LegacyGT.com

LED Instrument Cluster, HVAC, Etc..

Here is the list of everything I've used to date:

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

4 x WLED-xHP5 ($5.95 ea) in blue for the gauges

2 x T1.5-xHP ($2.79 ea) in blue for the time/temp & odometer/trip

HVAC CONTROLS

3 x NEOx-xHP ($2.29 ea) in 4mm blue for all the lighting in there. It only takes three bulbs.

KEY RING, ACCESSORY RING, ASHTRAY & SHIFTER (AT ONLY)

3 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in blue for key ring, accessory ring, and shifter

1 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in white for ashtray

I bought everything from http://www.superbrightleds.com under the 12V Car Bulbs section.

Please remember that SMD LED bulbs are more washed out in color than your traditional LED bulb so if you want a darker color, please use a traditional bulb. If you want a lighter color then use the SMD. These are just guidelines, feel free to experiment--however--whichever bulbs you end up purchasing try to get ones with a 360 degree viewing angle. It will light up more area and there won't be any shadows or dark spots.

Cheers yea.

Would you classify the piece where the heating controls and radio as the HVAC and Accessory Ring Etc ..?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JaQuan15, not sure what you're asking.

The HVAC controls are the three knobs at the top. The radio is below that, however I had an aftermarket unit so I did not change any LED's in there.

If you're asking if the LED's listed under the HVAC Controls are for the heater controls then yes. The accessory ring is the cigarette lighter. I don't smoke so I used it as a charger for my phone, hence accessory.

I hope that's the answer you're after.

JaQuan15, not sure what you're asking.

The HVAC controls are the three knobs at the top. The radio is below that, however I had an aftermarket unit so I did not change any LED's in there.

If you're asking if the LED's listed under the HVAC Controls are for the heater controls then yes. The accessory ring is the cigarette lighter. I don't smoke so I used it as a charger for my phone, hence accessory.

I hope that's the answer you're after.

Thank you much , yes the three buttons under the HVAC control that regulates the defrost and A/C .. Would I use a different sized bulb for them or is the 3 bulbs for the HVAC unit controlled with the same bulb ? Sorry if that didn't make sense wish my photo would upload via iPhone ..

• 4 months later...
Does anyone of led's that fit in the cruise and fog light buttons??

Please read the entire thread before asking questions. This is on the 3rd page:

My cruise, fog and heated wiper switches all took a T3 twist style bulb. Beware though that it will not ilimonate very well. I took each switch apart and spray painted every surface that reflects the light with chrome.

It looked very dull at it's best before I did this. Bow each switch lights up nice. I did not change the lights on any of the orange indicators anywhere in the car (ie: let's you know what switch is on).

Hope this helps.

Cheers yea

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry I'm just confused as to what the "2 x T1.5-xHP ($2.79 ea) in blue for the time/temp & odometer/trip" are for? I changed the 4 on the back and it changed the color of the odo and clock, so why do I need the other two?

I'm sorry I'm just confused as to what the "2 x T1.5-xHP ($2.79 ea) in blue for the time/temp & odometer/trip" are for? I changed the 4 on the back and it changed the color of the odo and clock, so why do I need the other two?

There is one T1.5 bulb base behind each of the time/temp and odometer readings. It's a twist lock base. Although the 4 bulbs will change the colour of those two digital readings they will be drastically brighter using those T1.5 bulbs.

Thr time/temp and odometer should be just as bright as the rest of the cluster. Use my pics in the first post as a reference.

Unfortunately I do not. I no longer have my Legacy. It's been a while but if my memory serves me correctly I believe you must remove the white back cover of the cluster to get access or something like that.

I also vaguely remember having to flip up each LCD display to install the bulbs. I may be wrong but I know they're in there somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more help. Perhaps one of the other members who have done this mod in this thread can chime in.

http://i63.tinypic.com/1zladf4.jpg

Upside down and a doesn't show the whole thing. Every light can be changed without having to take the white plastic cover off besides the PRND321 lights

Thanks Zaldon, that's what mine looks like. Stoggy, was your Legacy a non US model? I completely remove my motherboard and there was absolutely no bulb for those two items. Maybe it's a year to year type thing, or maybe even a difference in models, such as L, GT, etc? None the less, I'm still happy with my results. Thanks for the help!

Yeah the temp and odo screens should just be a type 74 led bible. Should be seen at the bottom of your cluster with two small black twist out connectors. At least that's what mine was.

-04 subaru legacy GT USDM

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/

Has anyone tried a 194 instrument cluster bulb with more than 5 SMDs on it?

* for the dash/instrument illumination bulb - basically the bulb is a 194 or a 194/168 wedge base # WLED-x4 (4)

I'm going to be trying some 9 led bulbs for the dash lights too.

Does anyone know if the one mentioned on the sl-si forum the "9 led" is that same as this one and if so will it be too long?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-9-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/207/928/

I have used the 5 SMD on my old car before, but wanted to see about getting something brighter...

Lastly does anyone know the bulb code for replacing the "check engine" light?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my LEDs in and initally it seemed to work but now two are not coming on.

I will have to see if I can fiddle with them again.

Did anyone have particular issues with the T1.5-RHP bulb replacements that go behind the outside temp and the odometer? One of those never lights up no matter what light I put in it (stock or LED) and the other worked at first and now no longer comes on...

Can the metal contacts on the back wear out?

It is not that big of a deal but am curious if anyone knows a way to fix it.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...
Cool mod! I just had one of the bulbs behind the tach burn out so I've been researching trying to find bulb numbers and ran across this. I may just swap everything out for LED to get a brighter instrument cluster. Seems pretty dim to me most of the time and that blue looks dope. Thanks for posting!

Can you guys do me a huge favor, please? Tell me what type of bulbs are used for the Subaru Part#'s in A, B, & C.

Thanks much!!!

Super late but as one of my previous posts indicated the check engine lights and other warning lights are 2721 bulbs.

I got my LEDs in and initially it seemed to work but now two are not coming on.

I will have to see if I can fiddle with them again.

Did anyone have particular issues with the T1.5-RHP bulb replacements that go behind the outside temp and the odometer? One of those never lights up no matter what light I put in it (stock or LED) and the other worked at first and now no longer comes on...

Can the metal contacts on the back wear out?

It is not that big of a deal but I am curious if anyone knows a way to fix it.

Thanks.

Any updates on my previous question?

Archived