LegacyGT.com

Wrecked my Legacy

I was an adjuster for Progressive for a few years and I feel like my 2 cents may help here.

Based on what you are describing, which understandably isn't 100% clear, I believe the median you are describing is a dedicated left turn lane at a non-lighted intersection. That, or a lane where traffic from both opposing lanes can use to turn across traffic.

So it sounds like you cut across a couple lanes fairly quickly in order to make your turn and your car wasn't completely parallel to the lane you were in. Which would leave your left rear sticking out to the traffic behind you.

The rule is that if you have established yourself completely in a lane and are hit from behind, the person behind you is at fault. There are some instances where this may not apply, but this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Since it sounds like you were not 100% within your lane when you stopped, you would be at fault.

If the other driver was not paying attention, and admits it, there is a chance he could be found partially at fault. That means different things in different states. I don't know Indiana's liability law, so I can't help with that.

If he doesn't admit he wasn't paying attention, and he was traveling at the same rate as the other traffic in his lane or the assumed safe speed for the conditions, then it will be your insurance who handles all the damages.

Your car is very likely a total loss, and I would want it to be if it were mine. Do some research on what your car is worth. If you plan to take anything off of it, you have to replace it with a functioning part. So if you take out the radio, for example, you need to put another one in and have it working.

I hope this helps, good luck and glad to know you're ok.

Thank you for a very informative post. I'm curious if it is totaled what kind of price can I expect to have to pay the Insurance company (Allstate) to buy it back. According to Edmunds the cars trade in value is $10,400. What do you think?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you can go online and find similar cars to up the price you get from the insurance agency. My mom did that because she totaled her/my old Q45, and they only wanted to give her like 500$ So she went online fouds similar ones for like 5K, and they gave her the lowest of the 3 that she found.

I think you can go online and find similar cars to up the price you get from the insurance agency. My mom did that because she totaled her/my old Q45, and they only wanted to give her like 500$ So she went online fouds similar ones for like 5K, and they gave her the lowest of the 3 that she found.

What I'm talking about is buying it back from the insurance co. if they decide to total the car. So that I can part it out, or use the parts for a future build.

Here's one w/ no engine in PA, automatic but you've already done that swap before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Legacy-GT-2006-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-2-5L-TURBO-AUTO-45K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2563fd72afQQitemZ160591344303QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Sorry about your luck. Hopefully things will work out so we don't lose another member. Glad you're ok.

All State will likely call a salvage company and ask for a quote for the salvage value of the car. All State will essentially buy the car from you and then sell it to a salvage company. It's how they recover some of the money they give you for your total loss. If you want to buy it back, you just have to pay what the salvage company quotes All State.

I never saw any car get more than $2500, it was usually in the $600-$1200 range.

It's your decision, but I never suggest anyone buy their car back. If you are thinking of fixing it, you have to take into account that the car essentially has no value to Insurance and if you get into another accident, you will get almost nothing for it. If you're just going to use it for parts, as long as you have somewhere to put it, it could be worth your while if the salvage quote is low enough.

I never saw any car get more than $2500, it was usually in the $600-$1200 range. It's your decision, but I never suggest anyone buy their car back....

^professionally a very safe decision but not always the one that makes the most sense financially. I bought back a 10 year old b16 transplanted honda that was totaled for $800. Sold that parts for over $4000. Paid $5000 for it originally.:lol:

This LGT probably has a LOT of valueable mechanical parts in it but it takes work and investment to get that money.

What I'm talking about is buying it back from the insurance co. if they decide to total the car. So that I can part it out, or use the parts for a future build.

no, I understand, I meant, either way, make sure to do that so you get more than the 10k you think your going to get. you may end up paying a little more for the car to buy it back, but who cares if they pay you more for the car(ie value 18 not 10K)

^professionally a very safe decision but not always the one that makes the most sense financially. I bought back a 10 year old b16 transplanted honda that was totaled for $800. Sold that parts for over $4000. Paid $5000 for it originally.:lol:

This LGT probably has a LOT of valueable mechanical parts in it but it takes work and investment to get that money.

There are certainly exceptions. I lied, there was one time I was begging the guy to buy his car back. He had an 01 Prelude that he had spent a TON of time and money on. Full, tasteful body kit molded in, JDM motor and tranny swap, complete custom interior, high end wheels. He got tagged from behind by a guy without insurance and had no place to keep it during the repairs. The whole trunk was caved into the rear seat but no damage to the front. I had to base the amount we paid him on a standard Prelude because he never reported his modifications and he got hosed. He was having some life trouble apparently and never bothered to swap any of the parts out. He ended up getting something like $7500 for a $16,000 car.

I wanted to tell him to buy it back and I'd buy it from him. But at the time, it wasn't worth my job.

Like I said, if you have somewhere to keep it and the ability to fix it/strip it, by all means buy it back. But, for the average car owner, it ends up being more hassle than it's worth.

I had to base the amount we paid him on a standard Prelude because he never reported his modifications and he got hosed.

so youre saying that mods need to be disclosed to insurance companies to cover damages? i did that while getting a quote and they said they couldnt cover me because i modified the suspension...

first thing, glad your ok. second, if you can provide proof of purchase for any performance additions that increase the overall value of the car, AND your were paying extra on your insurance it will make it harder for them to total it... good luck!

so youre saying that mods need to be disclosed to insurance companies to cover damages? i did that while getting a quote and they said they couldnt cover me because i modified the suspension...

It varies by company, but most will provide additional coverage for aftermarket parts. You have to pay extra and it goes on a different part of your policy. So you would have comp, collision, BI, UMPD, and customized parts. They rate you based on the parts and the replacement cost of the parts. Keep in mind that this allows them to raise your premium almost like you have gotten tickets or had accidents. I didn't deal with rates, but I know you want to keep a low profile when setting up your policy.

And I know car guys don't understand it, but aftermarket parts do not increase the value of your car. Especially when it comes to insurance. And often times this can work in your favor.

If you wreck your car and have a lot of mods, chances are you can replace the modded parts for less than the OEM parts if it is straight dealer pricing. Look up how much the dealer would charge for an OEM rim versus what you could get an aftermarket rim for. The OEM parts are probably more expensive so you can get an estimate and check and use the money to buy mods and have some cash left over. It won't work every time, but it can be worth it.

The car is officially totaled. I talked to the adjuster today and they have offered me what I feel is a fair amount for my car, but to buy it back they want $3100.

This is a lot more than what I expected to have to pay to get it back. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of trying to part it out or reuse the drive train. I'm tempted to just buy a new wrx, or a used STI. (I'm not feeling the new Legacy)

Here is a short list of the aftermarket parts I have on the old Legacy, not including all of the good parts (engine, drivetrain, interior). I'm curious to know what you guys think as to whether it would be worth parting it out or not. This is not a for sale post!

FP68HTA 15k miles

XO2 FMIC

Invidia DP + UP

XO2 mid+y+cans

AEM CAI

DW 850cc injectors

ravsport grill

JDM sidespats

kartboy ss

A pillar gauge pod

KillerB oil pickup

Rota Tarmac II's

Man bad week for the Richards. I got a tail end total last week as well and 3100 sounds right for the buy back as that's what I was offered. I also got more than the kbb value of my car so I am happy. Just bought my used 08 sti yesterday. You should do it.

Richard

Man bad week for the Richards. I got a tail end total last week as well and 3100 sounds right for the buy back as that's what I was offered. I also got more than the kbb value of my car so I am happy. Just bought my used 08 sti yesterday. You should do it.

Richard

Weird coincidence. I will say that I'm really happy with the amount they are going to give me for my car. I just hate the thought of all of the hard work and money I put into it going to a salvage yard.

wow that seems like a lot for buyback of a totaled car...

sneak into where it is and steal all the parts! otherwise they're just gonna crush it / sell it to a junkyard, no?

I don't think so. The guy from the towing company looked like he was a proud, card carrying member of the Aryan Nation. The two of us had words when he tried to throw all of the broken parts from my car inside the car. He gave me that intense, I'd enjoy killing you look. :lol:

Wow, $3100 is very high. I suppose since there was no front damage, the value is much higher. If you had hit the front, I am sure it would he half that.

Take your time deciding and do what's best for you. If you are capable of dealing with it, it could be worth it. But look into how much it would cost if you had to have it hauled away when you are done with it.

And finally: buy it back and make it into a race car!

I see at least 2-3K in that car, and you can still sell the engine and transmission. I would say, if you have the time, buy it, and part it out, if you don't then tell us the junkyard its in...lol

Definitely sounds like you could get recoup some of your loss by parting out if you decide not to swap the parts over to another donor car.

Its just a question if you have the time, ability, and patience to go down that route.

If you part it out, dibs on the JDM side spats. ;)

Good luck either way.

It might be worth every penny, just do a huge part out, start with the front bumper cover and go work your way back. You engine and trans alone are worth about 2K, then you go into the seats, steering wheel, mats, console fenders doors, door cards, etc… that’s not mentioning how much I would give you for those spats, lol.

edit: damn it, someone beat me to it.

Only buy it back if you have the time and space to have a ripped apart car sitting around.

haha, you should buy it back and I'll buy it from you...and all I want is the 850's and rear door handle :p ok ok, and maybe the 68hta. have you considered buying it back and just selling it whole as a parts car? I know my bank would love to give me a loan...and it wouldn't be too much to ship it up to minnesota...

Well, you could always take a chance and buy it back at the auction. Most likely its going to wind up at http://www.copart.com. The insurance company sends most of their cars there that are totaled. Sometimes they sell for pennies on the dollar. Most likely with that kind of damage, either a scrap yard, parts company, or junk yard will purchase it. The problem is, with auction fees, you may end up spending the same amount.

Can you counter your insurance company with a lower amount?

Archived