LegacyGT.com

ProcessWest intercooler install (LGT fitment)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just FYI the 07 STI alternator/belt cover bolts right on the LGT with no modification or brackets needed at all.

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100034/IMG_4989/web.jpg?

Nice write up and I will be anxious to see how much more power people are able to get out of this intercooler, and if it will be similar to the likes of the STI top mount intercoolers

So just the black plastic cover and nothing else is needed like bolts, etc? Do you have the part number for this? Thanks.

I PM'd you back but I am pretty sure that is correct. I just orders the black plastic cover.

It's been so long ago I'm not sure. Also not sure of the part number anymore.

Search my username and use some key words and you should find it

• 2 months later...

Just got this installed on my '07 spec.B. Your suggestions on deviating from the instructions helped a lot in getting the IC lined up correctly with everything. Definitely install that bottom bolt before sliding the piping onto the turbo flange.

Also FWIW to anyone, I didn't need to trim the hood insulation at all for it to fit. I just started at the bottom and slid it up between the new hood duct and hood. Tight fit, but easily done without a second hand.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be useful. ProcessWest has heard the Legacy/Liberty fitment issues both here and in Oz and are working on a new mounting system that will allow the TMIC to sit lower and allow for better clearance of strut bars and aftermarket BOV's. Once completed it should be a pretty simple fix...

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16363

Best,

C.H.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope to hear something soon on the improved mounting hardware. Hopefully, they'll provide FOC for those who have previously purchased.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thought this might be useful. ProcessWest has heard the Legacy/Liberty fitment issues both here and in Oz and are working on a new mounting system that will allow the TMIC to sit lower and allow for better clearance of strut bars and aftermarket BOV's. Once completed it should be a pretty simple fix...

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16363

Best,

C.H.

That's my post! Haha.

AFAIK he still hasn't found a donor car so my guess would be ETA for new mounts is still at LEAST a month away.

If I wasn't about to do a whole heap of work on my car I'd leave it with him just to get another cheap PW TMIC out of it!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I just installed this on an 08 Gt 5EAT

What A PITA

The brackets did not line up with holes on tmic. I had to bolt in the passenger side bracket then bend it with the IC on so the bracket on the driver side would line up.

The bracket on my drivers sides is touching my brake fluid res tank, It even took some chips out of it. I hope it does not rub a hole through it. I pushed on the entire system to get it away from this reservoir unsuccessfully, This set up is a very tight set up, but looks good I cant wait for my reflash to see how it handles, wish me luck with that all goes well

If you have an SPT heatshield mounted over the oem with spacers. It must go! otherwise you will never be able to get passenger bracket where it needs to be. I even tried to install shield on shield nope. Oem heat shield won that battle.

I like how this tmic is up, off and away from the turbo. I imagine this is going to be beneficial.

Oh and my engine bay ate two bolts during this process!!! and I cant find em!!

That's my post! Haha.

AFAIK he still hasn't found a donor car so my guess would be ETA for new mounts is still at LEAST a month away.

If I wasn't about to do a whole heap of work on my car I'd leave it with him just to get another cheap PW TMIC out of it!

They can come to America and use my car as a guinea pig so other 08 owners dont have the fitment issues I had.:spin:

I don't see how the driver's side can attach without that little bracket?

I was looking at it again and you remove the bracket that goes across in between the two bolts that hold that on.

Then the STI cover just bolts in place of that cross bracket into the two bolts on either side.

Wow I just installed this on an 08 Gt 5EAT

What A PITA

The brackets did not line up with holes on tmic. I had to bolt in the passenger side bracket then bend it with the IC on so the bracket on the driver side would line up.

The bracket on my drivers sides is touching my brake fluid res tank, It even took some chips out of it. I hope it does not rub a hole through it. I pushed on the entire system to get it away from this reservoir unsuccessfully, This set up is a very tight set up, but looks good I cant wait for my reflash to see how it handles, wish me luck with that all goes well

If you have an SPT heatshield mounted over the oem with spacers. It must go! otherwise you will never be able to get passenger bracket where it needs to be. I even tried to install shield on shield nope. Oem heat shield won that battle.

I like how this tmic is up, off and away from the turbo. I imagine this is going to be beneficial.

Oh and my engine bay ate two bolts during this process!!! and I cant find em!!

This sounds like the fitment issues we had with the FMS TMIC (PW Knockoff) on an 08.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Do you have pictures of this? I just want clarification. Before "modding" the brackets on your own?

pics are on page 5 on a post I have in the tuning section I think its titled Pw intercooler and how much boost can stock turbo handle. The pics are after the install

If you look at the bracket by the turbo. You will see how close it sits to the oem heat-shield. This bracket was off by about 2 inches to the right (towards driver side), as I proceeded to drop the tank on the brackets, No-Go for fitment drivers side bracket alignment was unattainable. That is when Neanderthal techniques were used. To bend bracket by turbo to the left to allow alignment of screw holes.

I wish I had taken pics before. But you can gather just how far off it was, just by seeing how close the final fitment is. I ended up shaving a little bit off the bracket on the drivers side to help alleviate the pressure on brake res.

I hope this helps

Weird, so this is your pics? http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4014586&postcount=74

I went and looked at mine, I have about 3/4" between my driver's side bracket and reservoir.

I compared this pic to mine https://docs.google.com/a/rideagainstthemachine.com/file/d/0B_juAcEqRlEfSEpWbHF5S1hJdTA/edit# and noticed the bracket is adjustable, but you don't have it adjusted in?

What order did you install it all? By the looks I'm going to guess you tightened up the driver's side and then worked on the passenger side?

Weird, so this is your pics? http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4014586&postcount=74

I went and looked at mine, I have about 3/4" between my driver's side bracket and reservoir.

I compared this pic to mine https://docs.google.com/a/rideagainstthemachine.com/file/d/0B_juAcEqRlEfSEpWbHF5S1hJdTA/edit# and noticed the bracket is adjustable, but you don't have it adjusted in?

What order did you install it all? By the looks I'm going to guess you tightened up the driver's side and then worked on the passenger side?

Yeah those are my pics its virgin tight fitment huh. I dont know if I got a wrong bracket or what but shes in there now, so I will cross my fingers and hope it doesnt jack up my brake res tank.

your link is also a pic of my set up.

I dont follow on the your statement that the bracket isnt adjusted in? Could you please clarify? I have the extension bracket and oem bracket as far to the left as possible.

I actually started on the turbo side, then did the drivers side bracket and when I went to drop unit onto brackets I noticed the major misalignment. So, I decide the only option was to bend turbo bracket.

I didn't have those fitment issues either. I can snap some pics of my install if you'd be interested in seeing them.

But SSpeed means that the bolt holes on the driver's side extension bracket are oblonged to allow for some adjustment.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived