LegacyGT.com

DIY Interior wrapping - Suede Headliner How to

01rs25

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like tetris! I ended up removing the seats and center console to gain some room. But it's not easy. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. :lol:

Remember to be careful with the foam headliner, if you crack it or bend it will normally show once covered.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

If your thinking about doing this mod, that should be the least of your concerns. It's very labor intensive, and requires pretty much removal of the entire interior.

Could I entice you down to SoCar to help me with mine? Would also need to repair the sunroof at the same time - which would be the ideal time to do the headliner.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm alittle far from you. Aka all the way on the other side of the country.

Your sunroof issues should be realitively easy if your looking to fix that w/o doing the headliner.

Pull the 2 screws out of the visors (remove visors)

Pull the visor clips out, they should just pull out although you may need a very small screwdriver

Remove the 2 screws out of the map light assembly and disconnect and remove map light

Remove the Oh shit handles. Theres 2 covers on each with a screw behind. Remove the covers and pull the handles down.

On the B-pillars you should be able to just remove the airbag tab, remove the 10mm bolt and pull the panels off. This should give you enough room to work.

If you need more drop the dome light. 2 more screws inside the cover.

Drop the headliner down, and sit in the sunroof opening so that it doesn't bend or crease. You should have full access to the sunroof/ sunroof motor for you to either replace or fix.

Hope this helps.

And yeah - believe we've met before years ago at some of the local SoCal Subaru meets. Was driving a Forester, a OBS, or one of the 98 LGTs at the time.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

Here is a simple and professional solution to labeling your sunroof controls. Remember those "Model airplane decals" which are activated by water? They are known as waterslide decals. Vendors sell the blank decal paper, which can be custom printed using your own inkjet or laser printer. Give it a try.

http://www.decalpaper.com/Default.asp

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

It got a little weak at the end. I was just trying to get it finished, and wasn't in the picture taking mood.

As always, shoot me a messege or post on here if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hey 01rs25

i had the idea to do my headliner in suede as well then seen this post. great DIY btw, i am currently doing this to mine as well (sedan with sunroof) and i'm having a difficult time with the headliner. when you did yours did you start from the back and moved towards the front, or the other way around or start in the middle and move outwards. i tried starting at the back but i get so much excess material when i get to the front.

any helps would be appreciated thanks.

i am also doing the visors and could add to your post if you would like (since you sent yours out.

• 10 months later...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/DIY%20Suede%20Interior/IMG_3203.jpg[/img]

We want to seperate these pieces. Pull back the sound deadning and and find the plastic welds. We want to remove these.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/DIY%20Suede%20Interior/IMG_3204.jpg

Be careful and drill these out.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/DIY%20Suede%20Interior/IMG_3205.jpg

How did you get the plastic welds back together? I'm working on my 3rd gen right now and the door cards are full of these things. What can I do to seal it back up when I'm done?

Thanks for the inspiration and the help!

• 1 year later...
Bumping this ancient thread. If the OP is still around, how did the handles and other often used pieces hold up being just painted? Didn't flake/ rub off after a while

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived