LegacyGT.com

LED Instrument Cluster, HVAC, Etc..

yeah that would be cool lol, ive takin the switches off and looked at the bulbs, just never found an LED that fit, but once yours come in ill deffinitly get em in and post em up :)

Yeah sucky thing is if you put them in backwards you have to take the WHOLE thing apart just to pop out the led but once you do get it in the right way you gotta press really hard on the screw driver and give it a small twist cause its so snug if not you'll strip the plastic and it won't be going anywhere lol

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

i got my leds in, everything went as planned and yes if you go with white you do have to sand the film off of the back of all of the gauges, but its very easy.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/zach3stacks/legacy7.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5057/imag0276dyk.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3649/imag0278o.jpg

Finially got me a knew head unit that actually changes colors lol AND thanks to Tyler i got my fog and cruise switches converted to blue :)

• 5 weeks later...

My input (for my BH Outback). All pictures with the same shutter, f/stop, White Balance and ISO. The SMD LEDs came from SuperBright LEDs.

Before (with some dead OEM bulbs)

IMG_4202.JPG

1/2 red (WLED-RHP6) & 1/2 cool white (WLED-CWHP6)

IMG_4204.JPG

After

IMG_4205.JPG

Impressions:

• Too bright with the Cool White & killed my night vision. So I swapped them out to all Red (no picture).
  • Apparently there are green filters in the instrument cluster. Thus the slight tint of green when they are supposed to be white.
  • Downfall of the LEDs I used is that they are too bright compared to the other dash lights.
  • After a year the LEDs on my RPM gauge started to flicker. My buddy has the same issue.
  • 2 year warranty on the LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs. I returned them.
  • Incandescent bulbs back in for now (red). I really miss the LEDs. Probably will re-order them....

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Stoggy for his original post! I needed to change my Stereo because the stock one started eating up my CDs. So, via Clutchfield, I got a new head unit along with instructions on taking the dash apart. I also had a couple of bulbs not working, the trip/odemeter and HVAC left-most bulb. I read this post and figured I could replace the bulbs along with the head unit.

Luckily, this forum had all the instructions I needed. I got the bulbs stoggy listed from superleds. It took me about five hours to complete the whole process, including replacing the stereo. Sometimes I would get stuck for a few minutes, but it was not bad at all... Very do'able.

For anyone thinking of doing this mod, here are my thoughts:

PROS_

Fixed bulbs that werent working. End result looks great. The feeling of accomplishment is much greater than the time and challenges put in to this mod. Customizations increase a sense of ownership, gives a sense of personalization. Any color combo is better than the stock green, which just looks cheap. LEDs give better light. This mod revamps the interior's appearance, and I have since enjoyed driving at night more. It looks great at night, especially with blacked out windows.

CONS_

In the process of changing bulbs, somehow my fog/cruise lights stopped working. I was unable to disassemble the fog/cruise lights so I could not replace those bulbs... even though I had purchased the replacements from superleds, I just couldn't figure out how to get the buttons open. Those bulbs are just lying around now. It was easy to take the Center console apart, but taking the speedometer section out was a little more time consuming. I got stuck trying to take the Hazard light switch's cable off. That took me about 30 minutes before I re-read the instructions that stoggy referenced. There is mention of using skinny pliers which did the trick for me. Once I grabbed a pair of skkiny pliers, in less than 1 minute the cable was disconnected. There was some trial and error in play for this mod because of the polarity issue when plugging in a light. I did not disconnect my battery cable so that I could plug in a bulb and then test it out. About two weeks after I hooked up the LEDs, one bulb in the HVAC started flickering, and the Odometer bulb also would go out now and then. I re-opened the dash and realized that they weren't sitting flush. They were moving around. So I swapped them and tightened them as best I could. I haven't had any problems since.

Conclusion_

Time consuming, but not difficult. In retrospect, I should have gone all Red LEDs. Blue is too flashy for a 2003 Legacy, I think Red would have looked classier. Also, the HVAC heat controls don't light up well with a blue LED (the red bars dont show). They also don't light up well with a red LED (the blue bars dont show nicely). Keeping this in mind, if I had to do this mod again, I would go all Red LEDs with one Cool-White LED. The white LED would work well in the hVAC heater control section, and Red for all else.

Thanks again stoggy.

• 1 month later...
Here is the list of everything I've used to date:

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

4 x WLED-xHP5 ($5.95 ea) in blue for the gauges

2 x T1.5-xHP ($2.79 ea) in blue for the time/temp & odometer/trip

HVAC CONTROLS

3 x NEOx-xHP ($2.29 ea) in 4mm blue for all the lighting in there. It only takes three bulbs.

KEY RING, ACCESSORY RING, ASHTRAY & SHIFTER (AT ONLY)

3 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in blue for key ring, accessory ring, and shifter

1 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in white for ashtray

I bought everything from http://www.superbrightleds.com under the 12V Car Bulbs section.

Please remember that SMD LED bulbs are more washed out in color than your traditional LED bulb so if you want a darker color, please use a traditional bulb. If you want a lighter color then use the SMD. These are just guidelines, feel free to experiment--however--whichever bulbs you end up purchasing try to get ones with a 360 degree viewing angle. It will light up more area and there won't be any shadows or dark spots.

Cheers yea.

Hey just checking in, need to do my instrument cluster and HVAC in my 03 legacy gt, are these bulbs listed the exact ones i need? Just need to confirm, thanks guys

Everything you need is in my original post--prices may vary. If you read this entire thread you'll see I have posted other part numbers for other areas of the interior. Other members have contributed part numbers to fit various areas as well.

Archived