LegacyGT.com

ProcessWest intercooler install (LGT fitment)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Jerome from Sydney, Australia here. I had the pleasure of being the guinea pig for this intercooler, it's actually the 08-11 WRX STI intercooler but had to be tested for fitment on a Liberty (or legacy as known everywher else but Australia :p). The scoop was the main reason I had to be the guinea pig as it was all measured up on my car.

To answer someonone’s earlier question in this thread, we have compared this intercooler to the Perrin top mount, and it is actually half the thickness vertically, but is wider. All in all they seem to be around about the same volume. If you already had the Perrin top mount, it’s debateable whether it’s worth getting the ProcessWest top mount. However if you are looking to upgrade from stock I’d look at what you want to do in the future when you decide which route to take. The ProcessWest unit is particularly advantageous in that it allows upgrading of the turbo more seamlessly. I’m actually in the process of sourcing a turbo, just haven’t decided which one. Was really keen on the Blouch bolt-on but not sure!

One important thing to note is I have since had the intercooler brought forward approx. 10-15mm to help with the clearance of my strut brace as it was occasionally knocking with original fitment. Also, I am yet to put the modified turbo flange that the OP has used, mine is vertical rather than angling at the same angle as the intercooler. The brake line was also cut and looped around the silicon pipe rather than hanging over it as it is in my pics below.

I also upgraded my BOV to a Greddy Trust Type RZ blow off valve and unfortunately it doesn't fit under the hood, a section of the thermal cover and the splitter has to be cut out so that the top of the BOV can poke through that gap. Still yet to be determined whether this is causing any issues when the engine moves with throttle and when changing gears...

PS pics: (will try to find my pics of the BOV and fitment)

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198643_10150266690785009_668725008_7972639_7634361_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217528_10150266691030009_668725008_7972644_939228_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264368_10150266691160009_668725008_7972649_30339_n.jpg

Thanks Rome_STI!

I think there were some subtle differences with the US and AUS models, luckily our brake line (I thought it was the heater line, but didn't look that close) goes down underneath and I didn't have to mess with that. I didn't have a strut brace or upgraded BPV so I was lucky there as well...

SSpeed - Do you have a pic of clearance between the bottom of the IC and the clutch MC?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My PW TMIC shows up today!!! Question though....do you guys think the hood scoop adapter will work with the Zero Sports Cool Action Hood Scoop Insert?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Products/CoolActionLegacycomparo.jpg

I have one installed at the moment, and based on the pictures I've seen I don't think it will be a problem because it has the same mounting holes. I just don't want this to hold up the install.

I think there were some subtle differences with the US and AUS models, luckily our brake line (I thought it was the heater line, but didn't look that close) goes down underneath...

LHD vs. RHD is not what I'd call a 'subtle difference'! If that is the brake booster vacuum line, which it looks like, you will not have to worry about this at all. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My PW TMIC shows up today!!! Question though....do you guys think the hood scoop adapter will work with the Zero Sports Cool Action Hood Scoop Insert?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Products/CoolActionLegacycomparo.jpg

I have one installed at the moment, and based on the pictures I've seen I don't think it will be a problem because it has the same mounting holes. I just don't want this to hold up the install.

It should bolt up and fit, however you wont get full benefit out of the intercooler as not you wont be directing any air flow to 2/3 of the core. To get the most efficient flow and performance we suggest running the supplied splitter.

Kirill

RallySportDirect.com

Yes, part of the install is to simply remove the splitter from the scoop insert... when doing that the stock or the Zero Sports are going to be exactly the same... I'd probably modify the stock and sell the Zero Sports...

Yes, part of the install is to simply remove the splitter from the scoop insert... when doing that the stock or the Zero Sports are going to be exactly the same... I'd probably modify the stock and sell the Zero Sports...

Stock is in a landfill somewhere :spin:

Brand new the insert costs $122....dammit man!!! Looks like I'm selling the Zero Sports!

It should bolt up and fit, however you wont get full benefit out of the intercooler as not you wont be directing any air flow to 2/3 of the core. To get the most efficient flow and performance we suggest running the supplied splitter.

Kirill

RallySportDirect.com

Oh I'm talking about attaching the splitter to the Zero Sports insert. My friend just installed everything today, but that's the only thing he didn't mention.

• 1 month later...
anyone have any logs or documentation showing the ability to run more boost or timing due to the additional cooling capacity or anything supporting that the core works as well as it does on the wrx install with 3x the hood scoop?

Wow just caught this post. Looks like a FANTASTIC product and great write-up SSpeed.

I saw this product in person recently and can tell you the quality it top notch. I was impressed but it does come at a price. Its a great option for the lgt community.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

anyone have any logs or documentation showing the ability to run more boost or timing due to the additional cooling capacity or anything supporting that the core works as well as it does on the wrx install with 3x the hood scoop?

I got my PW TMIC last week, and hope to get it installed on Thursday. With any luck, I'll be heading up to get a full tune some time in January. As my tune was limited by the AVO TMIC last time, I think we'll be able to get a good indicator of the additional performance potential from this one (with any luck, we won't be able to find the limits of this one ;).

It seems that the PW BPV/BOV flange is the only real issue with the TMIC. I switched back to the OEM BPV and it still makes contact. I think the only work around is to put some sort of adhesive cushioning on the area it makes contact. I don't think there's anyway to create separation, but if someone came up with a way I'm all ears.

Archived