LegacyGT.com

FMS Catback review, with video and sound

wpgspecb

i am not trying to start any bashing, and i know this is a budget exhaust system. I have just been reading mixed reviews of both GMS and FMS....i for one am in the market for an exhaust, but am carefully weighing my options. If i can save hundreds i will, but if it means a lower than expected quality and fitment, then HELL NO! i have been hearing the Chinese made products are of lower quality, as for fitment, not too big a problem if it can be adjusted......

Not really sure if i want to put down $400-500 for a system that will cost me more to make work, and will self destruct in no time, when i can spend more to begin with and have no probs.

for around that price I'd suggest the magnaflow cbe, which import image sells, the fitment on mine was perfect, everything was great quality... that's for certain all I can say. I did have a GMS in the past and the fitment was less than stellar.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a ton of pix of the magnaflow installed today. Moving on to the FMS tomorrow.

Just to show how one is a copy and that the original fits better.

Nothing against "budget" systems. Was I not the one who told everyone about CXLighting and the "XO2" CBE I found on eBay for under $300? After that CXLighting sold all their inventory and disappeared, Lol.

CNT makes a Great product for less money than any major manufacturer. I love their down pipes.

I have only driven this car from the street into the bay. It went up for a full build as soon as it got here. Almost complete, so I will be able to put some miles on it breaking in the turbo and completing the tune. Can let you know if it sounds like a Magnaflow too.

If it fits your budget and you can work with it, go for it. Big name CBE's are not cheap.

I am relatively new to Subaru's, and i don't hear too much from OBX for Subaru's, but i have had experience with their products in the past for Honda's and they seem good then, just curious if anyone had experience with the sedan CBE from them for our application.

• 2 weeks later...
You seem surprised....
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

After almost 10,000km a few things ive noticed.

The left tip is starting to stick out a bit more than the right. I think I was hasty putting it on and didnt fully check before tightening all the clamps, I was on jacks not a hoist or it would have been easier.

Also I do notice a bit of rattle on cold start from the mid-y pipe or maybe one of the mufflers, but it completely goes away after 2 minutes of warm up.

I notice no rattle under wot, but haven't checked the piping to see if its contacting anything. I did notice the heat shield contact the mid pipe when i installed it but i just bent it up a bit and its never hit it since.

Ill stand by my statement that the price makes me happy with the fitment.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tip for those guys worried about some leakage from the slip-joints. Buy a tube of permatex Ultra-Copper... It's a goldish colored tube. Apply it around the slip to form a seal around it and let it dry. I used a ton of this stuff for a header I used to have on my rsx... The damn thing has like 6 slip joints...blah.

It should eliminate a lot of the leaking if you have any.

Still battling some fitment issues myself. The left can sits lower than the right one, and they both look squeezed toward the center of the car. I've tried rearranging the hangers to try and coax them more center, but no joy. My last thought before having an exhaust shop mess with it is to use a couple of worm gear clamps on the out sides and tighten them till they center up.

Archived