LegacyGT.com

My legacy 3.0R vs RX8, is it worth it?

Okay, I am having this sensation of driving a stick. However, I realized that not many options to pick from. Maybe I am just being too pick about my next car.

My criteria:

-RWD or AWD

-0-60 times faster than my 3.0r or at least on par

-is able to seat 4 people reasonably

-looks good

-cost less than $21,000 ideally

-Of course, it has to be a stick

By going through those criteria, I have manage to narrow down to a few options. A 2006 BMW 330i, 2007 Mazdaspeed 6, 2007 RX8 and 08+ WRX.

First, the BMW. I am kinda hesitant getting a BMW because I know I should be able to afford one now but I am not sure if I want to keep up with the crazy maintenance expenses.

Second, the Mazdapeed 6. It seems like a perfect find. It is a sedan, it is relatively quick and it has AWD. But going through further research, I found out that the Mazdaspeed 6 is FWD bias until it slips. Which kinda turn me off.

Third, 08+ WRX. The insurance is just way too high for a single male who is younger than 25 years old with 1 ticket.

Lastly, 2007 RX8. Seems like it fits my criteria perfectly. I will be paying less insurance. The car is relatively fast (just a bit slower than the legacy). Apparently, the rear seats could fit 2 adults. But the reliability is kinda scaring me.

Before someone ask me to get a legacy GT, I tried and finding a manual LGT is like finding gold in my backyard. They are either insanely high miles or priced way too high or the dealer is giving me crappy price for my trade-in.

So my question is, is it worth changing my car to a RX8? :confused:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The RX8 is a piece of crap.

Agreed, its slow, feels slow, is slow. Has steep gearing which means lots of rpms just to get around which means bad gas mileage, try mid teens around town. It handles pretty good but everything else is crap. Has the trq of a baby possum

That was quick.

I know RX8 has some bad gas mileage but didn't expect it to be this bad. :lol:

I do have some suspension mods for my legacy sitting in my house right now. Wondering if I should install them or get a new car. :(

The Speed 6 sucks, the RX8 is a pile of garbage, the 08+ WRX is alright, and the BMW is fun but not that fast.

On your list, I'd get the BMW. There are other cars I'd consider, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

...and never pass anyone.

That'd be hard anyway.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The Speed 6 sucks, the RX8 is a pile of garbage, the 08+ WRX is alright, and the BMW is fun but not that fast.

On your list, I'd get the BMW. There are other cars I'd consider, though.

What other cars should I consider? I have been racking my brains about it.

I agree BMW is nice, I test drove it twice and I really liked it but when I found out about the maintenance expense, it seems a bit not worthwhile.

Keep your 3.0R, buy a cheap miata.

Other than that - what's wrong with LGT? 21k should get you smth like 07 spec.b with 50k miles. Also - g35/g37 or prev.generation CTS-V.

Honestly, I tried. I have been looking around for the past 3 months or so. I couldn't find a decent LGT that is with 1,500 miles of me. Which is quite disheartening. :(

Honestly, I tried. I have been looking around for the past 3 months or so. I couldn't find a decent LGT that is with 1,500 miles of me. Which is quite disheartening. :(

Search in 1-2 months. That's when Subaru expects a lot better inventory situation, meaning more new sales = more trade-ins.

Second, the Mazdapeed 6. It seems like a perfect find. It is a sedan, it is relatively quick and it has AWD. But going through further research, I found out that the Mazdaspeed 6 is FWD bias until it slips. Which kinda turn me off.

The MS6/Haldex FWD bias is as bad as it sounds. See what I wrote about it in another thread:

...have you driven an MS6? They look good on paper but they're really disappointing to drive. They're just...boring. The AWD really does suck, it feels like FWD without the wheel spin. They understeer worse than an LGT. And they feel slower too. I know they make more power on paper but the LGT feels more powerful behind the wheel. A stock LGT is way more fun, and the difference only grows as you start to mod. The LGT has a nicer interior too, at least in Limited trim.

I second the LGT suggestion. Wait until the right one pops up for sale. Major bonus points for a 5MT wagon. ;)

Among your list the RX-8 and 330i will both feel slow compared to a LGT or WRX. The RX-8 will handle really well and the 330i will feel like quality and handle pretty well (iff you get the sport suspension).

What I'd get?

For a daily driver that's fun, an E39 M5, or a 540i 6MT (though the 540i-6 is almost impossible to find). Or just a regular 5-series, and I'd Rao-ify it with an LSV8 and T56. I can't think of a better, economical, sporty and fun daily driver than a BMW sedan with all of the expensive-when-it-breaks stuff removed. You can buy the donor and do the swap for far less than $20k. An alternative, would be to buy an E36 BMW, and do an LS swap (there are now off-the-shelf conversion kits).

A GM swapped BMW will one day be in my stable. I'd love to build an LS-Z3 for my wife.

I don't really buy used cars anymore, my commute makes it an impractical choice, and there are no new cars in the 21k range that I'd even remotely consider buying.

If I wanted a play-car for $21k, I'd probably try to track down a mid 90's Dodge Viper. They are raw, completely nasty, and look like a TON of fun. I've never driven one, but from what I hear they are truly a workout to drive quickly. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to play around in.

Okay, I am having this sensation of driving a stick. However, I realized that not many options to pick from. Maybe I am just being too pick about my next car.

My criteria:

-RWD or AWD

-looks good

By going through those criteria, I have manage to narrow down to a few options. A 2006 BMW 330i, 2007 Mazdaspeed 6, 2007 RX8 and 08+ WRX.

First, the BMW. I am kinda hesitant getting a BMW because I know I should be able to afford one now but I am not sure if I want to keep up with the crazy maintenance expenses.

Third, 08+ WRX. The insurance is just way too high for a single male who is younger than 25 years old with 1 ticket.

Lastly, 2007 RX8. Seems like it fits my criteria perfectly. I will be paying less insurance. The car is relatively fast (just a bit slower than the legacy). Apparently, the rear seats could fit 2 adults. But the reliability is kinda scaring me.

Before someone ask me to get a legacy GT, I tried and finding a manual LGT is like finding gold in my backyard. They are either insanely high miles or priced way too high or the dealer is giving me crappy price for my trade-in.

'06 330i is slower than 3.0 legacy. It also lacks 4x4 launch. The problem with legacy 3.0 is that it's a such a good car that it's really hard to upgrade...

If you want a stick then buy a 3.0 spec-b with manual transmission (I don't know if they were sold in US, but you can always import an UE version :) ). It will ride circles around a 330.

BTW in europe a used '06 3.0 spec-b with around 100 000 km (~60 000 miles) is still worth around 16k-18k EUR that is 18k-20k USD. And lately prices of those cars have a tendency to rise...

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk to make messicans loathe my existence...

Lol, wat?

My criteria:

-RWD or AWD

-looks good

The only rotary engine worth owning is this one...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE]Mazda 787B onboard lap with Johnny Herbert at Le Mans 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Keep the 3.0R. I'd love to have one as a DD. Besides, it has the potential to sound like a Porsche flat-6...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3haSVYa4Vo]Subaru Legacy STI H6 - PreTurbo Instlation part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

+1 to buying a cheap Miata to satisfy your craving for rowing through gears and it's fun-to-drive factor is way above the cars you listed.

Archived