LegacyGT.com

Single Tip exhaust on Legacy?

I've been wanting to do a single exhaust as well. It should be 3" from the dp flange to a 3" resonator and then 3" piping to a 3" muffler with a low key tip.

I got one quote from a shop for about $700 with me providing the resonator and the muffler. I'd be interested in a cheaper solution.

Someone here with an Outback wagon did his own and it came out really nice. Unfortunately I don't have that skillset or tool collection.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my. That is intense. I want the invidia N1 because it gave my buddy's WRX (FULL) performance. The HKS was good but the Invidia did him better. Haha. If I had to keep my duals, I would get the Agency Power or HKS Si Hi Power. They look NASTY. :)

this was done by a guy in NY too. its loud. you dont want to take the dual and cut off and seal one pipe at the Y because the piping drops to a smaller diameter and would be restrictive. I ran custom dual straight pipes in place of the canisters on my old Megan exhaust and they sounded super mean!!

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

Oh my. That is intense. I want the invidia N1 because it gave my buddy's WRX (FULL) performance. The HKS was good but the Invidia did him better. Haha. If I had to keep my duals, I would get the Agency Power or HKS Si Hi Power. They look NASTY. :)

So just to be clear, you are ordering an Invidia N1 and having it bent to fit based on your friend's experience with a WRX where the N1 offered him more performance gains than some HKS exhaust that he had.

HKS quality > Invidia, to be honest, Invidia aren't exactly known for quality. They are affordable while remaining a "brand name". Many people including myself have had fitment problems with their products. I have a friend who is master tech for toyota/lexus/mb/porsche/ferrari(current) and Invida once gave him prototype exhaust and headers for his wrx and evo to test. While the prototype were great, the final product that his brother received were totally different. Turned out they cut material here and there to save cost and ultimately produced an inferior product.

Any dreams of filling in the cutout on the other side?

I've seen a member swapped a JDM rear bumper. With those bumpers you can order OEM(JDM) painted P/S side cut-out cap to make the bumper look single side from factory. That was the design for JDM 2.5i. It will work perfect with an exhaust like hks hi-power because it's already a bit short at the end. JDM rear bumpers are not as wide just like the JDM front compared to USDM so it would be a good match... that is... if you can find one. :p

FWIW save your money buy a muffler you want and take it to an exhaust shop to have them make a custom pipe to fit your car. I paid about $250 total for my exhaust.....kinda sounds like a waste of money to buy the full dual and hack it at the y. But if money is no issue than by all means.... :)

Update. The exhaust comes in on Thursday this time. ill at least put it on before it is custom bent and post a picture and sound video. Then, ill post a pic of proper fitment after I have it bent.

UPDATE: The exhaust needs bent about 15 degrees and hangars will need to be welded on. I did manage to get a sound clip of it on the downpipe unmounted, and I will post that later. (My camcorder is recharging.) For now, I am running open downpipe until the exhaust is customized tomorrow night because the stock exhaust weld broke at the resonator. FAIL. So I will give you the sound quality later and the FULL video tomorrow if everything goes well. I will keep you posted.

My open downpipe scared my chihuahua so bad, she hasn't come out from under the recliner in an hour. Hahahaha.

Sorry guys. Work has been wearing me out. I am currently uploading the video to my laptop and I will upload it to YouTube. Bear with me.

I talked to the guys at the exhaust shop on Saturday, and they said the bend cannot be done. They said they can make the pipe and use the invidia muffler. But I don't feel like messing with all this so I am selling the exhaust to my buddy and I am going to either order an oem style exhaust that is loud. I heard Perrin makes really good aftermarket OEM style exhausts. I may have a single exit made by that shop. They can do stainless and weld a can on.

SO, I need opinions. Should I do custom single exit with can w/ 4.5" tip or order a Perrin?

Like I said, the video is uploading.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX69ASGnfv4]YouTube - Legacy GT single exhaust (Not mounted.)[/ame]

Sorry for the below average sound quality.

At least I could bolt the flange so we could all listen to single exit. :)

Not bad ladies and gents but I would recommend having custom exhausts made if you want single outlet. It will save you problems in the long run.

That sucks. Well I don't like the Invidia Q300 so I guess I am getting a custom single outlet made and using an N1 muffler. I would like AP's dual can exhaust but I want performance over looks and the single will do about the same thing and it will be different and cheaper. So, when I have this made, I will make a video and post it. I will keep you guys posted.

Like I said earlier, easier to get a muffler and have a custom one made. Plus the nice thing with the single exit you can go 3" all the way back. Most (if not all) the aftermarket exhausts for the Legacy starts at 3" and turns into 2.5" at the Y.

Here is my clip...sound is pretty good in the video....it might even be louder in person...lol. Also didn't get a chance to get a close up idle......the memory card filled up at the end while my husband was heading to the back :lol:

Like I said earlier, easier to get a muffler and have a custom one made. Plus the nice thing with the single exit you can go 3" all the way back. Most (if not all) the aftermarket exhausts for the Legacy starts at 3" and turns into 2.5" at the Y.

Here is my clip...sound is pretty good in the video....it might even be louder in person...lol. Also didn't get a chance to get a close up idle......the memory card filled up at the end while my husband was heading to the back :lol:

That sounds good! What muffler did you use, and can you post any pics from under the car? Thanks

Archived