LegacyGT.com

Under $6K track star?

I tried digging through the history because I vaguely remember a similar thread long ago, but this subforum apparently has 80 pages worth of topics and typing in "track" or "under 5000" seemed like bad search options.

I do feel like adding one exclusion though.

It can't be a Miata.

They're great cars for sure, which is part of the problem. I hear this recommendation all the time.

I was curious if that was off the table, what you guys would pick as a dry track star.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For $6k you can build a lemon and go racing. Just a thought.

Otherwise the cheapest way to get a track rat will be to buy one. Building one yourself will be more expensive. Spec racers regularly get sold in near turn-key condition for much less than they cost to build. They could make a great track day car that could even be transitioned into real racing.

Do you care about street legality at all? E.g. will you tow it to the track? If you'll drive it to the track, will that be the only street driving it sees? (If "no" to both then it's not a track rat.)

$6k?

V8 swapped E30.

You can buy a roller for under $1000, an running Fox Body 5.0 for $1200 or so, and all the swap bits for under $600. Another $1000 will get you up to the 400hp mark.

400hp E30 for under $3k leaves you plenty of cash left over for suspension, tires, and bushings.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

$6k?

V8 swapped E30.

You can buy a roller for under $1000, an running Fox Body 5.0 for $1200 or so, and all the swap bits for under $600. Another $1000 will get you up to the 400hp mark.

400hp E30 for under $3k leaves you plenty of cash left over for suspension, tires, and bushings.

Well its def gonna cost more than 600 for swap parts(custom length drive shaft alone will be 300 minimum) but you could def get a e30 swapped with a 5.0 mustang engine for under 6k no problem.

You use the stock E30 driveshaft with some modification.

details here: http://www.e30v8.com/

I know... you do in most swaps, but you usually have to cut and weld the shaft in most cases and most shops charge around 300 dollars to do that modification. What modification to the shaft does this swap require?

I like how that site claims ls1 drivetrain costs 5,000 or more... you can get a engine, trans, ecu and accessories for 2k-2500 these days.

BMW has some good inline 6s, idk if the 5.0 would be any better. I mean it only makes 225 crank hp stock, cammed with heads they have a hard time making 280whp on mustang dynos. And once you start running high rpms and 600hp the lifter valleys begin to crack.

You can definitely do an E30 5.0 swap for under $3k if you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and are handy with a welder.

It's a swap SLA and I talked about a little bit. It's as perfect a "Project V8 Swap Car" as it gets.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I know... you do in most swaps, but you usually have to cut and weld the shaft in most cases and most shops charge around 300 dollars to do that modification. What modification to the shaft does this swap require?

Basically what you said

I like how that site claims ls1 drivetrain costs 5,000 or more... you can get a engine, trans, ecu and accessories for 2k-2500 these days.

BMW has some good inline 6s, idk if the 5.0 would be any better. I mean it only makes 225 crank hp stock, cammed with heads they have a hard time making 280whp on mustang dynos. And once you start running high rpms and 600hp the lifter valleys begin to crack.

350 - 400chp would be more than enough for the E30...at least for my tastes

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0910_building_400hp_into_a_5_0_l_small_block_engine/viewall.html

Whereabouts?

The reason they say $5000, is that the most popular "package" for BMW LS swaps is from the various model years of GTO. Obviously, the 6.0L LS2 is the most desireable, and a dropout from those typically go for around $5k. The swap bits for the LS into the E30 is in the $1200-$1500 range plus some extra.

A 400hp E30 would be plenty sufficient. If you want more, put an LS in it.

Whereabouts?

The reason they say $5000, is that the most popular "package" for BMW LS swaps is from the various model years of GTO. Obviously, the 6.0L LS2 is the most desireable, and a dropout from those typically go for around $5k. The swap bits for the LS into the E30 is in the $1200-$1500 range plus some extra.

A 400hp E30 would be plenty sufficient. If you want more, put an LS in it.

Of course if you want to get into your own fabrication and welding it is cheaper, it means you do not have to buy the kit, you can weld up your own mounts, headers, shaft.

I agree a e30 with 400hp would be more than enough. I only mentioned 600hp because that is where the 5.0 block becomes weak. My point was that the 5.0 is not the best v8 for making power, the good thing is obviously its cheap. But my question was can't some of the BMW inline 6s make 250-300whp with mods instead of swapping over an entire 5.0?

As for where to get a ls1 for cheap just look around, go on craigslist, performance shops, car forums. I have seen ls1 engines with wiring harness and access go for 1500 many times. These engines are getting cheaper and cheaper. Hell you can buy an entire 98-02 camaro, formula or trans am for 5,000 these days.

Lots of the BMW engines can make 300whp with turbocharging, but that is obviously somewhat more dangerous and less reliable than running a relatively low compression big V8 Naturally aspirated. For a car you want to beat on without letting up, big V8's have some level of peace of mind built in.

Plus, it's a V8 in an E30. That's cool however you slice it up.

Good call on the LS. I was just looking on ebay for low mile GTO dropouts.

I would just buy a foxbody with a 5.0.

Cheap, easy power, well balanced with a gigantic aftermarket.

Or a mk1 mr2. Cheap, great handling right out of the box and for not that many monies you can make them pretty quick.

Archived