LegacyGT.com

ACT out.. CM FX300 in...Um, WOW!!

Is that what the notorious clutch chatter everyone complains about is? I always figured clutch chatter was a noise, so didn't think I had any. If it's the kind of annoying choppiness you get from a rough start then hooray -- I have tons. I always assumed that was just me sucking with a clutch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that what the notorious clutch chatter everyone complains about is? I always figured clutch chatter was a noise, so didn't think I had any. If it's the kind of annoying choppiness you get from a rough start then hooray -- I have tons. I always assumed that was just me sucking with a clutch.

I think that is clutch chatter. Decel chatter (from lightened flywheels) is definitely a noise and not vibrations. I have both, and both basically go away the more spirited I drive. She must like it rough.

Agreed. I actually switched from a ACT 6-Puck w/ LWFW, to the FX300 + Sti OEM, and the pedal feel is obviously night and day, however the deceleration chatter wasn't as significant as I'd hoped. It's still fairly loud in every gear when I both rev the trans, or on decel. Wonder if I'm just an anomaly.

But the 300 just seems like overkill. There's no reason to use more clutch than you need. Ever.

That said, I don't want to guinea pig the 200 unless CM wants to give me one for free to report on.

Looks like I'll just got ACT... installed correctly, of course.

Why the negativity toward the 300. It's a great clutch that has shown OEM engagement wtih aftermarket holding power.

I've told you before, and I'll tell you again. Your welcome to try mine out, and make the choice based off of personal expierence.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Lol, no negativity towards it. It just seems like a lot of clutch for your average owner. I see a lot of people defaulting to the 300 when the 200 should, in every respect, be a more appropriate clutch (it'll be smoother and longer lasting).

I will take you up on a test drive one day. Finding the time, however, is more difficult than it might seem :(

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Clearly your throw-out bearing was either not spinning or it was installed wrong causing metal-on-metal grinding against the clutch. This is an install problem, not an ACT problem. Clutch failures within 600 miles is certainly indicative of improper installation.

I unfortunately agree.

Was everything lubricated prior to being reinstalled? I have grease covering my tranny snout and TSK sleeve so the bearing slides freely. Also, did you notice any noise when the ACT was installed?

Everything was lubricated and the ACT wasn't noisy. Just super, ridiculously heavy. Really hard to drive. Engagement was at the very top of the pedal.

You say you have an ACT LWFW. How does that compare to the stock WRX FW that many LGT'ers use? If it's lighter, do you have any drivability issues...stalling...high revving from stops,

etc?

Ok, so here it is. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with my LWFW and driveability. During shift, I have no problem with the dropping of the rpm's. It drops a TINY bit quicker, but not nearly enough to bother driveability. Effect on the rev's are a bit more noticeable, but again not bothersome at all. I've no problem starting off smooth or shifting smooth. The clutch feels literally smoother than stock and the flywheel is perfect for me. I could not possibly be happier with the feel.

LWFW's stink.

That failure is definitely an install error.

I wish I knew why people weren't buying the FX200.

The price just wasn't that much lower. And the guy I talked to at CM said he'd had both in his WRX and preferred the fx300. Also talked to a shop owner on another forum who said he hasn't had good luck with the fx200 in cars with close to 300hp. Said he's never had issue one with the fx300. Plus, I'm considering shooting for the 375-400hp range, so..

Somehow I suspect you could make that CM thing happen -- probably not free, but certainly a discount for providing a review to the community.

i have had a very similar exp. as the op. but im still on my act waiting on it to die and swap my fx300 in.. thank you for your exp. now i know that i'll be fine just reusing the act lwfw.

did u get yours resurfaced?

I did get mine resurfaced. I'm telling you right now.. You are gonna lose your shit when you drive your car after the fx300 is installed. I had the ACT and I have a buddy with a specB with the ACT (and his has lasted, unlike mine). My ACT felt just like his, and they feel TERRIBLE! Heaviest pedal feel on any clutch I've ever used. I was gonna go with a WRX flywheel when I put the fx300 in, but I actually talked to a guy at Clutchmasters who said the ACT LWFW works great with the fx300.

Why the negativity toward the 300. It's a great clutch that has shown OEM engagement wtih aftermarket holding power.

I've told you before, and I'll tell you again. Your welcome to try mine out, and make the choice based off of personal expierence.

EXACTLY! I'm in NC, near Charlotte. If anybody wants to try mine out, feel free. Seriously.

So the ACT is shipped. No telling how long all this will take and what, if anything, will happen in the end. It sounds to me like most of you guys are leaning toward the installer error side. Sounds like it to me too. Wish that wasn't the case. I've put about 1000 miles on my fx300, and it just keeps getting smoother...

Your clutch did not feel stock at all, so I wouldn't put too much thought in to it. Of course, not sure why it would have been changed from stock based on what you said. :spin:

what fly wheel is everyone running with the FX300?

I think most of us are running with the 06+wrx smfw. At least I am and have read of this combo many times on this board.

Be prepared for a light clutch pedal after the install of the cm300. Mine felt so light and easy to push that I stalled the car trying to drive away. Took about a week and the pedal was back to normal feel.

Yeah. The first time I drove my car I was regretting the clutch immensely. I can't stand driving cars with NO clutch feel. After a week or so, it did return to stock-ish pressure levels and I was satisfied.

How long do the fx300's typically last?

Haven't seen any long term results yet. I saw this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clutchmasters-fx300-long-term-reviewsi-169845.html?t=169845&highlight=long+term

but even that doesn't have a lot of 'long term' reviews

• 1 month later...
Funny Mas....I was stoked to see a new reply because I was following it. It's almost time to put a new clutch in the OBXT and I am trying to decide between an ACT (I've installed 3 of them on other LGT's), for the FX200/300. So many clutches, so little time.

My ACT clutch started giving out after 135,000 miles and the pedal feels different than when clutches usually start to slip and let go. I'm curious how the broken fingers feel so I know what to expect when I do the clutch job.

I'm in a similar boat, trying to choose between the 200 and 300, Citka. I think I'm going to go with the 200, and if I don't like it then I can swap the disc out for the 300. The pressure plates are the same I think.

The problem is, finding out information about the 200. Even CM recommends the 300, but no one can say WHY. It's very stupid.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm in a similar boat, trying to choose between the 200 and 300, Citka. I think I'm going to go with the 200, and if I don't like it then I can swap the disc out for the 300. The pressure plates are the same I think.

The problem is, finding out information about the 200. Even CM recommends the 300, but no one can say WHY. It's very stupid.

Have you called CM to ask a sales representative? Sometimes to get answers you just need to talk to the source instead of beating around the bush...

Even CM recommends the 300, but no one can say WHY.

Yes, I called. They recommend the 300, but can't say why.

Yes, I called. They recommend the 300, but can't say why.

That is purely retarded. The 300 costs more right? I am almost willing to bet that the reason they are not able to say why is due to manager overhead pushing for 300 sales...

Archived