LegacyGT.com

super wide//

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wrx wheels can usually be had for around $100. The bridgestones are decent tires. I wouldnt give over 200 really for the combo. I bought a set of rota torques 17x8 for 300 w/ decent michelins on them.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Plucked 'em for 280. I think there's still a couple k miles left on the tread. Probably just keep them until my big road trip in February. From Feb to April I'll probably be putting almost 8k miles, in planned trips alone. San Diego to Wisconsin and back with about a month in between, and then San Diego to Georgia about a month later.

Theres a little tread difference between what was likely the front and rear pair.. I'm thinking put the better set up front?

For winter driving, yes. Otherwise, good tires in the rear is the way to go.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Grip and/or control, Sir! It's kind of strange with AWD cars, actually. With FWD cars, you want the good tires in the rear for winter and the opposite for the RWD cars. Seems opposite, right? Fact is, whichever tires are providing power don't need the grip as much as the tires that are not. I'd always thought this was bulls**t until I rode in my friend's Honda during the winter and the rear end was EVERYWHERE. It was extremely dangerous. We feared for our lives, honestly...

Sorry eek, but I disagree with you whole heartedly on the tire arrangement.

Front tires wear at a faster rate than rear tires because they experience loads in more extreme directions than rear wheels do. They do almost 100 % turning, 60-70% braking, and on our cars at least half of the forward direction. And for winter driving especially. I wouldn't ever place the better tires in the rear of our cars. Or an fwd car for that matter. A very good portion of the weight is over the front wheels providing excellent traction in slippery conditions. Subaru states that symmetrical awd will send power to the wheels with the most grip. In our chassis that is almost always the front. Why then wouldn't you couple the best possible traction constituents together? You guys can do as you like but I will always put the best tires upfront. Pulling does a lot better than pushing when it comes to grip. Not to mention, the wear life of the tires. The front, under normal driving conditions, will always wear faster than the rear. That is why every manufacturer will reccomend the best treaded tires up front.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

I understand your point and concerns about the tire arrangement, and I would totally agree with you if I hadn't experienced this first hand on numerous occasions. I was really surprised by how much the rear end of the car would swing out when the tires with more traction were on the front instead of the rear. Even on a straight road the rear would swing back and forth as if it was simply floating. Of course, this was on REALLY worn tires as well. We switched the good tread to the rear and had no problems at all maintaining control. *shrug* I suppose this could be something someone could test?

Also, I was only stating this information for winter driving. Not year around. ;)

The SUS beast is really shaping up... struts/springs, no CEL, brakes, wheels and soon tires... still dragging my feet getting the damn sway bars on, for some reason. I think I want to do a strut tower brace and that'll about finish up my mods for now. Try to get rid of some of the rust from Wisconsin roads since I won't be seeing snow any time soon.

My defense got lazy and left the court. They're both still in my trunk. I could do them literally any time auto skills shop is open (it's a full shop, but you rent a "stall" and do the work yourself for like.. 3 bucks an hour or something? Probably less, that might be the lift price. I don't know anymore and this parenthetical is now longer than my actual statement so I'll shut up. This would be way more entertaining to me if I was drunk. Which I am not.)

Archived