LegacyGT.com

Under $6K track star?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the op is near a kart track, he could get an awesome used racing kart for well under 6k. And maintenance will be far cheaper compared to a BMW track car. However, if there are no good kart tracks near you, a cheap track car might be better.

Rotax karts are da bomb, as previously noted.

http://www.mrpmotorsport.com/

Ohhh big +1 to shifter kart. I've never driven one (just regular karts) but they look stupidly fun.

Main downside is - and please correct me if I'm wrong - they take a motorcycle-style approach to safety. I.e. your best hope is to be thrown free of the wreckage. I'd guess that wrecks are at least much less frequent with shifter karts than motorcycles.

A 125cc shifter kart has about 40-50 hp depending on how it's tuned. I have tried them after a full season of a kart with 25 hp and they are a beast of a different color. I had raced 15 or so times that year, thought my neck was strong and my other muscles could handle it. They are not for the casual user if you don't want to be in pain for a week after their use. You can be in otherwise great shape but a 125 will beat the sh*t out of you easily. They are also stupid fast. If you are a more balls than brain type, stay away and get a lesser kart like a 28 hp rotax. They have two gears and are still stupid fast but they are well within most folks envelope. Going right to a 125 is like jumping into a a GP2 car for your first race car.

Are the old MR2's bigger inside than the 3rd gen? I tried to drive a 3rd gen once and could not get the steering wheel out of my lap.

Yes. Im 6'1 and had plenty of room to spare in mine. totally different than a third gen in all the right ways.

I don't understand the OP's aversion to Miatas. Any other choice for a cheap track car is a merely an attempt to be different for the sake of being different. For a non-Miata track car under $6K, I'd probably look for an S13 or S14 Nissan 240SX, an AE86 Corolla GT-S, Porsche 914, or a Datsun 510.

I don't understand the OP's aversion to Miatas. Any other choice for a cheap track car is a merely an attempt to be different for the sake of being different. For a non-Miata track car under $6K, I'd probably look for an S13 or S14 Nissan 240SX, an AE86 Corolla GT-S, Porsche 914, or a Datsun 510.

Because he doesn't want a miata. I would never own a miata myself.

It is funny to hear people say they would never own a miata, untill you get passed by a miata on a road course manytimes and then you say, "wow i should be in a miata". Flying Miata is here in Grand Junction/Palisade colorado and we race with them all the time. They are doing some cool stuff like ls1-3 swaps in them.

*sigh*

I have no problem with Miatas. Hell if I had a spare 6K I would already own one. The reason why I exclude them is that they seem to be THE go to cheap track car. Every time the topic is brought up it goes straight to a Miata. I wanted to hear about what else you guys liked such as go karts, first gen RX7s, MR2s, etc.

It is funny to hear people say they would never own a miata, untill you get passed by a miata on a road course manytimes and then you say, "wow i should be in a miata". Flying Miata is here in Grand Junction/Palisade colorado and we race with them all the time. They are doing some cool stuff like ls1-3 swaps in them.

Nope, would never say that. A miata could pass my in my c5 on a road course or on the freeway doing 160mph and I would still rather be in my c5.

I have lost drag races to built civics and never once said I should get a civic. I get what I like for my own reasons.

*sigh*

I have no problem with Miatas. Hell if I had a spare 6K I would already own one. The reason why I exclude them is that they seem to be THE go to cheap track car. Every time the topic is brought up it goes straight to a Miata. I wanted to hear about what else you guys liked such as go karts, first gen RX7s, MR2s, etc.

Understood, but realize that most other options will likely be in poorer condition, more difficult to locate, and/or less desirable as a track car. $3K first-generation Miatas in good condition with relatively low mileage are a dime a dozen, whereas most other inexpensive potential track cars are either too expensive, hard to find, in bad shape, and/or have been the victim of juvenile modifications. I sympathize with your desire to have something other than a Miata as a track car. I'd rather be driving a vintage Datsun 510 2-door around the track, but it would likely cost me far more to build one of those than a Miata that could run rings around it.

Another car I forgot to list is a Porsche 924 or 944. Those are pretty affordable and handle great with the rear transaxle.

Are the old MR2's bigger inside than the 3rd gen? I tried to drive a 3rd gen once and could not get the steering wheel out of my lap.

Lose some weight, Fatty!

Just kidding of course. I have the same problem in a Honda S2000. I'm too big for it. I drove and rode passenger once in my best friend's S2000 in all the years he owned it.:mad:

Another car I forgot to list is a Porsche 924 or 944. Those are pretty affordable and handle great with the rear transaxle.

I had a 2.0l slant four 77 924 I picked up woth a solid body, not running, for 350$. It had a dogleg 5 speed and for 900$ total I had a fantastic car. I ended up doing an edelbrock 2 barrel carbon conversion on it and it started screaming from there on out. 30+ years old and out handled my 99 gf4 with near nothing left stock on the suspension.

I now have a 77 Celica Gt coupe that should be on the road this summer pending I can find a windshield :)

Lose some weight, Fatty!

Just kidding of course. I have the same problem in a Honda S2000. I'm too big for it. I drove and rode passenger once in my best friend's S2000 in all the years he owned it.:mad:

I'm tall and skinny. Kinda like a 4/3rds scale Japanese dude. :D

I really, really need to drive an S2000 sometime. They're supposed to be super fun (if a bit sketchy with snap-oversteer). They look bigger than a Miata on the outside but now I'm wondering if they have any more interior room. I don't fit in a Miata with a normal seat, nor with a typical cage if it's set up as a track car.

So much for me getting an S2000 some day.

Sounds like if you want a small, light sports car you should skip the cheap stuff and go straight to an Elise. They're pretty snug but I do fit, including with a helmet on. Only thing is there's no room for sneakers in the footwell. I have to drive barefoot if I'm not wearing my Five Fingers.

Are you afraid men might think you have a vagina becz you're insecure?

Lol no, I just do not like miatas, there size or the way the way they look. I do not like there weak little engines. I have 4 cars right now and I usually daily drive my 98 lincoln town car...... that has hood pins in the hood lol. People probably think oh shit look at this ghetto mofo.

Archived