LegacyGT.com

Hurting 5MT. 75/90 = no. SAE 110???

izdizef

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so..he a teenager? also you, drive an auto?

Yes, he's a teenager, and yes, I drive a 5eat. Do you seriously want to measure dicks? So far you've managed to earn the respect and admiration of... someone? You're doing great so far.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Uh, I'm not actually a teenager.

That was the whole joke. Get it?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yes, he's a teenager, and yes, I drive a 5eat. Do you seriously want to measure dicks? So far you've managed to earn the respect and admiration of... someone? You're doing great so far.

I srsly want to measure dicks. Lets do it man. Howd you know.

Not hating on auto's...I am asking about Gear oil though.

And thanks for the support Im really giving it my all here.

And because he has an auto, that means that his input is invalid?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I bet your logic is spot on. I mean, you pegged me for a "teenager who doesnt know jack".

go read my comment again. i wrote that 'for all i know' you dont know what your talking about. post count or anything like that is not an indicator of actual knowledge.

I wasn't much older than that when I rebuilt my first Subaru manual transmission.

Thats great for you and Im sure you know plenty about these transmissions. You still haven't said anything to the effect of the SAE 110 which is the whole point of this thread, to talk about a specific oil and its compatibility with the 5MT in my '97 .. not that im expecting you to be any help to me at this point.

OR

... :confused:

not sure what you are confused over anyway. the two sentences you quoted are not contradictory.

a recommendation is not what i need... im not asking for someone to suggest a specific oil to use. i have read every oil thread and know whats out there. input--what I was looking for--is different.

.. not that im expecting you to be any help to me at this point.

Maybe your logic isn't so bad afterall.

Your question was answered in the very first reply.

You haven't really responded to any of the actual input you've been given. So either you are a troll, you don't really know what you are asking, or you just aren't interested in responding to the people who are actually trying to help and just want to focus on wasting peoples time by responding to things that have nothing to do with the thread.

You haven't really responded to any of the actual input you've been given. So either you are a troll, you don't really know what you are asking, or you just aren't interested in responding to the people who are actually trying to help and just want to focus on wasting peoples time by responding to things that have nothing to do with the thread.

I have actually. Go to to the top of page 2.

Given that I may have overreacted to certain comments that I thought detracted from the point of the thread...

Thanks to the people who contributed to the thread, and to the Two people who spoke directly about the 110 and the results I might get.

who what when where WHY.

I read the whole thread and while it did make me laugh, I felt like I just watched judge judy or something. Good luck with the 110, I'm changing mine soon so I'm interested to see the result. I need something to kill my drivetrain noise though, it's so loud.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• I Donated

:lol:

Frankly, I'm a little unclear on what the problem is that you're trying to fix, anyway. If the problem is just notchy shifts, well, welcome to driving a Subaru 5MT. The fix is to sell the car and get one that isn't a Subaru. If the problem is something else, you haven't described it very well, so how do you expect to get good recommendations? Garbage in, garbage out.

:lol:

Frankly, I'm a little unclear on what the problem is that you're trying to fix, anyway. If the problem is just notchy shifts, well, welcome to driving a Subaru 5MT. The fix is to sell the car and get one that isn't a Subaru. If the problem is something else, you haven't described it very well, so how do you expect to get good recommendations? Garbage in, garbage out.

yes, notchy shifts, like i said before and like you said just now. joining a thread 3 pages in will usually end in confusion for you. i explained earlier that the problem deteriorates as the car warms up.

And somehow your logic indicates that you should be using a straight 110 weight fluid, why?

And somehow your logic indicates that you should be using a straight 110 weight fluid, why?

because when i first start driving the car cold the shifts are fine. then things warm up and shifts become more dramatic. i only have a basic understanding of fluids but i thought that this had to do with the fluid thinning out. the straight 110 was the lowest SAE number i could find above a 75-90.

Sounds more to me like the synchros are worn and the cold fluid is buffering it a bit until things get up to temp. Running a thicker fluid might continue to mask the issue for a while longer (potentially while causing other issues? Not sure, can't think of any). It won't solve the underlying problem though, and eventually it's going to show up again.

Should probably figure out why you're grinding with proper weight oil and fix that. Then again, I think Subaru only recommends extra-s, so maybe the syn you put in is too thin or something anyhow.

Sounds more to me like the synchros are worn and the cold fluid is buffering it a bit until things get up to temp. Running a thicker fluid might continue to mask the issue for a while longer (potentially while causing other issues? Not sure, can't think of any). It won't solve the underlying problem though, and eventually it's going to show up again.

Should probably figure out why you're grinding with proper weight oil and fix that. Then again, I think Subaru only recommends extra-s, so maybe the syn you put in is too thin or something anyhow.

The synchros are indeed worn. Probably due for a rebuild but like you said Im just looking to mask the issue for now.

The oil im using now is actually a dino Valvoline 75/90.

Well, it might mask the issue, but I'd be surprised. You can probably mask it better with driving habits than you can with thicker fluid. You could try one of the magic cocktails and see if that does anything for you, it's probably a better bet than just going to a fluid that's too thick.

Either way, at some point you're going to have to just rebuild it.

Well, it might mask the issue, but I'd be surprised. You can probably mask it better with driving habits than you can with thicker fluid. You could try one of the magic cocktails and see if that does anything for you, it's probably a better bet than just going to a fluid that's too thick.

Either way, at some point you're going to have to just rebuild it.

It's definitely taught me better driving habits. The only way to get smooth shift into 2nd is if I match revs, double clutching helps too.

I am a bit tempted to try the 110 --Id be so pumped if it all worked out and I could prove the nay sayers wrong :cool: . Just an expensive price to pay to be the guinea pig at $16/qt. Maybe I'll just go with the extra S from Fred Bean.

From NASIOC:

What brand/type of transmission fluid should I use and how do I do it myself?

The Subaru 5MT can be a picky about what fluid you should use. Popular fluids that have a large fan base are:

a. OEM fluid AKA Subaru Extra-S

b. Uncle Scotty's Cocktail of 1qt Redline lightweight shockproof, 1qt Pennzoil or GM Synchromesh, 2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90

c. Redline lightweight shockproof

d. Motul 300

While we are big fans of sticking to OEM fluids on NASIOC, this is one case where using something not SOA recommended has shown actual benefit, mainly in helping with synchro interaction.

• I Donated
yes, notchy shifts, like i said before and like you said just now. joining a thread 3 pages in will usually end in confusion for you. i explained earlier that the problem deteriorates as the car warms up.

No confusion. I read the thread. You just hadn't described the problem well at all. Now that you've said you can't get into second without rev-matching or double-clutching, it's slightly easier to understand what the problem is.

Either way, heavier gear oil will just make it harder to shift. It will mask the synchro problem by making the rest of the gearbox not work as well, too. Also, I have seen a few mentions online that say it may exacerbate other types of wear in the transmission.

The reason the problem manifests itself only when warm, IMO, is that metal expands and contracts based on temperature. My guess is there is enough clearance between the different parts of the synchro to mesh easily when cold, but as it warms up, the way the synchros have worn makes them not mesh as easily.

I've seen Extra-S work better even than top-shelf premium synthetic gear oils. I've seen it put an immediate end to synchro problems, such as yours, on... the 5mt :eek: But you would be best to ignore this paragraph, and the other 10 people who've said Extra-S, so you can perhaps "win" your self-imposed contest against 'us.'

I have not seen any automotive fluid work as well in any situation, except Marvel Mystery Oil, which unstuck a family Audi's variable valve timing mechanism, negating the need for a severely expensive repair that would have involved pulling the engine.

A wise man once asked, "What's more important than being right?"

The correct answer is of course, "Nothing."

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived