LegacyGT.com

Suspension FAQ Discussion thread

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question:

So I'm putting together new struts. I did not realize the bellows I ordered came with their own bump stops to mount to, so I have both OEM bump stops and the ones that came with the Moog bellows.

However, I noticed that the Moog ones are a good 30% shorter than the OEM bump stops. I'm not dropping my car or anything - everything is OEM or OE replacement parts. I am worried that this shorter bump stop might be a bad idea to have on the car. Not sure why it's shorter, since the bellows were for my specific car. Does anyone have any input as to why it is shorter, or if it's a big deal? Thanks!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7056/6892936923_b27373ba78_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm currently putting some 2004 sti springs with 2006 sti top hats on my stock struts. When its in the budget I will be buying some new struts (my current ones have 190,000 on them I don't think they have ever been replaced). I needed to replace my wheel bearings and fugured etiher way I will need an aligniment so why not put the springs on now.

My question is: The rear strut when completely assembeled with stock strut, 04 sti springs, and 06 tophat has about a half inch of play. I am able to assemble the strut without even compressing the spring. this seems very sketchy. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Or is it normal? Should I not put these back on my car or would it be okay?

Thats the reason I used the front sti top hats. I didn't want the spring to become unseated on our stock ones. Everybody says you should be able to use the front stock top hats and there was no way I was about to use mine.

I went and bought three large washers to make the rear sti top hats the same width (or close to) as the stock ones. This took about a fourth to a half inch of play out of the spring. I've decided that I wanted to get it put together and I just need to make sure that the spring is correctly seated whenever I jack it up off the wheels. I don't think and It will come unseated with weight on the wheels during normal operation. Unless I get airborne across the daily railroad crossing! Then I will probablly have bigger issues to deal with.

The ride is suprisingly nice...so far. I'm getting it in for an alignment on monday then I will really be able to drive it.

Archived