LegacyGT.com

Going through rear tires like its my job?

Quick question. I use my 05 LGT wagon for work and prob carry about 150lbs in tools and parts in the back. That being said I have gone through at least 2 sets of rear tires in the time that I havent had to touch my fronts? They are wearing evenly so it doesn't seem to be an alignment issue(car is regularly aligned anyway). I have replaced my rear shocks (but not the springs) Also i have a headlight out its not the bulb (I've changed it) the high beam works??????:confused::confused::confused: anyone Pleease help.. but seriously any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Mega Users

You should be rotating your tires!

My guess is that you are dealing with the rear end squatting from the weight in back. That will change camber and toe and could easily eat up your rear tires. If that's how you normally drive, then I'd put 100lbs or so in back and get it aligned.

You should be rotating your tires!

My guess is that you are dealing with the rear end squatting from the weight in back. That will change camber and toe and could easily eat up your rear tires. If that's how you normally drive, then I'd put 100lbs or so in back and get it aligned.

For some reason that did not cross my mind, guess I'm not thinking:lol:... I know I would suggest getting an alignment w/ the weight...

OP who said your tires are wearing evenly?

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

That makes sense. Now that I think about it.. The past few times its been aligned was after it had been in the shop for other reasons so my stuff was not in the car. As far as the bulb goes I put in new ones same issue

05 lgt isn't a dual filliment bulb unless its differet than an 07... There is a H7 low and 9005 high beam...

I would say take the cap off the Projector part and check the ground wire and also check the main power wire to ensure they are hooked up well to both where the harness plug connects to the headlight housing and where they connect to the bulb and ground pin. I had a bad ground wire on my wifes impreza once and it kept blowing out bulbs, been fine since I changed the connector.

05 lgt isn't a dual filliment bulb unless its differet than an 07... There is a H7 low and 9005 high beam...

I would say take the cap off the Projector part and check the ground wire and also check the main power wire to ensure they are hooked up well to both where the harness plug connects to the headlight housing and where they connect to the bulb and ground pin. I had a bad ground wire on my wifes impreza once and it kept blowing out bulbs, been fine since I changed the connector.

^this

^ if so, not good for the differentials (your sentence may be confusing. I am sure you mean one pair of tires--at least that's what I understood).

Yeah what he said. OP - Are you replacing just 2 tires or all 4 tires when the rear ones go bald?

Seabass is on the money, have it aligned with the weight in the car. Technically, you should have about 175#'s in the driver seat when you align a car........more if the operator is very large.

I'd like to see pictures of the said worn out tires.

I have this problem going on right now. My rear outer edges are cupped very badly. I rotate my tires every oil change so all my tires are damaged.

I found that the rear lateral link bar bushings are shot. It is hard to see the rubber but they are completely shot. I have had squeaking in the back for a little bit of time but I just found the bushing problem the other night. I had assumed it was a squeaking shock mount.

Sucks.... Check out your bushings up near the rear differential as well as the bottom of the rear knuckle.

One pair at a time. So I've replaced the rears 2 or 3 times. The fronts have been fine. Mine are wearing somewhat evenly but from the inside out. I am running conti procontacts 225/45s.

For everyone yelling at him for doing one pair at a time I think the size variation when he has bald ones on the rear is worse than when he puts new tires on there and leaves the fronts alone. Also depending on where the weight is positioned it will greatly change the geometry of the rear tires when loaded up.

Bring it to the alignment shop empty, have them rack it up and see what the readings are then load the car and see what it does... That will help you understand what is happening more.

Thank you everyone. I'm going to a reputable alignment shop and pick their brain. As far as replacing all 4 tires though the fronts are still fine so I wouldn't spend the money to replace anything that absolutely didn't need to be replaced. This is my 2nd LGT so i realize the importance of the tires and how it rides like crap if anything is off thats is what is so confusing. It feels fine then I drive in a 1/2in of snow and its all over the place and I realize I've gone though a set of rears(at 1st anyway) now I check regularly. Headlight issues all set I'll chalk that one up to my undiagnosed A D D and me changiing my hi beam rather than my headlight even though I've changed my headlights a 1/2 dozen times.

IIRC, you not to have more then 5/32", difference in tread depth between tires. Sense most new car tires are 10/32" to 11/32" tread depth when new. You will but a lot of stress on you center diff. running one (front or rear) set bald an the other set with more then half it tread left.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

But do you understand that you are damaging your center diff by letting the rear tires go bald without rotating?

I guess your missing the fact that they are balding so fast he would have to rotate his tires ever 1000 miles... I'm willing to bet he is trying to keep up on a 10k rotation interval but he's just not making it that far with the issue he has... Also if he was just rotating his tires then he would still be killing tires at the same speed but now all 4 rather than two... I think that's just doubling the cost of the problem and fixing nothing about it, doesn't really sound like a valid solution.

Rather than scalding the OP for the possibility of damaging the center diff HELP HIM FIX HIS DAMN ALIGNMENT ISSUE!

I'm sure he is 100% aware that the balding of the rear tires is NOT healthy for the trans and probably one of the main reasons why he wants this fixed as well as the inconvenience of having to replace 2 tires so soon.

So many times I see someone post with an issue on here and rather than help him fix it everyone has to point out all the negative things that may happen if the issue stays the way it is. I'm sure they are aware of those repercussions which is why they want the issue resolved

• Mega Users
I guess your missing the fact that they are balding so fast he would have to rotate his tires ever 1000 miles... I'm willing to bet he is trying to keep up on a 10k rotation interval but he's just not making it that far with the issue he has... Also if he was just rotating his tires then he would still be killing tires at the same speed but now all 4 rather than two... I think that's just doubling the cost of the problem and fixing nothing about it, doesn't really sound like a valid solution.

Rather than scalding the OP for the possibility of damaging the center diff HELP HIM FIX HIS DAMN ALIGNMENT ISSUE!

I'm sure he is 100% aware that the balding of the rear tires is NOT healthy for the trans and probably one of the main reasons why he wants this fixed as well as the inconvenience of having to replace 2 tires so soon.

So many times I see someone post with an issue on here and rather than help him fix it everyone has to point out all the negative things that may happen if the issue stays the way it is. I'm sure they are aware of those repercussions which is why they want the issue resolved

I certainly did not throw boiling water on him. :lol: He's gone through two sets of rear tires without rotating. I did attempt to help him, a couple times in this thread. But he did not recognize that he was damaging his differential. Did you read my first bit of advice? It was to put some weight in back and get an alignment. But some people think 1/4" in diameter is ok for the diff. If you don't mind premature failure, then go for it. I'm just trying to get him to understand what he is doing by letting only two tires wear out.

Before you start a rant, you might want to read a bit more of the replies.

Archived