LegacyGT.com

FMS Catback review, with video and sound

wpgspecb

I gotta quick question for anybody if u had your choice between a fms gms or obx exhaust which would u prefer and why? I read a lot of reviews about and I'm still unsure about the 3 I know it's the price that I like about all of the ones I mentioned. Any info will def help thanks

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just installed the FMS turbo back on my 05 GT.

The bad:

-The clamps definitely leak when connecting the two mufflers to the Y-pipe, I was feeling damn loopy driving around. I tried some exhaust putty, but that stuff does not really work for this scenario. Hoping to locate some doughnut style gaskets, 1 for the DP to the Mid, 1 for the mid to the Y, and 2 for the mufflers. If anyone found these please let me know where!

-The left exhaust hangs a bit lower than the right exhaust, something I will contact IIR about tomorrow. I put it on a lift for installation, me and my buddy tried everything to get it looking right, but to no avail.

Those two problems aside, its pretty awesome. I got the catless DP, and wow what a difference that made.

It sounds really nice, just loud enough for me.

Definitely recommend this system as long as the few issues get worked out. I am pretty bummed to have to go looking for gaskets, and having to fix the issue of one side being lower than the other. I hope IIR still has some smaller hangers for my right side!

I will post some pics once the weather gets nicer.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got the right exhuast from IIR, still did not fit quite right, and the slip joints will always leak. Took in to Exhaust Specialties in Tulatin today, they welded slip joints and corrected the system so it fits perfect. Time for a PDXTuning trip!

Finally got the right exhuast from IIR, still did not fit quite right, and the slip joints will always leak. Took in to Exhaust Specialties in Tulatin today, they welded slip joints and corrected the system so it fits perfect. Time for a PDXTuning trip!

All of my slip joints are leaking as well.

How much did the Exhaust shop charge to weld everything shut and do a proper alignment? I'm considering the same course of action...

Either that, or use a roll of exhaust wrap and put a couple of layers inside each slip joint to act as a "seal", then tighten down the clamps and hope for a better fit. Might work?

Yeah, I tried the exhaust wrap the first go around and it leaked as well, although not as bad.

They charged me $75 to weld all three slip joints and change a few hangers to make the fitment exact. It was money well spent.

IIR: im just trying to get this straight. are u telling us that u are addressing the muffler to y pipe connection issue? AS WELL as muffler tip height adjustments on your production system? these issues caused me to leave the thread but now im interested in this system again..

i like how u had it welded and adjusted. how much did they charge u so i can get a ball park estimate going in my head.

• 1 month later...
Just had mine welded and tweaked by a local exhaust shop. All slip joints were welded, hangers were repositioned, and muffler pipes were bent and adjusted to help seat them properly. No more leaks, and the tips are finally even.

Can anyone who has installed this exhaust with an aftermarket 3" downpipe let me know if they needed to use a 3" downpipe to OEM size midpipe adapter? I know the FMS exhaust gets smaller to allow for use with an OEM downpipe, so not sure if that would cause a problem when mated up to aftermarket.

Here's an example of what I have my eye on, if anyone can confirm.

I have cnt/erz dp and all I used was a 2x thicker gasket
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Just a reg old grimmspeed thicker gasket
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

I agree with Mike however I had the gasket laying around and wanted to try it before I ordered a doughnut

Was going to purchase the magnaflow CBE, but noticed the price was a bit too high. Just found the fast motorsports CBE and it looks exactly like the magnaflow but cheaper. I think I am going to go with this one. A few questions I had was how do I tuck the mufflers? And also how would I prevent uneven tips and exhaust leaks? Should I buy new Hangers as well?

Thanks again for all your help Subi family.

I have oem hangers. Your mufflers will not be straight when you put them on I don't think any except maybe a couple people had them straight on the first install. Exhaust shop or local "custom" shop that can weld shouldn't have a problem taking car of it for you

Was going to purchase the magnaflow CBE, but noticed the price was a bit too high. Just found the fast motorsports CBE and it looks exactly like the magnaflow but cheaper. I think I am going to go with this one. A few questions I had was how do I tuck the mufflers? And also how would I prevent uneven tips and exhaust leaks? Should I buy new Hangers as well?

Thanks again for all your help Subi family.

dude itd wait until FMS revises the CBE. everyone claims that the cans are leaking at the slip joint...also the double donut midpipe is a turn off. if u have a 3" downpipe which most of us do they should make a 3" mid pipee not a 2.5 like on the magnaflows and these fms products so we have to go out and order a adapter and wait....and wait...:lol:

no, this smell is there even before the tips get hot

I'm gonna go ahead and say I have a very similar smell with this exhaust. It is stiiiinky.

I believe mine is the bumper skin melting though, as the left tip sits a good 2" lower than the right and the back of the muffler tip rubs against the bumper skin.

maybe I should be using some cardboard bumper spacers?? :lol:

Archived