LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 2009 GT Limited what can I do to it?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand its convenient to have us all answer your questions about many things in your thread, but if everyone on the site did this, we'd have no way of efficiently searching for information.

So, without being rude, I'm asking you to search for some threads about headers (there are 100s) or anything else you have questions about. Searching will answer probably 99% of your questions.

If you can't find the info, that's when you post a thread. :)

Welcome. The first thing you have to do is have a plan and make a budget and stick to it. You can spend alot of money really fast and then not be happy. Do you have a power goal that is realistic? It's always good to go for a ride in a local members car so you can get a real world ideal of what different mods do. When we tested my FMIC I got to see alot of combo. If you have questions let me know.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I have a shorty Dp , hi flow catt and 3 muffler and I never had a problem making power. I got my used Flow shorty DP for $75 shipped. Not to say the other dp's aren't good but, I haven't see anything that shows the extra cost made a big difference.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Shorty dp are just a dp that replaces removes the catt just after the turbo. With that you can still keep your last stock catt if you like or like me run a 3" tbe setup.

I'm not a big fan of header. No matter. How much you spend they will crack sooner or later. That is why I'm still running stock exhaust manifolds. That is one less thing to worry about. I made be leaving some power on the table but, 340whp on pump and 370+ on e85 is more then enough for a family daily driven station wagon. But that's just me.

If you have questions about the parts that will get you to your power goals let me know. And no, I'm not going to try to sale you my FMIC. It may not be for you and I just hate see members waste money on modds they don't need. Bryan

Without a tune not much. Depending on the modds you have and a tune maybe 10whp. For example the test car I used had perrin headers and had about the same modds I have including the same tuner and rwg. I have a 2.4 inlet 7cm hotside 20g and he has a slightly small 68HTA. On pump gas he maked 330whp on pump gas and I make 340whp with stock manifolds. I only run 20psi and he runs 23psi. The headers helps the smaller turbo spool and hold boost. But, it still didn't make as much power as mine. His car is by no means slow. But, a bigger turbo will give you more power for less money (good headers aren't cheap.) and you don't have to worry about the headers cracking. That's just MHO.

They are fine. They can sometime throw off the maf abit but, can still be easily tuned. Also the stock tune is not great anyway. It's way too rich. Have you evry looked at a stock rom? It awful.

No, you should be fine without a tune. Just after you install the air filter disconnect your attery cable and pump the brakes 10 imes and leave the cable disconnected for atleast 10 minutes. You do that to make you ECU (Engine Control Unit) reset. Onces your ECU resets it will start to learn the new air cleaner. I tune my car with opensource so I just plug up my laptop and reset it.

Rom or map is the program the runs your ECU to control your car. When they tune your car they change the setting. But, you should always log your car after a tune just to make sure your car is running OK. Then after a couple of days check your learning view. It's not hard to do.

I'm not sure the size they are but, I would recommend changing both if you want your car neutral. I'm the last post you can check out all my mods and my reviews of them. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mods-youve-done-order-your-car-31762p6.html

When you say neutral do you mean the same size for the front and the rear? This might be and probably be a stupid quest

I mean when take a corner hard the back doesn't slide out and the front doesn't push. It is more likely to hold the line or do a 4 wheel drift.

When you say neutral do you mean the same size front and back? Also, is it recommend to lower the car when you get bigger Sawyer bars or can you leave it alone? I lowered my last legacy and the ride was just to harsh. I wouldn't lower it again.

You don't have to lower the car with bigger bars. Your ride depends on your combo I had H-tech springs and after a few months rode very harsh. I now have KW v.2 and 2yrs later itstill ride great. Most have said my car ride like BMW firm. My stock springs were too floaty

rallitek makes a good combo set, front and rear bars....rather inexpensive too. I had them on my 09 2.5i and now on my 08 LGT in combination with the rallitek lowering sport springs. The catted and catless downpipe is preference, once tuned you will not have a check engine light so in terms of inspection- the computer reads emissions passed.

There are minor horsepower gains from a catless verse catted. IMO catless is the easiest way to go as long as you have access to a tuner or get an accessport. A catted dp is more expensive- and if you're nitpicking, can reduce hp gain compared to catless. (only by a few hp). I just installed an invidia catless dp and it's beautiful- I have local access to a protuner so it was no prob getting tuned for it, and have the means to install it with my magnaflow exhaust...

Some people say they are bothered by the exhaust fume with catless setup. But, what he says above is true.

Vote no on the endlinks. 6yrs later my stock endlinks are still fine. If it's not broke don't fix it. Stock endlinks are sealed and doesn't give you the clunk problem a lot of people have with aftermarket endlinks. People on this site auto-x with stock endlinks. Just MHO.

I have whiteline adj. F&R sways. The good thing about those if you want a stiffer bar you can adjust it. Since I have my coil overs I set both bars on the softer setting and the car is very compliant. It never just snaps out of line it does smooth and easy to control drifts if it does break loose.

the gimmick (GMS) system is OK, has fitment issues though, I couldn't get the tips to lineup properly in my 09 2.5i when I had that system. It sounded like asshole on a 2.5i too so I went back to stock and had had enough of N/A and traded it in for an 08 LGT :lol:

well you have a GT so most anything will sound good, however I do know some vendors are no longer going to stock the GMS systems because of the backlash of customers with fitment issues. my magnaflow system was NICE. i recommend. that and a downpipe is a worthwhile upgrade....and if you don't have a tuner near you....you'll need a cobb accessport for the tuning solution.

pretty much. an accessport allows you to plug in to your ecu and flash to an appropriate map for the mods you have. open source is the other option- better but less functionality since you go by appointment, the accessport you can carry around and switch maps and read check engine lights and do some logging. you're paying for the convenience but is very handy and good for a beginner....

Archived