LegacyGT.com

Subaru Advanced Tourer Concept - Preview of the Next Generation Legacy!!

oddseth

...well it looks interesting, I'm not convinced it's a Legacy replacement as the BM/BR are only 3-years into production and it was my understanding that Subaru generally uses a 5-year model. It also looks a littler smaller than a Legacy replacement would need to be, perhaps it's a glimpse into the future of the WRX/STI models now that those have been separated from the Impreza line. Perhaps it's something new altogether like the Exiga was.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's actually not that bad - I think that what's worse is the lower edge of the rear gate - that has a lot more impact on the rear visibility. No problems to use the mirrors otherwise. I have more problems with the rounded shape of the rear end of the car, no good fix-point when backing up against another car doing parallel parking or against a wall.

As for the strengthening - also think about crashing into a big animal - as this demonstration video shows:

If the roof folds too much then it's really bad. At least the passengers do have a better chance then.

Yes, I know roof strength is just as important. I made a note of that in my previous post saying "but there always is for roll overs from other different reasons" and taking into consideration there always is a reason to strengthen the roof formation. Using the C and D pillars to add to style and "roof strength" though reminds me of how Infiniti thinks the FX rear seats are safe and "comfortable."

Comfortable rear seats - that's a rare condition. :D

At least one of the good things on the 5th gen wagon - ample leg room in the rear seat and adjustable recline on the backrest.

When they made the Tribeca with the U.S. in mind they should have increased the overall vehicle size to accommodate the same amount of leg room for the second row for a 7-passenger that a 5-passenger Tribeca has. I'd much rather have ample leg room for my passengers (which I rarely carry but when I do...) than more cargo room. I can always fold them down if I want the cargo room back anyways.

If you're not carrying 3rd-row passengers, the 2nd row gets exactly the same legroom as the 5-pass legroom. The trouble starts when actually using the 3rd row. I completely agree that, with the 3rd row in use, the 2nd row should still have full legroom available.

It should be relatively easy (for Subaru) to adjust the 3rd-row seat location to make it work. We'll see what happens if they share the Highlander platform in 2014.

...well it looks interesting, I'm not convinced it's a Legacy replacement as the BM/BR are only 3-years into production and it was my understanding that Subaru generally uses a 5-year model. It also looks a littler smaller than a Legacy replacement would need to be, perhaps it's a glimpse into the future of the WRX/STI models now that those have been separated from the Impreza line. Perhaps it's something new altogether like the Exiga was.

Given that it's still a concept, doesn't it line up to be put on the market in about 2 years?

And where does this fit in with the new Outback sport concept or whatever it is called, the current behemoth Outback, the Forester, and the Tribeca/Highlander replacemnet down the road. Maybe this is a concept not destined for the US like the current Legacy wagon. I'm so excited!

this is a car... not a crossover. And it's a global debut at the Tokyo Auto Show...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally like this look, I am interested to read more about the motor also. Do ya think this thing will be as gigantic as the current leggos?

The trend is that the model grows over the years...

But you never know.

At last I think that the current Legacy is big enough. No need to make it bigger, it's big enough to take 5 adults without problems.

453747.png

The trend is that the model grows over the years...

But you never know.

At last I think that the current Legacy is big enough. No need to make it bigger, it's big enough to take 5 adults without problems.

Agreed. I personally think that the 4th gen legacy wagons were a decent size. I doubt the size will be decreasing though. The current size, like you said, is an ideal size for adults. Hopefully they stay the same.

PimpFro- I am really interested in the motor as well. My only concern is whether or not it will be able to support modification to put down numbers close to an STi if not greater.

Also, Is the CVT transmission similar to BMW's SMG? I honestly am not familiar with the CVT. Does it allow the driver to shift (like a manual) but minus the clutch or is it more like paddle shifting?

I love my 4th gen wagon, but I would trade more rear legroom for slightly less storage behind the seats. If they could do this and not keep such a high roofline.

Give it DI and a turbo, and I'll make mine last until this makes it here. I have little hope of being able to actually row my own gears since manuals are dying by the day.

Also, Is the CVT transmission similar to BMW's SMG? I honestly am not familiar with the CVT. Does it allow the driver to shift (like a manual) but minus the clutch or is it more like paddle shifting?

A CVT is a gearless transmission and is designed to keep the motor at its peak torque point at all times. It's a steel belt that rides between 2 pulleys that can vary their effective diameter to meet the load. Imagine a 10-speed bike where the pulley-size function of the derailleur is replaced by a pulley whose sides can slide in and out to change the effective diameter of the pulley. This sliding is infinite in variablility.

Flooring the throttle in a CVT-equipped car means the engine revs to the torque peak and stays there as the pulleys gradually change shape as the car accelerates.

OH, nice. SOA Blog is back to give us official infoz.

Concept looks pretty nice as a wagon (except the wheel arches, obviously). Wonder how it'd translate to a sedan.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I think it's pretty sweet. Seems like they got the wheel arches from the '08 STi. Love the low sleek look. Seems like this concept is lacking in the current Legacy.

Whoever said it reminded themselves of an Aztec is reaching... over reaching.

Hopefully it makes it to our shores with all the goodies, and as someone else already commented, spec B, PLEASE!

As far as when we'll see it, if we do, I'd expect 2014 or 15 (maybe 2013?). 3 years concept to car is what it took the big US 3 in the old days, maybe a little longer. Especially if the proto is fleshed out.

Last new legacy, we saw the proto in January, real car next October.

I'd expect they'll want to get another year of payoff with the current model before pushing on.

-Bill

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Archived