LegacyGT.com

FMS Catback review, with video and sound

wpgspecb

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed this past weekend. I am hearing a loud rattling when I accelerate coming from what sounds like the floor of the passenger side? could this be the mid-pipe contacting something?

Also the fit was terrible one tip sticks way out and the other looks normal. Also the Y pipe to muffler slip joint leaks. I am going to have the mufflers welded on next week.

Bought a Fast Motorsports (FMS) Catback exhaust for my 05 LGT, got it installed yesterday.

I ordered it here:

http://www.importimageracing.com/fast-motorsports-catback-exhaust-05-09-legacy-gt.html

I honestly love the exhaust, louder than expected and it was a breeze to install. it sounds beautiful, here's a video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICs1-uORW4]FMS catback exhaust 05 Subaru Legacy GT - YouTube[/ame]

I love it! Highly recommended, low price great sound. Only strange thing is the clamps, but other than that, its amazing!

1.thumb.jpg.e9c0071ff51173d91a0977b6dbf5ca96.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.9b5e64efcda6a399dee4a21cb8f9dbc5.jpg

122.thumb.jpg.ece1564b757a9bf6a50ce6cf4fde0d53.jpg

Magnaflow is $590 so not sure how you are going to save $700-$800, Lol.

If you hear rattling it is the mid pipe hitting the heat shields, I noted this already and posted pix. The cans will not center in the cut outs. Most likely the welding is done in the improper order during assembly. So the pipe fits in the fixture perfect, but when it is removed the pipes misshape just slightly. This is due to improper welding procedure.

I posted pix of the FMS and a Magnaflow for comparison as the FMS is a copy of the Magnaflow (but does not fit as well).

If looking for a budget CBE, the FMS is fine. But it does come with most all of the same issues that have plagued previous budget CBE's (XO2, CXLighting, GMS).

Cobb has been out of production for a few years. They were $1200 when sold. But, sorry the FMS is nothing like a Cobb (made by Stromung with the Cobb name on it). Not in fit, design, quality, sound, or the fact that Stromung is in Huntington Beach California, so Cobbs were Made in the USA.

You get what you pay for.

For the budget price, the FMS is decent.

Well it was the mid-pipe rattling on the heat shield. I just bent the shield back and havent heard anything since.

I also had the y pipe to muffler slip joints welded and the tips are even now. After welding the mufflers on the exhaust actually sounds a lot better

I installed the FMS system I got earlier this week and something just doesn't seem right. Left one sticks out farther than the right by 3/8 to 1/2 inch, the burning smell and then there was clicking as if it was hitting something on the right side, only made noise when in motion and the timing was similar to something rotating.

Needless to say I got home, let it cool and put the Stock on back on.

^^ all of that is normal for a new exhaust. Every exhaust other than stock requires some adjusting especially when one tip doesnt match the other. The smell is the machining oil burning off. And the clicking could be the aforementioned heatshield contact which is easily fixed, or driveshaft contact since while in motion, again simple adjustments here. Sounds like you gave up without even trying. Tisk.

Adjust (as best you can). Clean all surfaces with Windex (stainless) the oils are burning off and will stain the pipe. You are supposed to clean with Windex before start up. Clicking is most likely the heat shield.

Budget systems will require a little more work.

I tried, it was just me and after two hours under the car my neck was sore. Also, with the attempt to get it all resolved before the Wife came home from work. :) I'll try again next week. the Y pipe hanger doesn't even come close to reaching. Has anyone else had this issue? Also the right muffler inlet hits the sway bar. Whats the best way to put this on, assemble first loose fits and then put it all on or one piece at a time?

This system was in no way just a little bit more loud than stock. Maybe a leak somewhere?

I installed the FMS system I got earlier this week and something just doesn't seem right. Left one sticks out farther than the right by 3/8 to 1/2 inch, the burning smell and then there was clicking as if it was hitting something on the right side, only made noise when in motion and the timing was similar to something rotating.

Needless to say I got home, let it cool and put the Stock on back on.

Wow.. thats quite extreme. Im speaking of you removing it and putting stock back on.

I tried, it was just me and after two hours under the car my neck was sore. Also, with the attempt to get it all resolved before the Wife came home from work. :) I'll try again next week. the Y pipe hanger doesn't even come close to reaching. Has anyone else had this issue? Also the right muffler inlet hits the sway bar. Whats the best way to put this on, assemble first loose fits and then put it all on or one piece at a time?

This system was in no way just a little bit more loud than stock. Maybe a leak somewhere?

Did you change the downpipe to midpipe gasket when you installed it?

Burning smell will only last 2 weeks or less.

It shouldnt be that loud. REad what I posted above mine was loud as shit until I had the Y to muffler slip joints welded. Now it sounds really good

and I also had that rattling from under the passenger seat. I just bent the heat shield back

It shouldnt be that loud. REad what I posted above mine was loud as shit until I had the Y to muffler slip joints welded. Now it sounds really good

and I also had that rattling from under the passenger seat. I just bent the heat shield back

The noise is not a rattle as much as a grinding noise. Sounds like something is rubbing anytime I was in motion. After I took it off the exhaust was in direct contact with the rear sway bar and then hanger for the Y pipe was close to the drive shaft.

As far as you welding the muffler inlets is that what shortened your longer tip? Is there some compound that would work instead of welding it? Looks like I have a place to try and put it back on this Sunday. Hoping to get everything figured out before I try again.

Also, there was no gasket from the manifold to the mid pipe when I took the stock off.

Also, there was no gasket from the manifold to the mid pipe when I took the stock off.

?? Manifold to midpipe? You realize there is a uppipe, turbo, and downpipe between the manifold and midpipe right?

Install everything loose to get it where you want it and tighten things slowly to make adjustments. Sounds like you may want longer exhaust hangers too.

?? Manifold to midpipe? You realize there is a uppipe, turbo, and downpipe between the manifold and midpipe right?

Install everything loose to get it where you want it and tighten things slowly to make adjustments. Sounds like you may want longer exhaust hangers too.

Mine is the 3.0r. :)

Well got it all installed. Looked as though the cats are inline on the manifold and no flange joints for separate pipes.

Basing this of the pictures in the original post, The tips sit WAY out from the bumper.

Only other issues remaining are the left muffler does not sit securely in the slip joint with clamp fully tightened it is still loose. Due to that issue the left muffler is not centered. Drove it around a bit yesterday and no noises were experience that I had the first time around. Cleaned it with windex, that solved the "heat" smell.

Thanks for your help. Working on getting pictures and before/after videos up.

Archived