LegacyGT.com

Well, after purchasing a Legacy for my wife I was looking for something that I could enjoy daily and today I ended up with an 06' Outback XT Limited:

I am looking around for ways to mod it. Where should I start?

Starting point depends on where you want to end up, keeping in mind that once you head off in that direction you have to be flexible because most likely your destination will modify as you learn. I've had my XT a little over 13 months and have been little by little making changes/upgrades as things have needed replacement.

The suspension is a big issue with most people, me included. I was considering a rear sway bar (RSB) when I was talking to a guy who has a lot of experience with suspension. He suggested making the improvements with the springs and dampers instead. I liked his reasoning. which was that our cars have independent suspension and the RSB does more to tie things together and somewhat minimize this. He knows of people who race Subarus with the stock RSB. If you want to stay at stock height there aren't a lot of options for us but if you are willing/want to drop to Legacy stock height there are more, albeit more expensive but superior choices. I believe this also requires changes to your suspension alignment. I did a lot of reading on subaruoutback.org forums and have sitting in my basement new KYB dampers and Rallitek rear springs. The consensus of the people who have done this setup is that the car now handles like it should have when it was new from the factory. I'm itching to get these in.

You'll find lots of good information and helpful people on these forums. The search feature is very good and you will find even more willing help if you've spent some time trying to find the answer that way first. You usually can. My advice would be to drive the car for a bit and read a lot before plunking down your hard-earned cash on an impulse just to be able to say you've done a mod. That's why I say to decide your goal first and that will help you avoid mistakes or regrets.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. I think once you have the right tires, the next thing to look at is the front and rear sway bars. There are some decent coilovers for the Outback that let you keep stock height (not the best quality but many people run them) or lower it an inch or two. I've never been a fan of the "slammed" or lowered look, but an Outback with a 1" drop looks like it should have come from the factory that way.

What are you going to do for front springs?

Are you removing the body spacers?

I'm staying with the stock front springs with the 2005 KYB G2 dampers. The rear shocks will be the KYB G2's for the 2004. No planned change in spacers. This isn't an option that will be adjustable like a coilover but for me the reviews of people who have actually done this and the price convinced me to have a go at it. My front struts need to be replaced anyway so it's a good time for this minor upgrade. If it's insufficient I'll know for next time and try something else with a better upgrade. I would love to have done coilovers but apparently never discovered the ones ssbtech mentions and maybe wouldn't have had the $ right now anyway and I didn't want to drop all the way to Legacy height. An inch however would definitely be OK. Like I said before, lots of great info to consider before you make a decision.

I disagree. I think once you have the right tires, the next thing to look at is the front and rear sway bars. There are some decent coilovers for the Outback that let you keep stock height (not the best quality but many people run them) or lower it an inch or two. I've never been a fan of the "slammed" or lowered look, but an Outback with a 1" drop looks like it should have come from the factory that way.

Awesome, thanks for the info Dozer!

I took my camera out with me yesterday and took a few photos, this is the only one I have on this computer but more to come:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/5854536919_c984409037_b.jpg

Here is what I did with mine: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unveiling-my-obxt-poor-pictures-but-you-get-point-160559.html

I used COBB mufflers for the LGT and had a muffler shop hack off the tips and replace them with turn downs. Totally stock looking on the OBXT. Hides the Turbo back catless exhaust well.

Nice! I love your car dude. I don't see any Legacy Mufflers on the COBB site, do they not offer them anymore or am I missing something?

get red overlay for the rear turn signals.... really cleans up that year

I agree 100%. The full red tail looks great on the older lights.

Either do that, or get the 07-09 tails.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

get red overlay for the rear turn signals.... really cleans up that year

Or the JDM version for the 05-07 - completely red... ala:

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5-tail_lights_bp5/t1b.JPG

More contact info found here.

Or installed on Gire's LGTW here

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Or the JDM version for the 05-07 - completely red... ala:

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5-tail_lights_bp5/t1b.JPG

More contact info found here.

Or installed on Gire's LGTW here

Those look sweet. I'd get them if I had an 05-06!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So I received my Accessport today and installed it, I just took it around the block and didn't get on it at all but it feels different for sure.

Would the next logical modification be downpipe or intake?

Downpipe for sure. At this modification level an intake will only add noise. It also causes our cars to run lean, so a tune (outside of a Cobb OTS) will be needed for MAF scaling.

Excellent. I have had my eye on an Invidia catted downpipe, is there any reason to go with another brand? My car is auto if that helps.

• Mega Users

If you are looking for better handling and keeping ride height, you can use the 00-04 rear KYB GR2 struts and the 03-04 front KYB GR2 struts. They are interchangeable, but with higher damping rates. It will take care of the bouncy suspension that comes stock. The rear ones do raise the height around 1/4". Rallitek has stiffer rear springs that maintain stock ride height.

If you do nothing else, the 00-04 rear struts are a requirement IMO. It stops the boat like handling issues.

I am picking up some lgt suspension on Tuesday so that should take of that.

I am at 55 miles since I installed AP and the car is idling pretty rough still. Is this pretty Normal or should I be concerned? While driving the car is smooth and not rough at all.

Never mind, I accidentally put it in realtime instead of flash. Changed it in the pinkberry parking lot and all is well!

I considered the '04 struts but some of the people on subaruoutback.org who had done this felt that the ride was a little too harsh. Like you say the biggest issue is in the rear anyway. I gotta make an effort to call the shop I'm going to have do the install or they'll be sitting there for 6 months like my BNR evo 16g turbo.

If you are looking for better handling and keeping ride height, you can use the 00-04 rear KYB GR2 struts and the 03-04 front KYB GR2 struts. They are interchangeable, but with higher damping rates. It will take care of the bouncy suspension that comes stock. The rear ones do raise the height around 1/4". Rallitek has stiffer rear springs that maintain stock ride height.

If you do nothing else, the 00-04 rear struts are a requirement IMO. It stops the boat like handling issues.

Archived