternatives. That means pushing the technology and engineering envelopes, understanding cuts, and understanding that things need to change.

Running out of petroleum is not the only problem this world faces, and I'd suggest it as being one of relatively small consequence compared to some of the other problems in the world.

The idea of nuclear power to run this system is good, but consider the fallout from it. What do you do with fuel rods no longer capable of being used for power generation, but are still impossible to be exposed to? Bury them? What about ground water contamination? What about contamination of water from the excessive use of petroleum?

Water is the most valuable resource on the planet, not petroleum. Period.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Being the driving force of today's world, I would really consider petroleum to be one of the key problems of today. It makes things easier because we have been doing it for years, but I really dont see a good alternative for petroleum as a transportation energy source. Batteries are heavily damaging to the environment, hydrogen power is too unstable etc etc.

And really, the main selling point of turning petroleum into a renewable energy source is to close the carbon loop, which would reverse man made climate change.

But yes you are right, I dont think its the biggest problem, I would say overpopulation would be it.

Well said on the water part, fully agreed there, but in regards to nuclear fallout, if thorium based reactors mature enough to become a viable alternative to uranium based reactors, thorium is much less radioactive and easier to handle versus uranium.

While its not completely safe, thorium only emits alpha radioactive, which means it has to be ingested to do damage to the human body. Which is magnitudes safer than uranium.

Nuclear contamination I would say is easily avoidable if you buried them in a place without groundwater. There will always be a risk of nuclear contamination and that would be the cost of 'paying to play'

Start a company that buys life buys life insurance for the very elderly. Have the elderly person be contractually obligated to leave the company 75% of the life insurance payout when they die, the remaining 25% goes to thier estate.

Alot of capital upfront for the monthly premiums, but at some point you will start making money.

• 1 month later...
A car insurance company that after 5 years of clean driving,(i.e. no accidents, no traffic infractions, tickets included) That would give you a check for 1/2 of your premium paid over those 5 years. It would reset again after you reinlist.

A car insurance company that after 5 years of clean driving,(i.e. no accidents, no traffic infractions, tickets included) That would give you a check for 1/2 of your premium paid over those 5 years. It would reset again after you reinlist.

They already do something very similar to that, exception premium is slashed up front and it's not retro. There's also member-owned self-insurance alternatives that will cut you a dividend based on the fund's overall performance.

Require mastery of high performance driving on variable surfaces for drivers license exams. Continue to raise the bar until there is at least a 40% washout rate on the first try.

Require mastery of high performance driving on variable surfaces for drivers license exams. Continue to raise the bar until there is at least a 40% washout rate on the first try.

So AWESOME I'll be happy to PAY to do that for fun!!!

• Mega Users

My good idea?

1. open tax free healthcare spending account (some companies will give employees a nice chunk of money for this account)

2. get prescription for marijuana (if legal in your state)

3. buy asston of weed with healthcare spending account

4. smoke tax free (and in some cases employer paid for) buds.

5. Profit?!!?

Archived