LegacyGT.com

My legacy 3.0R vs RX8, is it worth it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have owned a lowered RX8 and My LGT was still better in the canyons, I would be in 3rd in the LGT and sometimes 4th, where everytime I tried at 3rd gear I would put my RX8 sideways.

As for the power. Sure is has "close" hp, but no torque at ALL. I did have the 6 speed, for the same reasons as you, and I bought the car, again for the same reasons as you. I was looking at a lot of similar cars, with the exception of the speed 6. After driving it for a year we ended up trading it in on a Saab 97x(SUV) for my wife. I hated it. Anytime you turn on the AC the idle is horrible. The gas mileage was about 19/20 for freeway driving, but my commute in town got me as low as 11! any time it rained there wasn't enough weight in the rear to connect. If I had a nickle for every time someone asked me if the squirel was tired...

Before I bought it I did take it for a descent test drive and thought "this should be quick enough" I really was wrong, every chance I got I would drive my LGT(which my wife drove for that year)

The only real benifit of the car is that there are a ton of apperance parts for it. so if thats your bag, go for it. Otherwise I can almost guarantee you will not be happy with it.

Oh and I forgot I would add about 3/4 qt of oil every time I filled up, so the engine could inject oil into the combustion chamber(thats how the new ones last longer)

And lastly,

if you can wait, wait for an LGT. Its not the fastest, most comfortable car, but it is a well rounded, great handling, dependable car...

To add to it, no living human being can comfortably fit in those back seats.

I remember test driving an RX8 before I bought the LGT and testing out the rear seats.

I'm 5'9 and I had to be already in position before the driver's seat came back at which point I could not move my legs (my feet were trapped under the seat because that's the only place they could go).

Thanks for the input guys.

I cannot wait for a LGT to come along and I love my 3.0r. If only it was a stick I am gonna to love it even more. I doubt I am gonna to get a second car.

So I am gonna to throw all the suspension modification onto my 3.0r and bring it to a local shop for a tune up.

If I were buying used, it wouldn't be an LGT from a 3.0R.

Why not just do a 6-speed swap into the 3.0? That would be the shit. 5EAT to 6MT swaps have been done. I'd do that before buying any of the cars you suggested.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If I were buying used, it wouldn't be an LGT from a 3.0R.

Why not just do a 6-speed swap into the 3.0? That would be the shit. 5EAT to 6MT swaps have been done. I'd do that before buying any of the cars you suggested.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the quote to do that is around $6,000? :lol:

I would do it if it is $2,000-$3,000 but I won't be able to sell the car again after that right?

oh I forgot, the RX8's back seats are only big enough for toddlers... like someone had metioned. What about an Audi A4?

It is like an entire forum of people who've never driven an RX-8. (Yes, I know you owned one, I don't care)

There is much more room back there than people think if you don't need to stick the seats all the way back. Sub-6 footers will be fine. The legacy backseat isn't exactly the backseat of an s-class. I can't fit in the back seat of my legacy.

The RX-8 is a great track (and AX) car and a competent street car. On the track, the reliability is pretty good and really it was just born to be out there (great cooling and brakes -- compare to 370zs where both oil and brakes overheat). Very few people who have tracked an RX-8 hate it.

As for street reliability, as one whose replaced both his engine and transmission before 100k, I've not exactly sold on the subaru=reliable thing.

On and the RX-8 has the best transmission ever and the rotary delivers power well (if not a lot down low). That rev to 9k is fun.

Yeah, it isn't a straight line car, it burns oil (because subarus nevar burn oil. . . at least in the mazda, it is supposed to), and the fuel economy sucks (though not much worse than a turbo subaru)

Oh and you get a 100k mi engine warranty. And after 100k, engines are dirt ******* cheap.

This is an apples to lamas comparison in any event (though I track my LGT and enjoy it). If you want a track car you can daily, buy an RX-8. If you want a daily you can track, buy a LGT (or something else).

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the quote to do that is around $6,000? :lol:

I would do it if it is $2,000-$3,000 but I won't be able to sell the car again after that right?

Depends on how you go about doing the swap. You could do a spec-B trans swap for a lot less than a DCCD swap, probably in the $4500-$5000 range.

You'll lose about that in selling your car and buying a marked-up used car (used car prices are at an all time high right now).

As for selling it, the only thing that'd stop you, is you. I'm sure you could sell a 6-speed equipped 3.0R in a matter of minutes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It is like an entire forum of people who've never driven an RX-8. (Yes, I know you owned one, I don't care)

There is much more room back there than people think if you don't need to stick the seats all the way back. Sub-6 footers will be fine. The legacy backseat isn't exactly the backseat of an s-class. I can't fit in the back seat of my legacy.

The RX-8 is a great track (and AX) car and a competent street car. On the track, the reliability is pretty good and really it was just born to be out there (great cooling and brakes -- compare to 370zs where both oil and brakes overheat). Very few people who have tracked an RX-8 hate it.

As for street reliability, as one whose replaced both his engine and transmission before 100k, I've not exactly sold on the subaru=reliable thing.

On and the RX-8 has the best transmission ever and the rotary delivers power well (if not a lot down low). That rev to 9k is fun.

Yeah, it isn't a straight line car, it burns oil (because subarus nevar burn oil. . . at least in the mazda, it is supposed to), and the fuel economy sucks (though not much worse than a turbo subaru)

Oh and you get a 100k mi engine warranty. And after 100k, engines are dirt ******* cheap.

This is an apples to lamas comparison in any event (though I track my LGT and enjoy it). If you want a track car you can daily, buy an RX-8. If you want a daily you can track, buy a LGT (or something else).

You may be able to fit someone under 6 foot in the back, but the guy in front is going to be squished. my 5'3" wife in the front and 4' something brother in law in the back, was tighter than it needed to be. We always took the LGT because it could fit my inlaws much better.

the only way a RX8 is going to be faster on the track is if its turbo'd or a ton into the suspension and engine, both of which would void that 100K mile warranty. Also rebuild kits are 1000$, and on a turbo you are looking at doing that every 30K miles, if not sooner.

I will give the RX8 credit for predictability, it is very predictable in turns, and you know exactly when its going to break free.

I would agree with this:

If you want a track car you can daily, buy an RX-8. If you want a daily you can track, buy a LGT (or something else).

but, if it was a track car, you should be looking into the LS2 swap.

I just want to reiterate, I have owned my LGT since 06(new) and I bought the RX8 for the same reasons as the OP did, and I wasn't happy with it at all after the "new car" feeling wore off. Its not a horrible car, I just was not happy with it compared to the LGT. IF I were going from my first car(cavalier) to the RX8, I probably would have loved it, but driving my LGT, made it one bad decision.

the only way a RX8 is going to be faster on the track is if its turbo'd or a ton into the suspension and engine, both of which would void that 100K mile warranty. Also rebuild kits are 1000$, and on a turbo you are looking at doing that every 30K miles, if not sooner.

Faster doesn't matter in a track day. It isn't a race. It is about fun and not breaking. The consumable costs are much lower on the RX-8.

The RX-8 is designed to be there -- the two external oil coolers are the first tip off. The LGT cooling system struggles with track days in CA -- I've seen 130C at thunderhill, I'm not doing trackdays in the summer until I get a better oil cooler.

Also, the RX-8 won't blow up its pistons :lol:

I'll be the first person to agree that it would be nice if the RX-8 had the power of the LGT, but it just isn't that big a deal to me in that car. More of a momentum car. I wish my LGT's transmission was anything like th 6-speed or had the handling (and I'm on RCEs with a front LSD)

To add to it, no living human being can comfortably fit in those back seats.

I remember test driving an RX8 before I bought the LGT and testing out the rear seats.

I'm 5'9 and I had to be already in position before the driver's seat came back at which point I could not move my legs (my feet were trapped under the seat because that's the only place they could go).

weird, i fit fine in the backseat of my buddy's rx-8? and i'm 5'10 and a fatass. :lol:

What other cars should I consider? I have been racking my brains about it.

QUOTE]

best option imo is the g35 sedan 6spd. or you could find a cts-v, but it'll be high mileage.

Watch out for the last gen CTS-V exploding rear end.

Google subaru ringlands failures or subaru head gasket problems or wrx transmission

All cars have weak spots, if the rear end in a GM goes replace it with a stronger one as you usually have many options.

Google subaru ringlands failures or subaru head gasket problems or wrx transmission

Yes, and I've done a full engine rebuild and replaced 3rd gear on my LGT.

You need to be aware of these things when making a decision. I certainly wish I'd been more aware of the issues with the LGT when I bought it.

With the CTS-V it is not if it goes, it is when.

If you get a Genesis, get the 2.0T and not the 3.8.

The 3.8 will make you wish you'd bought a 370Z.

The 2.0T can make 400whp on a stock motor.

The 2.0T is a dog. Especially with the manual transmission. And if you modify, you'll lose that warranty. You can pick up a loaded 3.8GT for 27-28k and the 3.8 R-spec(brembos, 19inch rims, LSD) for 23ish, yes 23 grand for a 306hp RWD coupe, with an unbeatable warranty and a sub 6 second 0-60. You can't get into a 370z for even close to that, sh1t you'd struggle to get into a low mile 350z for that. And IMHO the 350z is inferior to the Genesis coupe.

The 2.0T is a dog. Especially with the manual transmission. And if you modify, you'll lose that warranty. You can pick up a loaded 3.8GT for 27-28k and the 3.8 R-spec(brembos, 19inch rims, LSD) for 23ish, yes 23 grand for a 306hp RWD coupe, with an unbeatable warranty and a sub 6 second 0-60. You can't get into a 370z for even close to that, sh1t you'd struggle to get into a low mile 350z for that. And IMHO the 350z is inferior to the Genesis coupe.

The problem with the Genesis is that the manual transmission sucks. Admittedly, if you're coming from a subaru 5-speed, it might not be that bad, but it has more issues than that.

The only person I know who owned a genesis sold it because of continuous transmission issues.

And the 370z has cooling issues and brake problems, but they only matter if you track it.

It is pretty disappointing the issues in modern sports cars. The mustang's chinese transmissions destroyed a solid option. Same with the 370z issues: the 350z ran a bit warm but nothing like the 370.

The Camaro is pretty decent reliability wise but kind of sucks to drive because of how huge it is (I autocrossed one -- less nimble than my station wagon)

If I was tracking a car I'd buy an RX-8 over all of these. Its one issue is covered for a long time without question. I know a national champion RX-8 that got its engine replaced free even though it was obviously a timed competition car. Admittedly, if the CTS-V was still under warranty, Cadillac will replaced the diffs on clearly tracked cars with no questions.

• 3 weeks later...
you all just dont think the rx-8 is fast because your not shifting at 9000 like all rotary's are made for, or maybe its just the fact that i drove the first one in the US and it was tuned quite fast like 145ish down I-75

Or maybe you just don't know what fast feels like. The low trq also makes them feel slow. 145mph doesnt mean its fast. That means if you hold the gas pedal down long enough you will hit 145, my moms old 2002 grand am ram air could hit 140mph. The real question is how long does it take to get there.

Archived