LegacyGT.com

Hurting 5MT. 75/90 = no. SAE 110???

izdizef

Can I put SAE 110 in my transmission? I am getting notchy shifts before and after I changed to non-syn Valvoline 75/90 as the manual recommended.

The specific oil I am looking at is LE Duolec 1605.

This is for my 5MT Legacy BK.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't.

/thread.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i do want to stick with dino oil. i couldnt imagine that another brand of oil with the identical weight will give much of a difference. plus i dont really want to be stuck with a 5 gallon jug.

what would be the downsides? aside from added friction in the driveline. 75/90 actually works fine until it heats up and thins out.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using Wal-Marts Supertech after using Extra-S and so far I've noticed absolutely no difference during normal driving. I don't auto X my car, so I don't know how it would perform under those conditions.

this is such a pointless response. no one has yet to give me a solid reason against using the 110.

And I'm not going to anymore, if you are going to act like that.

Try it.

I won't recommend it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Go ahead and see what you think about the result. Too thick oil in the gearbox/diff isn't going to do more than cause sluggish shifts.

If it doesn't work out then you can always swap back.

453747.png

Go ahead and see what you think about the result. Too thick oil in the gearbox/diff isn't going to do more than cause sluggish shifts.

If it doesn't work out then you can always swap back.

I thought the higher weight would help because the synchronizers work fine initially but begin to fail and grind after driving the car for a bit. I figured that the 110 would stay thicker/cooler for longer and make the gears go in better at running temps.

Amsoil makes a 75w110 severe gear lube that worked very well in my 08 LGT for 25k. I then switched to extra-s and I would put them on equal ground - extra-S a bit better in very cold weather, AMSOIL a bit better at reducing drivetrain noise.

And I'm not going to anymore, if you are going to act like that.

Try it.

I won't recommend it.

How can you expect someone to consider your recommendation without including an explanation to support it...for all I know you are a some teenager who doesnt know jack. Im not looking for oil recommendations. I did that research myself. I want to hear some input about using this specific oil. My logic tells me that it would work. Maybe it is faulty, but it will take a logical explanation to convince me otherwise.

Im not looking for oil recommendations. I did that research myself.

OR

I want to hear some input about using this specific oil.

... :confused:

My logic tells me that it would work. Maybe it is faulty, but it will take a logical explanation to convince me otherwise.

You are so blinded by the superiority of your own ideas that you are not listening to anyone but yourself. Which is actually kind of funny because now more and more people are hoping you'll just put in 110 weight oil. :lol: Funnier still is you might actually do it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Put ice cream in it. It's got gobs of viscosity and has cooling properties, too. Be sure to post how well it holds up.

Synthetic and natural both have their adherents, but whichever you go with be sure to avoid types with nuts/berries/chocolate chips.

OR

... :confused:

You are so blinded by the superiority of your own ideas that you are not listening to anyone but yourself. Which is actually kind of funny because now more and more people are hoping you'll just put in 110 weight oil. :lol: Funnier still is you might actually do it.

u wrong

How can you expect someone to consider your recommendation without including an explanation to support it...for all I know you are a some teenager who doesnt know jack. Im not looking for oil recommendations. I did that research myself. I want to hear some input about using this specific oil. My logic tells me that it would work. Maybe it is faulty, but it will take a logical explanation to convince me otherwise.

I bet your logic is spot on. I mean, you pegged me for a "teenager who doesnt know jack".

I bet your logic is spot on. I mean, you pegged me for a "teenager who doesnt know jack".

With 4500 posts, you must have had to start posting by age 14...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

With 4500 posts, you must have had to start posting by age 14...

I wasn't much older than that when I rebuilt my first Subaru manual transmission.

Archived