LegacyGT.com

My legacy 3.0R vs RX8, is it worth it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

I am still looking for a 5MT LGT. :lol: I gave up on a RX8 and I did flirt with the idea of getting a RX7. However, I think I still need the AWD. I do plenty of driving on the mountains, it will come in handy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to agree with nm+ that both the LGT and Speed6 feels forced when on track but that the RX-8 feels like it's meant to run there. The effortlessness is a joy. To me, a momentum car is far more rewarding to drive on track than a point and shoot car.

I was in the market for an LGT, but was able to snag a Speed6 in great condition for a good deal. The AWD system isn't that bad. Unlike most of the Haldex-based systems where the programming is reluctant to send power to the rear, the Speed6 is programmed to eagerly send them back. It is fine for DD and occasional track duty. It feels noticeably heavier and taller than an LGT, but appears to respond quicker, with better steering feel.

I think the LGT is a fantastic dual-duty car, but I have both the Speed6 (DD) and the RX-8 (AX mostly), and they're a decent pair.

I'm still keeping an eye out for a 4th gen LGT though. I just love 'em boxers.

To the OP though, I'm gonna suggest you wait for the FT-86 or the BR-Z. Inexpensive lightweight RWD with a low CG boxer, with none of the special care needed of a rotary. Sounds like a great track car.

good decision. give up on the rotary... you will be saving yourself in the long run. And before you flame on me, I have owned 2 rotary powered RX's I have room to hate....

Yes, the EJ257, not known for needing rebuilds or anything. :spin:

Swap in 6MT out of STI. It's not that hard and you'll get awesome combo of the H6 and 6MT. For a daily driver I think the H6 is much better engine than the 2.5T.

Swap in 6MT out of STI. It's not that hard and you'll get awesome combo of the H6 and 6MT. For a daily driver I think the H6 is much better engine than the 2.5T.

I read a couple of thread about swapping in 6MT into 5EAT. It cost them like $6k in total; $3k for the 6MT and $3k for labor. I simply do not have that kind of funding right now. :lol:

I read a couple of thread about swapping in 6MT into 5EAT. It cost them like $6k in total; $3k for the 6MT and $3k for labor. I simply do not have that kind of funding right now. :lol:

Learn to do it yourself, really not that hard. I converted my first auto car to manual when i was 16 with very little experience and a couple hours of research.

Learn to do it yourself, really not that hard. I converted my first auto car to manual when i was 16 with very little experience and a couple hours of research.

Don't get me wrong. I am a trained technician (not by choice). But I gave up on that path when I could never get rid of all the dirt on my hands and I never looked back again. I can possibly do it myself; I am okay with the technical bits but I might have trouble with the electrical bits.

Archived