LegacyGT.com

LED Instrument Cluster, HVAC, Etc..

ya stoggy thanks a lot appreciate it. I don't have any of the other lights (besides the cig lighter) nor have the interest to do them either way lol. half of my instrument lights are out so might as well fix/upgrade while I'm installing my new deck anyways

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some STI gauges that I picked up from somebody at work, and swapped my LEDs over

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/natearagon/Subaru%20B4/photo2-1.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/natearagon/Subaru%20B4/photo1-1.jpg

Those gauges are SICK!!! lol that blue really looks good on em. If i could stand the KPH i would love to have some of my own. Don't like the yellow needle tho... i'd have to see about keepin my red one

Ahhh good to see superbrightleds.com is still improving products, ive been buying from them for years, for home ambiance, 12v vehicle and many many other hobbyist projects. great products, and as for the guage overlay, i aught to post my many interior styling with these, ive done my e30 in reds and whites, my mk4 GLI all whites with many exterior mods with alot of the fun accessories they have, and will be doing this icey cool blue to my legacy to match my new indash dvd/gps. i love the tone, and hadnt thought of doing it until now. just ordered a full set with minor customizations

my question is to the people directly installing the bulbs, are you using any solvents or sandpaper to remove the green film on the overlay panels? or does the blue filter out all the green entirely? i want to see a difference in them and get a feel for which looks better, without too much distraction in night driving.

awesome, i look forward to them coming in, ive gotten the rest of my car ready for the fun. likely i will be taking many pictures, before and after etc. and write any notes on my difficulties. i will be removing the green tint though, and try getting a before and after shot at good resolutions for anybody curious what fits their needs better.

• 4 weeks later...
Might sound like a dumb q but how do you take that green tint off? I guess im kinda scared i might break something while i'm pulling it all apart. And the other guy from the other forum installed or had a blue/light blue illumination tint on his. Was wondering if anyone knows anything about that or where to get it.

To remove the green tint i just snapped the clear cover off the cluster very carefully then removed the screws from all the gauge faces next removed all the needles, the small ones are stubborn, make sure not to mix them up. I used emory cloth to sand the film off 100% to be sure you got it good hold it up to a light, any little spec of green will show, my dash lights are white, you can see them a little further back in the forum, cell phone pics though.

• 1 month later...

Really happy with the way everything turned out, can't thank you enough for the help and write up. Couple things I feel I should mention that might help some people out.

If you are changing the lights in the seat warmers, be sure to take stoggy's advice and chrome up where the bulbs go, it makes a world of difference with the leds. Next, instead of dismantling a T3 bulb for the bum warmers, you can buy these bulbs that fit right into the rubber mount things (3mm for the seat icon, 5mm for the orange indicators). And finally, the green stuff on the back of the icons comes off real easy with some q-tips and nail polish remover if you want them in white.

Some pics of how it turned out.

Just a note to anyone wanting to get rid of the green on the stock radio, if you open it up and remove the green condom thingies, it doesn't actually end up white haha. I don't mind the orange, but I was kinda hoping it would be white like the switches. Whoopsies :lol:

I also took off a little too much on the passenger seat warmer so now there's some extra white showing up. I'll probably end up fixing it, but for now, I'm happy

1379802117_2012-12-0413_00_56.thumb.jpg.e4b6f069a406c8878f2be584a49f847d.jpg

1503553380_2012-12-0413_01_09.thumb.jpg.ab9e4c8a5bce5b16b395dbb0ef03a62b.jpg

699658840_2012-12-0413_01_17.thumb.jpg.b455bce274eef9f10e55368ab60db94f.jpg

1023207748_2012-12-0413_05_53.thumb.jpg.722141db67c6dae0b2ad5cf30c9c520c.jpg

• 11 months later...
I have a question if I can ask. The superbrightleds website indicates at least some of the bulbs are polarized & will work only 1 way in the socket. Is there a way to tell without installing the assembled bulb & holder into the cluster & then plugging it into dashboard if they are installed correctly? My car must have been built late in the year & I guess they were running low on wire - :mad: - there sure isn't enough slack to plug in the cluster unless it is in position. There's just enough room to get it in & out behind the wheel - not something I want to do more than I have to.

I know it's late to the party but I think this answer should be in the thread. When I did my Legacy I got one of those 9 volt battery pigtails from Radio Shack and tested my LEDs before I put them in. Just touch the bare leads from the battery to the wires on the base of the socket, it will only work one way. Then use a Sharpie to mark the base of the bulb. The 9 volts of the battery is enough to get the LED to light.

The other trick is to get the Lighting and Illumination pages from the FSM Wiring diagrams and figure out which pin on the cluster or switch is ground and which is positive and test it out on the bench with the same 9 volt battery pigtail.

I did mine in the middle of winter and it was much nicer testing at the dining room table than in the 20 degree driveway.

I found I needed to cut a little bump of the base of the bulb and Dremel down the base to fit in my sockets. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
FYI guys - I have wanted white faced overlay gauges in my 03 Legacy for quite some time, and of course no place made them. When I bought an 02 Legacy GT Limited automatic for parts, I found a place that would make the overlays for our instrument cluster and HVAC controls. So I pulled out the instrument cluster and HVAC controls, and donated them to the place (whitegauges.net) in order to get overlay gauges made for our car. That day is now here.

Hey everyone,

So I made a noob mistake when I got my LEDs, the post listing the sizes are all correct, the LEDs went in nice and snug. Be sure you line it up right, I noticed you can push plastic collar back making it not fit properly aftewards without fixing collar first around the base of the LED.

HOWEVER, the big 194s for the speedo and tach, you'll notice a blue jacket on them. DO NOT get blue LEDs if you want to keep stock look, you must get greens, and they'll be more vivid green than stock. What does warm/yellow light + Blue rubber make? Green. That's the simple art class lesson a monkey like me didn't sit through.

Other than that I got whites for all the other lamps in the cluster and it all looks well.

Here's the exact list for complete instrument cluster replacement:

Error/Signals: T1.5-CWHP x 12

Speedo/Tach/Odo/Clock: WLED-GHP5 x 4

HVAC Controls: NEO4-GHP x 3

Ash tray/Glovebox: 74-WWHP3 x 2

Lighter ring: 74-GHP3 x 1

All my button lamps still work so I'll just leave those until one burns out, then do them all, so no data from me on those, but looks like there's plenty of info above in this thread.

Will post a pic once I get this sorted out.

Also, anyone having the case where a couple glow dimly when they should be off and light bright when signalled? My e-brake and battery lamps are always on dimly except when I have the e-brake on it goes full bright, and when lamp test happens starting the car the battery light goes bright too for a moment.

Will try moving them around and post back when I get my photo as well.

• 10 months later...
Swapped my cluster bulbs last night and got them all to work though for some reason I don't know, my car lights won't turn off. The tail lights and front turning lights are on even when the switch is off and the key is out. Anyone know what I messed up on?

• 11 months later...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/61d3590316e4993d0cb10ac46781dbc4.jpgHi There,

Bro I have one question I've Legacy also 2001 but the deference is that I've electronic A/C which is for Europe model I guess, so is it possible to change the light for this one also. Same as this one on the picture that's why I'm wondering if I can change LED to that we'll be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To awadh1subie, yes you can do it--however--I have not personally done it so I cannot tell you which bulbs it takes. That is something you'll have to figure out yourself as you take it apart.

As for taking the dash apart, no you do not. You need to take the centre trim panel off and the instrument cluster out. The rest can be done by removing the necessary switches or covers to access the individual bulbs.

To awadh1subie, yes you can do it--however--I have not personally done it so I cannot tell you which bulbs it takes. That is something you'll have to figure out yourself as you take it apart.

As for taking the dash apart, no you do not. You need to take the centre trim panel off and the instrument cluster out. The rest can be done by removing the necessary switches or covers to access the individual bulbs.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/14/8901a0fa36d982185e91f042e8924342.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/14/335381fb459fb3d2e754f4addbcb7b89.jpg

Yea your right!

I guess I'll open it to figure out how can I change bulbs, anyway I've to open all dashboard because as you see in the picture I've LED light problem in my gauge. Thanks it's worth to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What're the bulb sizes for the instrument cluster ?

Archived